BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Sold ??

I've always thought that we could build an ingenious steep stand (single or double tier) up to the height of the other stands that would look good but wouldn't increase the capacity significantly. However this would only be for aesthetic reasons really but it would make Ewood a great ground.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Riverside needs redeveloping, no question. We aim to become and remain a top premiership side and it simply will not do. I heard from a reliable source that considerable money is having to be pumped into the thing to make sure it stays safe and that money is wasted.

We need some decent facilities for disabled people as has been mentioned. An elevated platform with indoor facilities for them so that even if they can't see the match from outside they can sit with other 'indoor' fans and get the atmosphere whilst being with other Rovers fans, watching through windows and/or on a large screen. It is hard enough being disabled, why shouldn't the club support their most vulnerable fans a bit more. We had about 200 people at the Disabled Supporters' Association 'do' last week, I'd be prepared to bet that many of those are unable to come to matches to sit in the cold and wet with their noses just above the level of the fence surrounding the pitch, time it was sorted Rovers :angry: . Okay it's only a relatively small number of fans but even so.....

Make the other part of the stand fairly basic and stuff the away supporters in it. Then when the obligatory 50 Fulham fans turn up their support will be in question not ours...... ;)

The Riverside needs redeveloping, no question. We aim to become and remain a top premiership side and it simply will not do. I heard from a reliable source that considerable money is having to be pumped into the thing to make sure it stays safe and that money is wasted.

We need some decent facilities for disabled people as has been mentioned. An elevated platform with indoor facilities for them so that even if they can't see the match from outside they can sit with other 'indoor' fans and get the atmosphere whilst being with other Rovers fans, watching through windows and/or on a large screen. It is hard enough being disabled, why shouldn't the club support their most vulnerable fans a bit more. We had about 200 people at the Disabled Supporters' Association 'do' last week, I'd be prepared to bet that many of those are unable to come to matches to sit in the cold and wet with their noses just above the level of the fence surrounding the pitch, time it was sorted Rovers :angry: . Okay it's only a relatively small number of fans but even so.....

Make the other part of the stand fairly basic and stuff the away supporters in it. Then when the obligatory 50 Fulham fans turn up their support will be in question not ours...... ;)

I seem to remember somebody posting a picture of Peterborough's new stand. It was a double decker with exec boxes down the middle. As it was built prior to their Irish benefactor getting involved I imagine it was built to limited budget.

It looked pretty smart.

If we really must spend money on the Riverside then something like that should be an option.

A number of questions- Presuming that a redeveloped Riverside would maintain the same capsity or perhaps even reduce it to around the dead on 30k mark,

1.) How much would this kind of 6k stand cost?

2.) How long would it take?

3.) Would issues like foundations to do with the river etc have an impact on the above.

4.) Would riversiders themselves want it to happen, after all these are the most important people in the argument, something that seems to have been overlooked?!

Personally id like to keep going as we are until we get the green light (which must happen eventually) to make the riverside the guinee pig safe standing area (ala germany)

:rover:

It wouldnt take a new stand to make better facilities, it would be relavtively easier to build a "back" part behind the stand with some facilities in it. It would cost a hell of a lot less.

I think you'd be surprised at how little new stands cost compared to improving existing ageing ones.

The Riverside stand is at least 40 years out of date - we are being overtaken stadia wise by clubs at least two divisions below us. If clubs with relatively little income and a fraction of the talent/potential can improve their stadia to the needs of the modern day football fan, why can't Rovers?

It's not just about attracting new supporters (although that is a major factor) - it's about looking after the dedicated ones we have got.

Lets agree to disagree on this then Stuwilky! ;)

BRFC4EVA.......

1. The 7,000 seater double tier longside stand (see earlier post)at Burnley cost around 2.5 million.Allow for inflation but also take into account possible sponsorship etc etc.

2. Is that really relevant?

3. Probably yes but by how much nobody knows.

4. Do they want the best facilities for their money,if not whats the problem?......still have not read a proper objection to it yet

Look familiar?

