BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking In The Riverside Loos At Halftime

As for my opinion (if anyone cares), I'm a non-smoker who is adamantly against the government banning smoking from privately owned businesses. That being said, Rovers seemed to be initiating the ban before the new laws went into effect. It is a private business that has the right to allow or not allow smoking if it wants. You, as a smoker (not aimed at Colin), has the right to not give the business your money if you don't like the rules they lay down.

I've seen arenas here and in Canada that open up sections outside of the gates and cordon the area off for smokers to pop out for a quick ciggie with no problems.

Like you said, and I agree, Rovers are a private business with the rights and abilities to impose rules as they see fit. That being said, one would be hard presses to say that smoking isn't a prominent part of culture and an everyday event in a lot of people lives. Whether or not you agree or disagree with smoking for your own personal reasons, it still happens. If Rovers, and all private business in general wanted to stay on the good side of all parties involved, an easy, accessible area designated for smokers is all that is needed. You're removing the smokers from the general masses, while allowing them to smoke.

I read, and i don't remember exactly who so apologies, that it shouldn't be an issue for people to just wait 90 minutes and then have a smoke after. That being said, we do have to remind ourselves that it is in fact a drug and people are addicted. Regardless of how it may affect one individual smoker who can wait the match and light up, there's just as many who can't.

The short and short of it, to be fair to all, a concession should be made allowing somewhere to let people smoke. While they (the rovers/other businesses) don't necessarily have to, it's just a gesture of good will.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like you said, and I agree, Rovers are a private business with the rights and abilities to impose rules as they see fit. That being said, one would be hard presses to say that smoking isn't a prominent part of culture and an everyday event in a lot of people lives. Whether or not you agree or disagree with smoking for your own personal reasons, it still happens. If Rovers, and all private business in general wanted to stay on the good side of all parties involved, an easy, accessible area designated for smokers is all that is needed. You're removing the smokers from the general masses, while allowing them to smoke.

I read, and i don't remember exactly who so apologies, that it shouldn't be an issue for people to just wait 90 minutes and then have a smoke after. That being said, we do have to remind ourselves that it is in fact a drug and people are addicted. Regardless of how it may affect one individual smoker who can wait the match and light up, there's just as many who can't.

The short and short of it, to be fair to all, a concession should be made allowing somewhere to let people smoke. While they (the rovers/other businesses) don't necessarily have to, it's just a gesture of good will.

It will depend on what the club believes the authorities deem to be the workplace and which parts are 'enclosed'. The club is probably erring on the side of caution and seeing all the corners of the grounds (open to the air), the front of the Riverside (open to the air) and I guess the lower levels of the main stands (openish to the air) as enclosed workplaces and are acting as the law states - no smoking. As someone else stated, railway platforms are generally smoke free even if they don't have a roof.

With regards the "some people can't go without 90 mins without having a fag", how do they cope on a bus, coach, train, or plane, for any journey of even moderate distance? I take it these people never use public transport or go overseas on holiday?

With regards the "some people can't go without 90 mins without having a fag", how do they cope on a bus, coach, train, or plane, for any journey of even moderate distance? I take it these people never use public transport or go overseas on holiday?

Couldn't speak for others. I know my pops goes out pretty much every hour while out work for a few to have one, and my mom goes out a few times a day too. As for other people, well, i just don't know, I'm not all too familiar with public transportation, so you'd have to ask them how they cope there and on vacation.

Couldn't speak for others. I know my pops goes out pretty much every hour while out work for a few to have one, and my mom goes out a few times a day too. As for other people, well, i just don't know, I'm not all too familiar with public transportation, so you'd have to ask them how they cope there and on vacation.

Logic should dictate that they lose some pay for that. 10 mins every hour is a full hour of non productive work per day. If that does not happen then imo his employer would be quite in order to introduce only a non smoker recruitment policy..... or would he then be ludicously open to some sort of discrimination charge? :huh:

Moving on I must say that many smokers must now be feeling very low. I regularly see people puffing away on the pavements down alleys and outside back doors etc and in all sorts of weather. It surely must be demeaning and degrading and must surely make many people despise their personal weakness and accompanying loss of self respect in being a nicotine addict.

Moving on I must say that many smokers must now be feeling very low. I regularly see people puffing away on the pavements down alleys and outside back doors etc and in all sorts of weather. It surely must be demeaning and degrading and must surely make many people despise their personal weakness and accompanying loss of self respect in being a nicotine addict.

I am a smoker and having to smoke outside is not demeaning or degrading nor do I have a lack of self respect. It is only a personal weakness if you WANT to give up. Too many people presume that if you smoke you want to give up but can't.

