BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking In The Riverside Loos At Halftime

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 Days to Cyprus and I can escape this S**t hole for Good!

I don't blame you! Good luck mate.

I was in Belgium last month and the difference to this country is amazing, i'm not just talking about smoking inside either, one example of this was to see people take their pet dogs places without having to tie them up outside all the time (but thats another story!). So much less controlling than this country, as is Germany and Holland from my experience.

• 5 weeks later...
As suicide's a crime, then surely all smokers who actually don't want to quit are technically committing a crime!!
To paraphrase the great Bill Hicks, "I have something to tell you non-smokers, non-smokers die every day. Sleep tight."

If that's the case then surely the majority of Sweaty's are committing suicide though their highly nutritional and hearty (haha) diet?

That wasn't quite my understanding of what John Newsham said. I understood him to say that an outside smoking area was not a possibility because:

a) There is no provision for re-entry to the stadium on the existing card system.

B ) He said it was not logisticcally possible to get that many people out of and in to the stadium again over the HT period.

What a load of crap, at the Sydney Football Stadium (capacity 42k) they too have an automated ticket system but have provision to let smokers outside for a smoke at half time. The way this is done is to have a steward at an exit with a little cardboard "pass-out" card, he gives one of these to the smoker leaving and you're only able to get back into the ground by handing the "pass-out" back to the steward. They've had this system around for ages and there's never a problem with it.

At Ewood there'd be no need for that as the outer perimeter gates could be locked through the ht period. BUT anybody not back in the stadium 5 mins before the start of the second half should be locked out. All allowing smokers in and out would do would disrupt other peoples views as they all file back in (reeking of stale smoke) to their seats inevitably late for the 2nd half KO.

Best solution is to simply do as they have and simply ban it inside public places full stop. Anyway why can't smokers help themselves and alleviate temporary cravings like in this case, or on a plane, in a meeting etc by simply sticking a patch on their arm and/or taking snuff instead of whining on about loss of personal freedom etc?

As this thread has been brought back up, I noticed during half time at the Liverpool game that a group of stewards went out of the gate between the Riverside and Darwen End and lit up... I asked one of them why they were able to do that and apparently it's a 'Perk of the job'. Seems like Rovers treat their casual staff better than their paying customers... out of order to be allowed to do that especially when people who arn't able to smoke can see them doing so. I thought about writing a letter to the club but would there be any point, if it happens again I probably will to see what their position is.

At the same time there were one or two 'smoke spotters' walking up and down the front of the Riverside telling people to put their fags out - very hypocritical.

As this thread has been brought back up, I noticed during half time at the Liverpool game that a group of stewards went out of the gate between the Riverside and Darwen End and lit up... I asked one of them why they were able to do that and apparently it's a 'Perk of the job'. Seems like Rovers treat their casual staff better than their paying customers... out of order to be allowed to do that especially when people who arn't able to smoke can see them doing so. I thought about writing a letter to the club but would there be any point, if it happens again I probably will to see what their position is.

Well, if they were actually on the premises, they were breaking the law, perk of the job my arshe. Smokers should just accept that the world is a much nicer and less smelly place without them and get on with their short lives.

At the same time there were one or two 'smoke spotters' walking up and down the front of the Riverside telling people to put their fags out - very hypocritical.

I'll raise this at the Fans' Forum on 19th and report back....

At Ewood there'd be no need for that as the outer perimeter gates could be locked through the ht period. BUT anybody not back in the stadium 5 mins before the start of the second half should be locked out. All allowing smokers in and out would do would disrupt other peoples views as they all file back in (reeking of stale smoke) to their seats inevitably late for the 2nd half KO.

Best solution is to simply do as they have and simply ban it inside public places full stop. Anyway why can't smokers help themselves and alleviate temporary cravings like in this case, or on a plane, in a meeting etc by simply sticking a patch on their arm and/or taking snuff instead of whining on about loss of personal freedom etc?

A presume the same should apply to all the beer drinkers then. who arrive in my row five mins. after KO, leave five mins before halfe time, arrive back five mins after the interval; and make every one in the row appear like a bunch of Jack in the Boxes. or would that be a loss of personal freedom?

A presume the same should apply to all the beer drinkers then. who arrive in my row five mins. after KO, leave five mins before halfe time, arrive back five mins after the interval; and make every one in the row appear like a bunch of Jack in the Boxes. or would that be a loss of personal freedom?

Most definitely. I wonder if they stand in front of the tele at home?

I'll raise this at the Fans' Forum on 19th and report back....

Hi o2g, Did this get a mention last night,

Cheers.

Hi o2g, Did this get a mention last night,

Cheers.

I raised it and John Newsham was quite clear that it could not possibly have happened - there are security cameras all around the area which are being watched from the control room all the time over half time. I was in no position to contradict him. If you are sure it happened I suggest that you get in touch with John at Ewood directly. I'm quite happy if you mention that I raised it at the Fans' Forum.

I raised it and John Newsham was quite clear that it could not possibly have happened - there are security cameras all around the area which are being watched from the control room all the time over half time.

Unless they were having a fag break, :blush:

No offence O2G

With a cctv camera for every 14 people in this country, its amazing what the cameras miss.

Unless they were having a fag break, :blush:

No offence O2G

With a cctv camera for every 14 people in this country, its amazing what the cameras miss.

That's true - all I was doing was passing on the club's view that they could not have missed it. On the night I could not have argued with them as I wasn't in that part of the ground and didn't see it.

That's true - all I was doing was passing on the club's view that they could not have missed it. On the night I could not have argued with them as I wasn't in that part of the ground and didn't see it.

Fair point O2G, at least youve brought it to their attention, there will be no excuse if a fan with a camera emails them a blind area to their cctv now ;)

Archived