BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay?

BRFC4EVA

tugay what a great football player... i just think age is creeping up on him also...

it was a ridiculous sending off...

who else reckons this ??

I agree. You could from his reaction he wasn't annoyed with himself, he was annoyed with the decision of the ref.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree completely, Tugay was fully aware he did a ridiculous thing when he tugged Hamann's shirt the 2nd time. You could tell he lost the plot somewhat from the pace he had going into Hamann, who could just take a step sideways to dodge Tugay's "tackle". It was two fully deserved yellows, and if you read Hughes' view on things you'll see that both him and Tugay himself was disappointed with Tugay's lack of composure at the time.

You could argue the referee should use common sense, but in all fairness - Tugay was the one not using enough common sense in that situation, he did get a yellow which is a warning: Don't do it again. Tugay did, and got sent off - end of story!

As for Tugay's contribution to the team, I agree with TCJ : He's a great player to have on the bench, he can still come on and dictate play - he's just not quick enough to cover the back four 100%, he wasn't last season either- but still managed to contribute immensely.

I disagree completely, Tugay was fully aware he did a ridiculous thing when he tugged Hamann's shirt the 2nd time. You could tell he lost the plot somewhat from the pace he had going into Hamann, who could just take a step sideways to dodge Tugay's "tackle". It was two fully deserved yellows, and if you read Hughes' view on things you'll see that both him and Tugay himself was disappointed with Tugay's lack of composure at the time.

Totally agree. Yes, in another game Tugay wouldn't have been sent off for that, but you don't want to run that risk. If you give the ref a chance to send you off then he may very well take it, in this case he did. Tugay should have known better.

This may be a season too far for him, we'll have to see. He certainly still has the ability, but I'm not sure whether his legs will carry him at the pace required. He will be useful in some European ties, but I think we'll be seeing less and less of him in the Premiership. It will only be injuries or suspensions that could see him get any sort of a run in the league in my opinion.

Tugay is class despite his age. He is the best passer at the club and can dictate games with the help of Savage in midfield. If he wasn't sent off, who knows how well he would have played in the rest of the game. Don't judge him now, judge him after 10-15 games when everyones settled again. It's only the start of the season.

it was a bad mistake he did on sunday regarding the sending off, but i think he still has a lot to offer us this season and he will always be one my Rover's greatest ever player i have seen

Thought we looked much better with Tugay and Dunn in the middle for the time that Tugay was on the pitch. Maybe we need Savage to soften up the opposition before Tugay comes off the bench and rips them apart with his killer passes!!!

The man is an absolute legend and a great player to have on the bench. I can't think of many players I'd rather bring on against lesser sides who have shut up shop. While i'm sure he knows he was a bit silly at the weekend, I did think the second booking was ridiculously harsh.

• 3 weeks later...
did anyone see tugay warming up at half time with the keep ups? was worth the ticket price alone. highlight of a poor match - anyone got a clip of it?

Fantastic. Indeed was the highlight of the match, he just enjoys the game so much. Doing kickups then pretending to catch it-whilst looking at a different player-great fun!

On a serious note-he had little impact on the game and did little to change what i put at the start of this thread!

did anyone see tugay warming up at half time with the keep ups? was worth the ticket price alone. highlight of a poor match - anyone got a clip of it?

I saw it - was my half time entertainment instead of that dire new presenter on the pitch. :rolleyes:

I'll have a look for a video later.

On a serious note-he had little impact on the game and did little to change what i put at the start of this thread!

Nevertheless he was one of the very few who looked committed to the cause . A sad indictment of the other wasters that a substitute 37 year old retired international wants to play more than they do .

• 2 weeks later...

Last night again im afraid. Misplaced passes, slow on the ball and never did anything much usefull. Totally the wrong decsion to play him in the middle with makoena, when we needed drive and speed in the middle :brfc:

we should give him a massive testimonial send off though.........

Under the traditional rules he'd not qualify for one but seeing as hardly any player would do these days (I can think of Ryan Giggs and only a few others that do) I reckon you're right.

With players' salaries and lavish lifestyles a testimonial won't have the financial importance that it used to but would be a great chance for supporters to say thanks. I for one would be there, singing "Turkish Delight" til my voice went. I'll be wearing my new #5 Tugay kit on Sunday.

Archived