BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay?

BRFC4EVA

Went to game ysday and sat in my usual spot in the bbe Lower. Tugay has only played a coupla times this season, but both time ive thought him to be disappointing. Well maybe disappointing is the wrong word to use, he still has that touch of class on the ball, but unfortunatly i think this may be 1 season too far for the great man. Its something that ive thought all season, tho wanted to give him the benifit of the doubt before judging him...

The sending off was a prime example, it wasnt that it was a stupid challenge it was the fact that he did not have the legs to put him into the postition to make a proper tackle. Whenever ive seen him this yr he has looked just a shade off the pace and at this kind of level unfortuantly we cant get away with it. So i open it out my fellow blackburn fans, what do you guys think? Do you think he is more off the pace then last year? Is this 1 year too far? Am i talking rot and hes just started slowly?

Cheers for the opinions, boy do we need Reidy back! :brfc:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went to game ysday and sat in my usual spot in the bbe Lower. Tugay has only played a coupla times this season, but both time ive thought him to be disappointing. Well maybe disappointing is the wrong word to use, he still has that touch of class on the ball, but unfortunatly i think this may be 1 season too far for the great man. Its something that ive thought all season, tho wanted to give him the benifit of the doubt before judging him...

The sending off was a prime example, it wasnt that it was a stupid challenge it was the fact that he did not have the legs to put him into the postition to make a proper tackle. Whenever ive seen him this yr he has looked just a shade off the pace and at this kind of level unfortuantly we cant get away with it. So i open it out my fellow blackburn fans, what do you guys think? Do you think he is more off the pace then last year? Is this 1 year too far? Am i talking rot and hes just started slowly?

I think a lot of Tugays fustrations stemed from yet another awful referee at Ewood Park.I can't beliebve how card happy these people are.They go by the rules of the game,but don't seem to have a clue about the passion of the game.

Tugays a legend,and I for one am not going to chastise him for one bad day at the office.He'll be back,and don't forget the chants coming from the terraces against MY-PA last week..."Tugay,Tugay,Tugay"(lest we forget.)

Its hard to say after only 4 games,but i do think Tugay will only be used for uefa and domestic cup games this season.I think the premiership is getting too fast for him,yet he still has the craft and vision to pick a perfect pass against foreign opposition.

Yet again all credit to Hughes for keeping him on for one more season to help out with cup games.

On an interesting note,i noticed yesterday he was giving Derbyshire advice on getting some swerve on the ball when shooting at goal,hopefully a coaching position come end of season? :tu:

Throughout his time at Rovers Tugay has done silly things like he did yesterday, I seem to remember him getting sent off against city at home afew years back also, however he remains a class act and as long as he is used correctly by Hughes, which I'm sure will be the case, he will remain a good asset for the side.

.......... however he remains a class act and as long as he is used correctly by Hughes, which I'm sure will be the case, he will remain a good asset for the side.

Spot on. Tugay is bound to be caught for pace at times due to his age - what player his age wouldn't be? He has other attributes including skill and vision and, as said, he remains a class act and an integral part of the squad. He's a legend. :brfc:

In the Man City thread I said he should watch what he's doing a little more. I reckon it's safest to play him alongside Sav (not possible on Sunday of course) who can take care of that side of the job leaving him to conentrate on his playmaker role.

Given the fragiity of most of our midfield I reckon we might see 2 midfielders on the bench, rather thah Hughes's (seemingly) favoured 2 strikers for a lot of this season.

It was a stupid sending off, he did the same thing twice! and in quick succession. After all the experience he's got, that was dissapointing.

Agree 100% and I think that was what Hughes was referring to in his post-match interview. He has lost a yard of pace but can still run a match from the middle of the park IMO if only for 60/70 minutes on occasion. I doubt we'll see him regularly this season or next especially as Reid gets fit but maybe we'll see an indirect influence on the younger players - coaching perhaps?

Tugay suits european football, on Thursday he showed what he can still do in a lsower paced game, on Sunday he was always going to struggle with the pace of the game, but the quick bookings for shirt pulling is just farcical, the second time should have been a warning along the lines of do that again and your off.

I would like to see how many times shirt pulling occurs at games and players are booked, not just at Ewood but at any premier game.

Could you imangine Hargreaves or Terry getting sent off the same thing.

Tugay suits european football, on Thursday he showed what he can still do in a lsower paced game, on Sunday he was always going to struggle with the pace of the game, but the quick bookings for shirt pulling is just farcical, the second time should have been a warning along the lines of do that again and your off.

I would like to see how many times shirt pulling occurs at games and players are booked, not just at Ewood but at any premier game.

Could you imangine Hargreaves or Terry getting sent off the same thing.

That's a good point - I bet a big four player wouldn't have so harshly dealt with

tugay is still a class act imo, i love seeing him in the rovers line up because he's worth the ticket alone.

could you imagine him playing for another team against us, we would be ###### ourself.

yeah he has lost pace with age but his positives to the cause out number the negatives by miles.

