BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Sold ??

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hold on what's to stop the cameras being in the Riverside stand, but the commentators and everything else involved with the media remaining in the JW Stand? I'm sure there is no reason why the media have to be in the same stand as the cameras.

'And Blackburn Rovers kick off the second half from right to left toward their home supporters on the Blackburn end stand...... err no I mean left to right as you at home are looking at it'.....

'The away supporters behind the goal to our right are going crazy'......

'And with 10 mins still to play the Rovers supporters on the far side are already starting to leave'......

Nah, the camera's and the commentators really have to be on the same side imo.

Guest fernhurstblue

a 15,000 might be a bit OTT ..... rovers with a capacity of 40,000 - don't think so! a riverside with a 9,000 capacity like the jws might be more realistic. it would take a good season or so to build which would mean a reduced capacity of 25,000. at the moment people know they can stroll down to the ticket at 2.30 on most matchdays and get a seat of their choice ..... a reduced capacity MIGHT increase demand as people realise the above would not apply ..... this would increase match day (non-ticket sales) revenue and hopefully improve the atmosphere, this coupled with a good season on the pitch (note good season and not good second half as in the last two) could have a snow ball effect and if the board were to retained the VERY COMPETITIVE pricing could, just could result in rovers averaging somwhere between 25 - 27,000 with the extra capacity (35,000) used for the usual suspects.

a lot of 'mights' and 'coulds' in there and maybe its could cuckoo land but if rovers are to survive in the top flight in the long run its something that needs to be seriously considered. :rover:

ps - the views of the rest of the ground might look good from the riverside but as an outsider looking in, it looks championship at best and i personally would be in favour of the re-development ..... as for the argument about the playing side suffering at the expense of a new stand its all about striking the right balance.

Stuwilky, if it can be built with funding and sponsorship at minimal cost to the club and Hughes still has a very good wedge of coin to strengthen the squad why the hell would any Rovers supporter protest against it?

Perhaps you would want to increase the size of the initial "IF" SG - Its a massive one, for example if we could get sponsorship for the stand, or a partnership deal (the way Nob End have done) and the stand would cost us less than £1m then I would consider it to be a worthwhile investment. Its unlikely that we will ever need a stadium with a capacity higher than our current one, however I wonder if a reason for hanging back is to actually see what happens if we can continue building on the pitch.

The rich list quote was a bit mischevious. :lol:

The point still stands though, we'll never be financially as well off as we are right now. I ask once more - when would you rebuild it?

No-one's really answered that one. [except for the "just before it falls down") comments. Oh, and the "when we can attract 30000 regular fans". ;)

I have answered it Den, given current market conditions I wouldnt even be considering it for the next 10 years, failing a significant (and unique to Rovers) change in trading conditions - or an influx of funding from somewhere - which would have to be limited to structure as Id love £5m to be spent on the team not a stand.

This happens all the time threads just wonder of onto another topic this has turned into a topic about updating the riverside when it should be about rovers getting sold, there hasnt been the slightest indication that the stand is going to be upgraded.

For the riverside if we was to redevelop it then they could make it so there isnt too many more seats, just add more corporate areas or a hotel, and maybe even a standing area if we could get permission?

They could also add inside a better concourse with seating and different eating outlets, like they had at leeds.

I think you mention the only two reasons why the club should consider doing anything of this sort in the near future:

a) if it includes some sort of alternative business venture such as a hotel

B) if they find some way to have legal standing areas

Both could be beneficial to the club and justify the cost.

'And Blackburn Rovers kick off the second half from right to left toward their home supporters on the Blackburn end stand...... err no I mean left to right as you at home are looking at it'.....

'And with 10 mins still to play the Rovers supporters on the far side are already starting to leave'......

What an expertly drawn up argument! :blink:

So, the commentators have to slightly adjust their wording if they ever wanted to discuss events in relation to where the commentators themselves are sitting (which they hardly ever do anyway - and why would they?)??? Well bloody hell, I guess that rules that out then! Not.