3.) Would issues like foundations to do with the river etc have an impact on the above.

I know a lad who was involved with the original plans for redeveloping the riverside. He's previously said that the river, although it required specific planning to get round (or over) it, wasn't too much of a problem.

I know a lad who was involved with the original plans for redeveloping the riverside. He's previously said that the river, although it required specific planning to get round (or over) it, wasn't too much of a problem.

My understanding is that it isnt a problem, as such. Its very easy to do, but also very expensive.

Having said that, Im no structural engineer!

I basically agree with den on this.

The stand has to be replaced sometime, surely no-one wants to let it get to the stage where we're playing to a ground that is closed on one side - now that would be embarrasing - and would make us a complete laughing stock.

Every year it is left I presume the potential cost climbs higher and higher.

Plus if it is redeveloped it sends out a positive message to all - players, supporters, and potential signings that we are an ambitious club with ambitions to compete at a decent level.

The only credible reason being given for replacing the current Riverside stand is aesthetics - and in fact that's not credible either, so there is absolutely no reason to do it whatsoever.

Every argument in favour is completely shot down by the basic facts which are beyond dispute. 1) The current structure is fit for purpose (just ask Scotty). 2) The current structure offers the same revenue potential as any new structure would - so there is no / nil / zero prospect of any return on investment.

So what's the point in investing x million quid for nothing??

And before someone puts the hotel / cinema argument forward again, forget it!! The hotel would be competing with the budget offering by the motorway which cost peanuts to build, is more convenient and sells nice clean en suite rooms for half the cost of a Blackburn end seat. And there's a perfectly good cinema up the road in the other direction.

We're a football club with a limited fan base. The product is on the field - who gives a flying **** what people see on TV when the cameras pan away from the action. The fans will still leave if you build them a new stand - and the cameras will still zoom in on that. As they do at every other football ground.

When they cant sell out the current stadium, why build an extension.

Rovers would be better off selling off Ewood for affordable housing, building an out of town 20,000 capacity stadium and a string of theme bars showing live football.

The bars would be full but I wonder if ground would be. :angry:

If the club are serious about redeveloping the riverside they should be talking to stephen ashworth the chairman of the hurstwood group,he was in the times rich list (circa 70 million) and has a large construction business based in rossendale.............he is a season ticket holder with corporate facilities and sponsors players etc etc.................his company could sponsor the stand and they also have excellant contacts. They also are known to the club as when they opened there new offices 2 years ago mark hughes cut the ribbon !!!!!!

Every argument in favour is completely shot down by the basic facts which are beyond dispute. 1) The current structure is fit for purpose (just ask Scotty). 2) The current structure offers the same revenue potential as any new structure would - so there is no / nil / zero prospect of any return on investment.

Exactly. Because money is being poured into it each year to make it so. There is only so much that can be done. Sooner rather than later serious decisions will need to be made about the Riverside. Let's stop pussyfooting around and get it sorted.

If the club are serious about redeveloping the riverside they should be talking to stephen ashworth the chairman of the hurstwood group,he was in the times rich list (circa 70 million) and has a large construction business based in rossendale.............he is a season ticket holder with corporate facilities and sponsors players etc etc.................his company could sponsor the stand and they also have excellant contacts. They also are known to the club as when they opened there new offices 2 years ago mark hughes cut the ribbon !!!!!!

I presume the guy didn't make a fortune of 70 million and a mention in the sunday times rich list by wasting money on lost causes or white elephants?

As a Riverside Season Ticket Holder of 15 years, I can say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the facilities in the stand. It's less than twenty years old, I imagine it was built soundly enough to last a lot longer than that!

Sure, it's not as "pretty" as the other three stands but surely thats no reason to knock it down? :huh:

Exactly. Because money is being poured into it each year to make it so. There is only so much that can be done. Sooner rather than later serious decisions will need to be made about the Riverside. Let's stop pussyfooting around and get it sorted.

