BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Greatest 100 Players Of All Time

neekoy

Maybe the top 50? It becomes more and more subjective as the list goes on. It's easy to name one's top 10-20 but thereafter is trickier.

For the record:

1.Pele

2.Diego Maradona

3.George Best

4.Johann Cruyff

5.Zinedine Zidane

6.Ferenc Puskas

7.Franz Beckenbauer

8.Alfredo DiStefano

9.Franco Baresi

10.Zico

Edited by Rovermatt

Passerella

Kempes

Rivelino

Ronaldo

Nilton

Stoichkov

Nedved

Suker

Banks

Henry

Deschamps

Carlos Alberto

Desailly

Thuram

Viera

Muller

Kahn

Fachetti

Rossi

Gullit

Eusebio

Dalglish

Schevchenko

Yashin

Matthews

Garrincha

Jairzinho

Klinsmann

Rummenigge

Meazza

Rivelino

Rush

Fontaine

Zoff

Keegan

Gascoigne

Glenn Hoddle

Sócrates

Roberto Carlos

Riva

Giggs

Maier

Robson

Sammer

Weah

Neeskens

Van Basten

Rijkaard

M Laudrup

Linekar

Keegan

Cafu

Seaman

Raul

Figo

Rui Costa

Cannavaro

Nesta

Scholes

Keane

Kaka

Blanc

Bartez

Toldo

Casillas

Hierro

Redondo

Ricardo Zamora

Camacho

Makalele

Davids

Koeman

Popescu

Larsson

MARK HUGHES

No, it's not possible. Without trying to be the sourpuss here, it will always be subjective and always a matter of "50s vs 90s" and so on.

To have Ronaldinho ahead of Roby Baggio.. or "forgetting" Francesco Totti for that matter. There's too many players, too many overnegative / overpositive views, to ever make such a list.

That being said, feel free to continue the debate without me, I was just answering to the original question.

I think it would be possible to have a list of the 100 greatest players, but ranking them within that 100 would be too subjective and would have too much debate. I would be surprised if something of this sort wasn't done at the turn of the century.

I thought the debate might be enlightening. The way to collate would be for people to make their submissions from a 'greater' pool and then points would be awarded. #100 = 1, #1 = 100.

Whichever players had the highest points would be ranked accordingly. It also spices it up on here because we have such a diverse spectrum of contributors. Older, Younger, British, International ect ect.

So your having Seaman and not Shilton?

That wasn't my top 100, I was just contributing some names to a possible pool of talent.

I am happy to work through the collation and come up with a result. We just need an Admin who can keep control of the posts. :tu:

Pires? Emre? What a strange list.

Add to that Diouf.

What's even worse is that there is no Garrincha or Van Basten. This was Pele's political top 125 which copped an absolute hiding from all centres.

I think there is even the chick from the US of A in the top 100. A disgrace and a waste of time.

Add to that Diouf.

What's even worse is that there is no Garrincha or Van Basten. This was Pele's political top 125 which copped an absolute hiding from all centres.

I think there is even the chick from the US of A in the top 100. A disgrace and a waste of time.

2 actually. And they're the greatest female footballers of all time, so I can definitely see why they're on the list. Mia Hamm was a phenom.

2 actually. And they're the greatest female footballers of all time, so I can definitely see why they're on the list. Mia Hamm was a phenom.

Um yeh ok, but better then Van Basten? I would hazzard a guess, even at his current status he would turn them both inside out.

As I said, a disgrace.

Neekoy, have you prepared that list yourself? Some good shouts there, but i'm surprised Souness hasn't been mentioned. He was (imo) the best Bristish midfielder of the early to mid 80's. Much better than the over-rated Hoddle and injury prone Robson.

michel platini should be somewhere on that list imo?

to be honest the 100 greatest players of all time is all about different opinions. how can you say someone is or was the greatest player in the world?

different generations, positions, facilities, training it is impossible to choose 1 player?

even if you chose the greatest player in every position, how can you justify the best player in the team? i.e a striker can't save shots?

No, it's not possible. Without trying to be the sourpuss here, it will always be subjective and always a matter of "50s vs 90s" and so on.

To have Ronaldinho ahead of Roby Baggio.. or "forgetting" Francesco Totti for that matter. There's too many players, too many overnegative / overpositive views, to ever make such a list.

That being said, feel free to continue the debate without me, I was just answering to the original question.

I know you have a man crush on him, but no was is Totti one of the top 100 of all times.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.