BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Starting Xi For Next Season

weve a lot of players coming back into the frame.....(as has been discussed)......so, does Mark Hughes have a starting line up in mind?

the main areas must be at centre back....where samba and oojier will be fighting it out to partner nelsen...and in midfield with savage, tugay, reid, dunn & mokeona all vying for one of two central postions.

it should be no surpirse to see bentley & peders on either flank....respectively bert and warnock in defence.

upfront (at the time of writing) it will be mccarthy plus one of derbyshire, roberts or even this rigters guy.

oh yes, and brad in goal.

id go for

BRAD

BERT

WARNOCK

SAMBA

NELSEN

SAVAGE

REID

BENTLEY

GAMST

MCCARTHY

MATTY

Nobody start adding Bellamy or Cruz or whoever until we actually signed them, if we ever actually do, or you'll only end up jinxing us and we'll miss out on them :P

Based on the squad we have now I would pick these, although it is inevitable that players will be leaving and coming.

-------------Brad------------------

Bert--Samba--Nelsen--Warnock

Bentley-Reid-Savage-Pedersen

---------Benni--Roberts----------

Subs:

Rigters, Derbyshire, Brown, Mokoena, Ooijer, Dunn, Tugay, Gally, Zurab

Subs:

Rigters, Derbyshire, Brown, Mokoena, Ooijer, Dunn, Tugay, Gally, Zurab

Your sub bench is way too big. :lol:

I guess, Derbyshire, Brown, Mokoena, Dunn and Rigters.

Suddenly i feel sorry for Gally, seems like he wont even get a seat on the bench on a regular basis if the whole squad is injury-free.

---------------Brad------------------

Ooijer--Samba--Nelsen--Warnock

Bentley--Reid--Savage--Pedersen

-------Benni----Roberts-------------

That is the team I would like to see. Having said that we all know Reid won't play a hughe part this season, so it should really say Mokoena or Dunn there.

----------------Brad------------------

Emerton--Ooijer--Nelsen--Warnock

Bentley--Savage--Reid-----Gamst

---------Benni----Roberts-----------

Subs Bench

Brown---Samba---Tugay---Derbyshire----Dunn

As much as i think Samba is a brilliant player, i would much rather see Ooijer there, he bring so much experience and confidence to the rest of the back four. Samba is still very young and his game can be honed from sub appearences and the odd start because with Nelsen, he isn't going to be fit for every game with injuries. I'll probably get flamed for dropping Samba but Ooijer is a better player, if he discovers his form quickly people will be focussing more on the captain Nelsen for his and calling for Samba for Nelsen.

I'm lost as to why so many people seem to rate Ooijer so highly. I know he improved from being absolutely shocking when he first arrived but I've seen little to suggest he's cut out to be a top drawer defender in the Premier League.

Arsenal away, 2-6, anyone?

If Samba and Nelsen are both fully fit, decent squad cover at best imo.

I'm lost as to why so many people seem to rate Ooijer so highly. I know he improved from being absolutely shocking when he first arrived but I've seen little to suggest he's cut out to be a top drawer defender in the Premier League.

Arsenal away, 2-6, anyone?

If Samba and Nelsen are both fully fit, decent squad cover at best imo.

Without going off thread. For me people are fooled by Samba to a certain degree. I think his height and presence make every tackle and interception look all the more impressive. I put him at fault for a number of goals towards the back end of last season. That's not to say I don't rate him - I do, I really do. I just think Samba lacks the concentration and reading of the game that a FIT Ooijer has.

Texan,

Reidy is coming off two significant injuries(knee ligament and back)and has not really played for over a year.It would be unrealistic to expect him to come right back in the squad and pick up his end of season form from2005/2006 season.Would be great if it happens though.

---------------Brad------------------

Ooijer--Samba--Nelsen--Warnock

Bentley--Reid--Savage--Pedersen

-------Benni----Roberts-------------

That is the team I would like to see. Having said that we all know Reid won't play a hughe part this season, so it should really say Mokoena or Dunn there.

Team looks good there Krislu.

This is a good exercise to get us all optimistic. Our starting lineup is probably:

---------Roberts----McCarthy

MGP------Reid---Savage----Bentley

Warnock--Samba----Nelsen---Emerton

-------------------freidel

You have to say that every single player in that team is very good premiership quality- with Bentley, Reid, McCarthy, MGP, Freidel, Nelsen, Samba and Warnock being absolutely first rate players imo. When you add to that we have Dunn (who I think has a lot more to offer and will improve next season), Tugay (life in the old dog yet), Derbyshire (very very promising), Ooijer (international class), Mokoena (a top performer toward the end of last season) and Rigters (who knows what he is capable of?) then I would say we have the best rovers squad since 96. And thats with us having quite a bit of cash to spend still.

The only dampner is that a lot of clubs now seem to making real progress as well. But we will be competitive. When you consider the pittance, in football terms, that that squad has been assembled for you have to be impressed.

The only dampner is that a lot of clubs now seem to making real progress as well. But we will be competitive. When you consider the pittance, in football terms, that that squad has been assembled for you have to be impressed.

I have to agree JOEY. We have a very strong team but with the amount of money the big clubs are spending im worried that the middle of the table and lower teams will never have a chance to catch up. :( Sad in tearms off football but i feel as you started we will be compeitive, and as long as we start out the season better then this last season and play strong through out till the end we will infact as sparky said put our selves some where in the top eight teams where we belong. :D

FRIEDEL

WARNOCK

NELSEN

OOIJER

EMERTON

GAMST

SAVAGE

REID

BENTLEY

MCCARTHY

ROBERTS

SUBS:- SAMBA, TUGAY, MOKOENA, DERBYSHIRE, RIGTERS

I agree with Neil Warnock not having a sub keeper on the bench and instead having 5 outfield players. How many times does the sub keeper need to be used, once a season if that.

The club has great strength in depth although everyone of those starting line-ups fail to have the x factor which would make me feel really confident of beating a lesser Prem side and a real buzz of anticipation of giving Chelsea a hard game.

Emerton is away with Australia so presumably in the early stages there is a chance for a fill-in at right back to grab that place.

In theory defence is great but boy did we leak a lot of goals towards season's end- many silly ones at that. Great as it looks, the Samba/Nelsen partnership was less than watertight. I hope that Nelsen is fully recovered now- he wasn't back to his best in the second half of last season by any means.

Midfield, I'd expect Reid and Savage to be the mainstay if Reid's recovery is as good as reports indicate. Would not rule out Dunn from displacing Savage or more accurately Reid fulfilling a more complete role than Sav does and Dunn coming good as the creative/attacking central midfielder.

MGP has to recover from the increasingly horrendous form he showed as last season went on. If not, a youngster will surely take his place.

Up front, its odds on there will be some personnel changes. Rigters on Euro u-21 form surely gets a start.

FRIEDEL

EMERTON, NELSEN, SAMBA, WARNOCK

BENTLEY, SAVAGE, TUGAY, REID, PEDERSEN

MCCARTHY

I'd like to see how we'd do if we tried 4-5-1. I'd really like to see Tugay still hitting those long balls to Bents and MGP but also have the tough and heroic players in Sav and Reido. :rover:

I hope Benni's still here at the start of the campaign but I think he will be. :brfc:

I agree with Neil Warnock not having a sub keeper on the bench and instead having 5 outfield players. How many times does the sub keeper need to be used, once a season if that.

But that once a season can be invaluable in terms of points - Jason Brown v Wigan is the perfect example.

And besides Warnock is a complete nobed.

Archived