I just don't buy that argument I'm afraid. The stand is less than 20 years old. Sure, there may be a nominal cost to maintain it, but I bet it's no greater than the cost of maintaining any of the other three stands.

There simply isn't a case for spending several million pounds to replace something which is already fit for purpose with something that will not generate a penny of additional income.

The accounts dont suggest we spend more than any other club on ground development/maintenance - at least according to Deloitte and Touche.

That could mean anything, Stu. And my source told me that very little is being spent in maintenance on the other three stands.

I appreciate everyone's arguments about the stand being okay as it is (in whatever sense you mean it) but the fact is, the ground is unfinished until it is redeveloped, it is something of an eyesore (sentimental reasons notwithstanding) and facilities are needed that could be incorporated into a new stand and in truth the stand is not all that long from its 'sell by' date by which time serious money is going to have to be spent on it.

Far better to take the issue by the horns, admit what needs to be done, the Board need to set up a forum to co-ordinate plans and ideas from all concerned (fans, employees, local residents) and get things in motion.

That could mean anything, Stu. And my source told me that very little is being spent in maintenance on the other three stands.

How could it mean anything? If the figures arent there as being spent, what else could it mean?

I appreciate everyone's arguments about the stand being okay as it is (in whatever sense you mean it) but the fact is, the ground is unfinished until it is redeveloped, it is something of an eyesore (sentimental reasons notwithstanding) and facilities are needed that could be incorporated into a new stand and in truth the stand is not all that long from its 'sell by' date by which time serious money is going to have to be spent on it.

Exactly. Like I said before, it might be viewed by those of us that actually go to the ground as a perfectly good stand, but what about the potential fan? What about the Blackpool/Preston/Burnley/Colne/Clitheroe (etc) based potential fans that are looking for a club to support? These fans are naturally drawn to bigger local clubs and I honestly think that a new stand on the Riverside would give off the impression that we are a bigger club.

Now think of a potential big-name summer signing and the missed opportunities we MAY face. Ok so you're Eidur Gudjohnson right, you meet MH and JW in the Jack Walker Stand and do the small talk. You walk through the tunnel and out onto the pitch and the first thing you see is a stand dwafed by other club's stands such as Peterborough, Hull City, Leeds United and Coventry City.

Now imagine walking out and see a brand-spanking new stand - maybe not the biggest in terms of capacity but one that shows ambition and that the club want to go places!

How can we make Ewood a fortress when one of our walls is only half built?

Four proper sides would keep the noise in, intimidate the opposition players/fans, make sure we aren't putting off potential signings, and make sure we look after the fans that sit or plan to sit in the Riverside stand.

You walk through the tunnel and out onto the pitch and the first thing you see is a stand dwafed by other club's stands such as Peterborough, Hull City, Leeds United and Coventry City.

Bloody hell - they're big stands them! They weren't there last week though I know that much.

Seriously, good point though. However, as has already been said, we can't fill the ground as it is anyway. What we need to do is rebuld the Riverside, at very little cost, so that it's the same height and appearance as the other three stands, but reduce it's capacity - thereby making the overall capacity at Ewood approx 25-26K.

I presume the guy didn't make a fortune of 70 million and a mention in the sunday times rich list by wasting money on lost causes or white elephants?

nice to see you view your teams facilities as white elephants and lost causes !!!!!! if we could "finish" the ground at reasonable outlay it must be worth considering ??

I'm on the fence with this.

I sit in the Riverside and have held a season ticket there for 15 years now, and have no complaint with the facilities. On the other hand it does look out of sorts with the rest of the stadium but as we all know the ground is more than big enough as it is - when was the last time there was a sell-out??

Although it would look good and complete a top class stadium, i'd have to say leave it as it is, we already have the Darwen end mostly empty at most games, so in my opinion there is no need for that to be 2.

The stand is 20 years old, the Nuttall Street was wooden and lasted nearly 5 times that long so safety issues are not going to arise in the near future.

So guess my heart would say yes but common sense would say no.

Archived