BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Allardyce Resigns

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I would be happy with that. I am certain Big Sam can do a good job as England manager. He would instil a style that most international sides would find difficult to handle (as most EPL sides have found agaist Bolton) and would also inject some spirit and energy into the team as well. I would guess that a few of the "ever presents" would find themselves either out altogether or else given a swift hard kick up their jacksies to help them get the message.

I don't think he would replicate the Bolton style with England. The reason he did thatat the Reebok was that he had very little to work with.

I would say he would go for the basic 442 and tactically not be that dissimilar from McClaren with an emphasis on hard working central midfilders and making use of wingers. The big difference would be that he would give the players a right good kicking, and would have few quarms about dropping Lampard, Ferdinand etc if they were not cutting the mustard.

Usually yes I would agree but in the interests of our aim to get into the InterToto surely we would want them to qualify outright for UEFA so they don't take the InterToto place?

On the other hand, we can potentially still finish above them (one of the priorities for me each season). I generally wish Bolton every possible kind of misery- it will feel very strange indeed if I end up hoping for them to win. But I know they won't even do that for us anyway if we need it. And my hatred of them will intensify.

Oh and..WAHEY! Good riddance to fat Sam! I hope Bolton get relegated within a year. And that Sam leaves the country so I don't have to put up with his frog faced features.

Oh and..WAHEY! Good riddance to fat Sam! I hope Bolton get relegated within a year. And that Sam leaves the country so I don't have to put up with his frog faced features.

When Hughes eventually goes BFS's frog faced features would be welcomed at ewood park by me thats for sure.

Based on what exactly ? What about his achievements thus far ?

Unfortunately I'm echoing Gordon's sentiments, that the best manager since Kenny will leave us for a big club and someone with Sam's credentials would be welcome.

Based on who he is, not to mention the brand of football he has Bolton playing. No thanks. He offends all my standards of decency.

"Panorama 'bungs scandal' programme took its toll on Allardyce - causing him sleepless nights and to start smoking again"

It would seem there's a few main reasons for Big Sam deciding to quit life at the Reebok.

1) Sam concluded that he had taken Bolton as far as he could. He thought it was better to leave with his stock still high.

2) He apparently lost patience with the limited transfer funds available to him at Bolton and wanted to move to a bigger city club with greater resources in the transfer market.

3) Sam was bitterly disappointed at being overlooked for the England job and felt that he had to test himself at a bigger club before he could become England manager.

4) The Panorama "bungs" programme, which cast doubt over Allardyce's integrity, placed additional stress and pressure on Sam and his family - causing sleepless nights and leading him to start smoking again, according to the Times report above. His family may have persuaded Sam to take some time out from football to recharge his batteries, before joining another club after a short break from the game.

On the night in September that the infamous Panorama "bungs" programme was broadcast, Sam's Bolton side were playing in a Carling Cup tie against Walsall. That must have been a particularly strange and indeed stressful night for Sam, not quite knowing what was exactly going to be in the programme until he watched a video of it when he arrived home.

Although Allardyce had previously had a few minor spats with the media - he was infuriated at Alan Green's criticisms of Bolton's style of play - the Panorama programme would take Sam's anger onto another level completely. He refused to do any interviews again with the BBC, and also lost his rag live on Sky Sports when they asked him about the allegations.

Just how big an impact that Panorama programme had on Sam, we may never fully know. But it perhaps led him to re-evaluate all aspects of his life and to question whether staying at Bolton was right for his long-term managerial career.

On a different note, judging from the picture below, Sam's motivational skills didn't just extend to getting his Bolton players to run through brick walls for him - he managed to persuade his players to do other special 'favours' as well.... :unsure:

allardyceloss.jpg

It has been revealed that part of Allardyce's contract stipulated that his successor also had to be called Sam. Sammy Chung, Sam Fox, Sam Bedingfield and Sam Haythornthwaite (of Blackburn Road, Darwen) were all in the running. Sammy the sea lion was offered the job, but turned it down due to lack of finance. So Bolton turned to Little Fat Sam, otherwise known as Sammy Lee. :brfc:

Enjoyed that post!