As for building a new stand, I think it's got to be done. Like someone said, we wouldn't necessarily have to build a much BIGGER stand, rather one with better facilities and that looks the part. People might say that there is no need to build one when our attendances are so low, but one could argue that the fact the Riverside is so shyte could be putting off potential spectators. I have only sat in the Riverside when it's been pretty sunny to be honest so it wasn't that bad, but I would never consider buying a season ticket in there - what with the lack of cover, obstructed view, shoddy facilities etc.

The club must realise that to create our product into something that is demanded on a regular basis, they must provide a reason for that demand.

I guess they could commentate from TV screens. But I think SKY and the BBC was ultimately a daft arrangement, and you would hear plenty of comments in quiet periods of play:

"Well Trev, its an odd set up here, we can see ourselves in the cameras. There I am waving, and there you are next to me you cheating jowly West Ham git"

"Yes John, I believe they moved the cameras to try and conceal the fact that fans were so keen to leave in the final ten minutes of matches, and that the Riverside stand is sort of rubbish"

"Yes Trev, ho ho ho"

That would happen every bloody match on Sky.

There must be something that the club could organise with the help of our "award-winning council" to receive some regeneration money for doing it up surely?

FLB, I don't think that there will be a pot of either central or local government money that would cover a commercial enterprise such as Rovers increasing the value of its assets.

FLB, I don't think that there will be a pot of either central or local government money that would cover a commercial enterprise such as Rovers increasing the value of its assets.

Check Preston North End's deal for the construction of their very own White Elephant.

Check Preston North End's deal for the construction of their very own White Elephant.

Have you got a link or info for that Stu? I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

I'm used to it, Mrs Colin does it all the time.

A new stand could have a significant proportion of it made into an elevated area where disabled spectators can watch the game from. The JJB has areas like these but they are smaller and in each stand whereas we could make a single larger one to occupy space in a new Riverside.

Hold on what's to stop the cameras being in the Riverside stand, but the commentators and everything else involved with the media remaining in the JW Stand? I'm sure there is no reason why the media have to be in the same stand as the cameras.

I'm pretty sure I've read from Lee on here that we can't have the cameras over the other side because they'd be facing the sun all the time (when its out of course).

Have you got a link or info for that Stu? I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

I'm used to it, Mrs Colin does it all the time.

Colin, PNE's stand is being built in partnership with the NHS.

The scheme includes a new 4,500-seat East

Stand, which will incorporate public health clinic.

The clinic will be operated by Preston Primary Care Trust,

and will cater for approximately 10,500 patients.

One interesting question here about the Riverside, did they totally remove the old terracing or did they build the existing stand on top?

the old terracing is 100% defo underneath the stand we put all the cables in when the ground was rebuilt and if anyone who says different is wrong .

Why cant we do something similar then?.....fantastic bit of business and PR for North end that.

Anything over 1 million cost to Rovers Stu and its a no go for you?....come on now,please be realistic.

Thank you Abbey, I was certain they used the old terracing as a 'base' for the new one.

Why cant we do something similar then?.....fantastic bit of business and PR for North end that.

Anything over 1 million cost to Rovers Stu and its a no go for you?....come on now,please be realistic.

Thank you Abbey, I was certain they used the old terracing as a 'base' for the new one.

I was being very realistic, anything higher than that could be far better invested in the playing squad, with the theory that hiogjher profile players attract more suuporters, whose cash could go towards the new stand, a new stand in itself will not attract many (if any) new fans, its not like the newer stands with state of the art facilities are packed is it....

Its not about attracting more fans,its about improving a stand with poor facilities that lets Ewood down badly.

In which case its effectively a waste of money then. Its not good improving the aethetics when the cash can be better spent elsewhere. AS you yourself often bemoan - the clubs needs more supporters, a better squad is more likely to do that than a stand which we do not NEED.

Improving facilities a waste of time? :huh:

If it isnt going to have any other benefit, then yes. As Scotty and several other riversiders have said - they are quite happy with the stand.

It wouldnt take a new stand to make better facilities, it would be relavtively easier to build a "back" part behind the stand with some facilities in it. It would cost a hell of a lot less.

Anyway, I can see we are never going to agree on this matter! :D

Archived