BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Absentee Season Tickets

Okay, on the 15th I'm buying a season ticket for 2007-2008.

Unless my Highly Skilled Migrant Programme application goes through, I will likely not be in a position to attend matches.

Thus I plan to donate my ticket to some local charity/school/ManUre fan who's seen the light/etc.

Would anyone else be willing to go in with me to purchase a block of seats so that the worthy cause could actually send a chaperone/parents/etc with the lucky youth/whoever?

And does anyone here know who I'd contact with the club to arrange for the seat to be donated? I'm under the impression that with the season ticket card it's not as if there are paper tickets that can be freely handed out any more.

We've talked about doing this several times on this board. It's time to do something about it. I've got 300 quid earmarked for this, and I'd like to see if anyone else will step up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, on the 15th I'm buying a season ticket for 2007-2008.

Unless my Highly Skilled Migrant Programme application goes through, I will likely not be in a position to attend matches.

Thus I plan to donate my ticket to some local charity/school/ManUre fan who's seen the light/etc.

Would anyone else be willing to go in with me to purchase a block of seats so that the worthy cause could actually send a chaperone/parents/etc with the lucky youth/whoever?

And does anyone here know who I'd contact with the club to arrange for the seat to be donated? I'm under the impression that with the season ticket card it's not as if there are paper tickets that can be freely handed out any more.

We've talked about doing this several times on this board. It's time to do something about it. I've got 300 quid earmarked for this, and I'd like to see if anyone else will step up.

Well done driftpeasant! Excellent sentiments. I've often opined on here that our distant fans love the craic on here and the official board etc but do nothing to cross the clubs palm with much needed silver. You set a sterling example to em all. C'mon Don, Dave, Philip etc I bet you can easily afford 75pence or so per day to show your support of your beloved team......and you know that you'll feel so much better for it........ :tu:

Driftpeasant, fine effort, I'd be happy to join in with you. I remember USABlue's thread a while ago and I'd suggested the BRISA folk might want to get involved. An idea might be - if there's enough to get a few STs - to have someone from the club administer them (for example make them available to a couple of youngsters and parents via their school). If there's work going on behind the scenes then great, but I could see this disappearing into a black hole of bureaucracy so I'd be keen to get your idea moving pronto.

Driftpeasant, fine effort, I'd be happy to join in with you. I remember USABlue's thread a while ago and I'd suggested the BRISA folk might want to get involved. An idea might be - if there's enough to get a few STs - to have someone from the club administer them (for example make them available to a couple of youngsters and parents via their school). If there's work going on behind the scenes then great, but I could see this disappearing into a black hole of bureaucracy so I'd be keen to get your idea moving pronto.

If BRISA can point me towards who I need to speak to at Rovers to get a block of tickets administered that would be ideal. Or if BRISA wants to take the lead on setting up the arrangement, that would work too. But I just figured it was time to put our money where are mouths are and make a commitment and buy some tickets.

So far as I'm aware there is no effort underway at present to see this goal through.

...AND just to get things moving a little more briskly, I've issued a challenge to the US Chelsea fans and the US Fulham fans via their message boards to see which club's supporters can raise more tickets for charity. I'm working my way through the US supporters associations of the other Prem teams (with the exceptions of Charlton, Watford, and West Ham) until they're all involved in this.

And if we, with the cheapest season tickets in the Prem, can't win this, I'm ashamed of us all. I'm working on putting up a prize for the winning club's supporters.

Come on you lot - it's for a good cause and helps our beloved Rovers. It's a win-win situation.

Unfortunately a season ticket in Aussie dollars about $1,000 so it is out for me. My wife and kid come before my football.

Good luck to you though Driftpeasant it is a noble idea.

Then donate SOME money, mate. If everyone donated 15 or 20 dollars/pounds/whatever, we can buy more. I personally am buying a full season ticket. That doesn't mean you have to go quite that far to help out.

This is for Rovers and for charity, mate. Open the purse a little, eh? :tu:

Well done driftpeasant! Excellent sentiments. I've often opined on here that our distant fans love the craic on here and the official board etc but do nothing to cross the clubs palm with much needed silver. You set a sterling example to em all. C'mon Don, Dave, Philip etc I bet you can easily afford 75pence or so per day to show your support of your beloved team......and you know that you'll feel so much better for it........ :tu:

Hey 'drog! A few things you need to consider with regards to us "distant supporters"..........

We buy kits from the club website.

We buy programmes from Programme Master.

We pay for Rovers World.

We pay satellite subscription fees for the Setantas & Fox (Murdoch) Soccer Channels of

the world. Just where do you think Sky is getting all this extra cash to give the PL?

Some of us even buy the occasional ticket and travel THOUSANDS of miles for a match.

In summation; WE DO PLENTY to put silver in the hands of the club. So shove it up your ***, you jerk. :angry:

Drifter, it's a nice idea you've got.

Hey 'drog! A few things you need to consider with regards to us "distant supporters"..........

We pay for Rovers World.

We pay satellite subscription fees for the Setantas & Fox (Murdoch) Soccer Channels of

the world. Just where do you think Sky is getting all this extra cash to give the PL?

Some of us even buy the occasional ticket and travel THOUSANDS of miles for a match.

In summation; WE DO PLENTY to put silver in the hands of the club. So shove it up your ***, you jerk. :angry:

hope that shuts the drog up for a while, (the guy who thinks he is right all the time)

Well you know I'm in on this. As said before, I'm not sure I can buy one season ticket all on my own, but I can definitely contribute a good chunk.