Forget the big four's players, that's not what this debate is about. His sending off was silly, the second foul was made in City's own half FFS. However, I still think Tugay has something to offer us, and I'm not just talking about his legendary personality and character on the pitch in terms of pure footballing intelligence. He's still a good player, especially coming off the bench to keep possession and giving us those lovely passes to counterattack on.

To sum up; it was a deserved red in the end, very unlike Tugay to act like that. A tug of a shirt, sure, but two in five minutes? He knows he would be sent off, which is probably why he kicked those bottles of water.

Let him stay on, let him show himself as one of Europes finest in terms of technique and finesse as a playmaker.

If Reid makes a full recovery it would seem to me that, barring injuries, TUgay's time as a first team squad player will come to a close. He will be someone used for the European games and maybe the first couple of rounds of the Carling Cup. Great man, great performer,I hope he stays as a coach in the long term. But realistically if Hughes had a full squad available he would not make the sixteen.

Its quite incredible that he has kept going for so long at such a high level! Absolute legend.

tugay is still a class act imo, i love seeing him in the rovers line up because he's worth the ticket alone.

could you imagine him playing for another team against us, we would be ###### ourself.

yeah he has lost pace with age but his positives to the cause out number the negatives by miles.

Agree totally. Would have been awful to see him playing for another Prem team anyway. Once Reid is fit we can just use Tugay in Europe where he will excel.

Tugay's sending off was his fault - end of story. You could see that he knew it by the way he kicked those poor innocent Lucozade bottles on the way off.

In both performances this season he has shown that he is still our best passer and most visionary player. His distribution either coming out of defence or sparking an attack from behind the forwards is second to none.

Hughes knows what he's doing with Tugay and his value will be shown over the course of the season. He was slightly unfortunate to be thrown into the action so soon after completing 90 minutes on Thursday.

Enjoy his talent while he's still playing as I don't think what he brings to the team ever can be replaced.

1) If we gave away our lead after Tug's sending off on Sunday, we would be all blaming him. It was a second yellow which was absolutely unnecessary, in midfield.

2) I must agree with Grabbi - Tugay is made for European football. Which means we can use him very well. And against Larissa, it'll be Greece vs. Turkey, and that's when Tugay will get extra motivated. We'll see the best of him in those fixtures, I predict.

3) As Mr. Peacock said on MotD2 sunday-eve, we MUST buy a creative midfielder in january. Otherwise, we're missing out in depth on midfield. Still thinking which hard-working creative midfielder would suit us/is possible of getting to Ewood.

Dictionary meaning (v 1.1)

Tu • gay [too-guy]

- adjective

1. gifted and highly skilled midfield maestro

2. well known as a superb playermaker with his accurate long passing and thunderbolt strikes

3. one of the greatest ever servants to Blackburn Rovers

4. model professional both on and off the pitch

I doubt we'll see him regularly this season or next especially as Reid gets fit but maybe we'll see an indirect influence on the younger players - coaching perhaps?

He won't go into a coaching role this season, as he has to concentrate on his own state-of-play. Tugay is still a key enough squad member and to try and put coaching into him at this stage in what looks to be certain to be his final year would be a shocking decision.

What about the time when Martin Laursen basically tried to rugby-tackle Shaun Wright-Phillips. Now that was horrendous and as to how the referee never gave a penalty (which I was delighted about in all fairness) or even booked the Dane. Then you look at Tugay's offence that he committed.

At the end of the day:

TUGAY IS A LIVING LEGEND.

Do you think he is more off the pace then last year? Is this 1 year too far? Am i talking rot and hes just started slowly?

No.

No.

Yes, and no. He's played less than 90 mins total this season. 45 of those against Vetra. Bit eary to start asking questions in my opinion. He looks as fit as he's ever done and when he was on against City looked good to me. Didn't see the Vetra game but apparently he was good there too. Game of opinions I guess.

No.

No.

Yes, and no. He's played less than 90 mins total this season. 45 of those against Vetra. Bit eary to start asking questions in my opinion. He looks as fit as he's ever done and when he was on against City looked good to me. Didn't see the Vetra game but apparently he was good there too. Game of opinions I guess.

I presume you mean MyPa instead of Vetra??

Tugay hasn't had the best of starts to the season. But i'm sure he'll play a key role for us this season.

Aren't people being a bit quick in saying that he can't survive a whole season? My dad could play the amount of minutes that Tugay has so far.

He really is a luxury to have on the bench and can completely change the teams approach. He's doing just fine by my reckoning.

Have to admit that the way he was sent off was very frustrating on two counts: firstly, he should know better than to tug a players shirt on the half way line when there is no danger whatsoever, and secondly the ref should have used a bit of common sense and not given him a second yellow for such a nothing offence.

Archived