Set me thinking that EPL management is becoming an inside job. Bolton, Fulham and Charlton appointed insiders. Then Charlton and West Ham did a swap as did Soton and Pompey a bit back and back...

Villa appointed EPL proven quality in Mo'N Newcastle proven dross in Roeder.

Other than old Manc players, the most recent Managers to have come into the EPL ranks from English football outside are Warnock, Boothroyd and Moyes.

It is also leading to a bit of a swingback to British and Irish managers. The promoted trio this season will all be under the management of UK or Irish citizens (that goes for all seven clubs in contention for play-off places) as are Curbishley, Sanchez, Lee, Pardew, Reid, Redknapp, O'Neill, Roeder, Coppell, Wanrnock, Boothroyd and Jewell whom I think are the most recent additions to the ranks of EPL managers.

Other than old Manc players,

Now that lot are doing well! Vintage season for Fergy's proteges Hughes, Bruce, Strachan, Keane, Coppell are all riding high proving that old fashioned methods of discipline and team based ethics are still the best. Strange how few really good managers emanated from the successful Liverpool teams of the 80's. I guess the most likely ones preferred the soft option of TV pundetry.

Gartside on TV "the difference between fifth place and fourth isn't 10 million, more like 100 million"

Thereby admitting Notlob have gone as far as they can.

I think Sam wants higher than fifth.

Let's hope Sparky isn't thinking the same.

I think some people are being a little premature scoffing at the "lack of finance" at Bolton given big Sam was allowed to spend 8m on Anelka in the summer. Sparky has only been allowed to spend a maximum of 4m on one player (Bellamy) and even that merely represented most of the fee received for Ferguson.

Now that lot are doing well! Vintage season for Fergy's proteges Hughes, Bruce, Strachan, Keane, Coppell are all riding high proving that old fashioned methods of discipline and team based ethics are still the best. Strange how few really good managers emanated from the successful Liverpool teams of the 80's. I guess the most likely ones preferred the soft option of TV pundetry.

Sparky is 6/4 favourite apparently with the bookies to fnish top of the "ex United" mini league next season.

Coppell and Keane are close behind, they must not fancy Bruce much - he's 9/2 rank outsider.

I'm less inclined to include Strachan because of his career path. As for Keane and Bruce, well this season they've managed giants in the championship. Yes, they've done well, but they were supposed to. Also, just take a look at the England team...

Enjoyed that post!

Set me thinking that EPL management is becoming an inside job. Bolton, Fulham and Charlton appointed insiders.

As with Les Reed at Charlton I can't see Sammy Lee being a success and reckon he will also disappear down the Brian Kidd route.

Have there been any first team coaches who have taken over from their boss and gone on to be a success at the same club?

As with Les Reed at Charlton I can't see Sammy Lee being a success and reckon he will also disappear down the Brian Kidd route.

Have there been any first team coaches who have taken over from their boss and gone on to be a success at the same club?

First team coach is narrowing it down but Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan were both promoted from the boot room.

First team coach is narrowing it down but Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan were both promoted from the boot room.

Oops Bob Paisley, arguably the greatest of the lot - how could I have forgotten him? :ph34r:

Must admit I didn't consider Fagan a huge success given what he inherited from Shanks and Paisley.

Oops Bob Paisley, arguably the greatest of the lot - how could I have forgotten him? :ph34r:

Must admit I didn't consider Fagan a huge success given what he inherited from Shanks and Paisley.

Two seasons and two European Cup finals? One won and the other scarred by the Heysel riots? Add to that a League Cup, league title and a runners-up spot?

Methinks you are a bit hard to please.

Moyes and Billy Davies both did well at PNE. Peter Taylor for a time after Cloughie left. But successful promotions within clubs are rare.

Walter Smith, No 2 to Souness at Rangers, took over in 1991 and won the Scottish championship nine times in a row.

Archived