I've been kicking this idea around a lot the past few years and now that I'm FINALLY in a position to do something about it (the Hotel Industry pays sh!t) I'm going to make that step. I was thinking about even shooting this request to Radio Rovers as I've asked them for a few things in the past and they've been all too eager to help. Plus this will get the word out to other foreign fans who might not visit this site to either do the same or at least contribute to the cause.

As for thenodrog's comments, get a life, you cantankerous blowhard. You spend quite a long time judging and critisizing a lot of this world's population on this messageboard. And with all of that disdain, you'd think you might spare the members of a messageboard who share at least ONE interest with you. But if you are more comfy sitting in your basement typing out your manifesto, then have fun. It's a lot more fun out in the sun, if you ask me....

We pay for Rovers World.

Hear hear. I have as almost as many rovers shirts in my closet as I do regular street shirts. Not sure how much of our money makes it into Rovers coffers but we do spend. a PPV match can be $20ish, if it's rovers we get the game. I know what your argument will be but all the same it is money out of our pockets to watch rovers. Brand that as you will. We still pay to follow our team it's not all a bunch of tight fisted cheap skates watching rovers for free as you seem to imply, too bloody frequently at that.

I also kick off the sponsoring of a kid for half season tickets, seems like it was too difficult to legislate. Many other fans pledged their cash from afar for that also.

So here's my challenge to you Mr big mouth, you set it up, you work the logisitcs, you decide the how, where and when the tickets will be distributed and THEN see how many overseas Rovers fans keep their wallets closed.

Time for YOU to put up or shut up too Gordon. There the Gauntlet is down on the ground my friend.

Who is our BRISA representative anyway?

I'd think it'd be best to have this request sent through the club as they've already got charities they help throughout the year. That way we can cut out the ticket office and go straight to the source.

As for my part in the purchasing, I cannot do anything until April as I'm closing on a house and until closing I have to keep tight the wallet...

The funny thing is that I pointed out in an earlier thread (end of last season?) how much we contribute, especially the 5 or 6 million Rovers received from overseas rights (at the time I pointed out it paid for Bellamy) and he admitted he hadn't known that and was pleasantly surprised (not the exact wording, but actually admitting he might have been wrong about it).

Methinks they do protest too much. I think that I must have touched a (rather guilty) nerve with some of our distant cousins. :rover:

Hey Big Spenders........Tell you all what I'll put the difference in price between my new ST (about £150) and my old one into driftpeasants kitty if the nine affronted posters between my earlier post and this will contribute the same amount ....... No cheating mind.

btw neekoy consider this, when your kids left home to live his/her own life in the big wide world and your missus has bgugrred off with your best mate the Rovers will still be there for you. ;)

Hey Big Spenders........Tell you all what I'll put the difference in price between my new ST (about £150) and my old one into driftpeasants kitty if the nine affronted posters between my earlier post and this will contribute the same amount ....... No cheating mind.

Did I just see a pig fly through the air?

Methinks they do protest too much. I think that I must have touched a (rather guilty) nerve with some of our distant cousins. :rover:

btw neekoy consider this, when your kids left home to live his/her own life in the big wide world and your missus has bgugrred off with your best mate the Rovers will still be there for you. ;)

Don't turn this into a p!ssing contest, Gordo. If anyone wants to contribute it's up to them, and there should be no cause for ANYone to raise questions about it. Keep your 150 quid and spend it on getting laid...it sounds like you need it. Different people have different priorities and fiscal responsibilities and that shouldn't be questiooned by anyone, especially from some anonymous putz on a messageboard...

And you also keep your snide remarks to yourself about guilty consciences and the like. We "protest" because we don't like someone call us out on something so idiotic as to how much you spend as equated to how big of a supporter you are. If dollars/pounds/kroner/rupees/yen equates to supporter level, let me know so I know where I stand with you...

And for anyone who is actually interested with this endeavor I've just gotten this request answered by the Chairman's PA. I'm not sure how much she'll be able to help, but at least I've gotten a somewhat official reply from across the pond...

As for thenodrog's comments, get a life, you cantankerous blowhard. You spend quite a long time judging and critisizing a lot of this world's population on this messageboard. And with all of that disdain, you'd think you might spare the members of a messageboard who share at least ONE interest with you. But if you are more comfy sitting in your basement typing out your manifesto, then have fun. It's a lot more fun out in the sun, if you ask me....

Don't turn this into a p!ssing contest, Gordo. If anyone wants to contribute it's up to them, and there should be no cause for ANYone to raise questions about it. Keep your 150 quid and spend it on getting laid...it sounds like you need it. Different people have different priorities and fiscal responsibilities and that shouldn't be questiooned by anyone, especially from some anonymous putz on a messageboard...

And you also keep your snide remarks to yourself

Kettle and pot eh? Hyper? :lol:

Kettle and pot eh? Hyper? :lol:

Nice work in cutting my post off to suit your purposes. You a journo in training? the rest of the sentence was this "And you also keep your snide remarks to yourself about guilty consciences and the like."

I was referencing a specific remark you made, not just slagging you for no reason.

Again, top marks for your use of the convenient cut and paste...

Heh Heh, I hope you are willing at that point to get in your Rovers shirt and get down on your knees for me champion :lol:

Yes, that was 'drog. He just took one on the chin from neekoy.

Hey, don't get me involved, they only thing I have put on Drog's chin is........um never mind

I don't feel guilty about not purchasing a season ticket, if I was living over there I would but I have other things at this point in time to spend my hard earned on.

If that doesn't make me a REAL fan then so be it, I know where my heart is in football and I will keep the dream alive by populating the earth with future Rover right wingers and left backs :rover:

EDIT: To add, feel free to bitch and moan the first time I complain about the amount of transfer funds available Mr Hughes

Archived