Logic should dictate that they lose some pay for that. 10 mins every hour is a full hour of non productive work per day. If that does not happen then imo his employer would be quite in order to introduce only a non smoker recruitment policy..... or would he then be ludicously open to some sort of discrimination charge? :huh:

so true gord...mind you I am going to use it as excuse when i get caught skiving ...im accumalting me fag breaks boss that ive never had

As a smoker, I entirely agree. I hated those people that'd just skive off for a fag break when I was doing factory work. It's not as prevalent, in my experience, in office enviornments (and even when it happens then, it's an extension of water-cooler culture).

Nah, here in Ireland pretty much everywhere now has smoking areas, many of them nicer than the inside of the pub. You lot'll catch up eventually! We did go through a 9 month backlog of orders for gas heaters, though. This probably isn't great in the whole Global Warming context. It makes inside pubs and nightclubs (I used to work in a nightclub) far more pleasant places to be and work.

For sporting events, smoking areas can be provided, but the concourses in the BBE and JW stands are enclosed, so it won't be there, if Rovers decide to provide them at all. Anyone who can't last two hours at an event without smoking is either watching a boring event or has a real problem.

Lung cancer isn't genetic Phil.

Anyway, you didn't answer the question - why wouldn't passive smoking cause lung cancer, when smoking certainly does. I don't want to divert this topic, nor am I being clever. Seems a good question to me.

If you're arguing genetics in relation to subsceptibility to cancer (lung , breast , bowel , etc) doesn't play a factor , Den , then you're just plain wrong .

As for the question you asked I suggest you re-read my last post . Passive smoking IMO would have to be undertaken on a far greater scale than breathing in second hand smoke a couple of times a week in the boozer or in the concourse of a football ground at half time . Especially when the affected person would surely use some common sense and move some distance away when it becomes uncomfortable .

The Gov't are taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut and at the same time concentrating far less on far greater threats to the nation's health - car fumes , MRSA , I could go on and on .....

Propoganda and easy targets , Den - you don't have to be clever to work it out ......

We did go through a 9 month backlog of orders for gas heaters, though. This probably isn't great in the whole Global Warming context.

:lol: You couldn't make it up . What's the Government response to that going to be ?

Either ban the heaters and let smokers freeze to death ......or have the guts to ban ciggies entirely ?

My guess they'll do neither .

Propoganda and easy targets . And people fall for the good intentions line .... :rolleyes:

That's what is being denied people - freedom of choice . When some ignorant bugger used to smoke near me in the pub ....I'd simply move away . Relying on Nanny State to intervene is a bit pathetic IMO .

I can't let this rubbish go unchallenged.

I didn't used to go in pubs because of smokers. That was my choice but as far as I was concerned I was being denied the opportunity because of those who were putting my health at risk and making what should be a pleasant social occasion deeply unpleasant.

It's nowt to do with nanny state. It's about what is in the interests of the majority over the minority and at the same time improving the health of and therefore the cost to the nation. It's what our American colonial cousins call a no-brainer. Those with half a brain would realise it.

I noticed last night that the stewards weren't taking any notice of people smoking in the stands. Alot of the smokers in the area of the Blackburn End I sit in lit up all the way through the game. Unfortunately I personally couldn't get this thread out of my head. I would've felt guilty about 'sparking up', so I didn't. It just resulted in me ripping my hair out and biting my finger nails like everyone else. I just woke up bald instead of breathless and stinking :D

I can't let this rubbish go unchallenged.

I didn't used to go in pubs because of smokers. That was my choice but as far as I was concerned I was being denied the opportunity because of those who were putting my health at risk and making what should be a pleasant social occasion deeply unpleasant.

It's nowt to do with nanny state. It's about what is in the interests of the majority over the minority and at the same time improving the health of and therefore the cost to the nation. It's what our American colonial cousins call a no-brainer. Those with half a brain would realise it.

If it were in the interests of the majority, why did no-smoking pubs never catch on before the ban?

I noticed last night that the stewards weren't taking any notice of people smoking in the stands.

The stewards were on alert in the Riverside last night at the beginning of half time but the number of people smoking at the front and corner of the stand was unbelievable. I think they gave it up as a bad job in the end. I can't say i noticed anyone smoking in the seats though.

The stewards were on alert in the Riverside last night at the beginning of half time but the number of people smoking at the front and corner of the stand was unbelievable. I think they gave it up as a bad job in the end. I can't say i noticed anyone smoking in the seats though.

Sorry Ben should've made it a bit clearer.. Top corner of Lower Tier in Blackburn End - Near Riverside End.

It wasn't my intention to generalise the Blackburn End as a whole. That might explain why you didn't notice, unless your in that area too :unsure:

The Fans Forum has put the issue of smoking in toilets on the agenda for the next meeting on this Monday (8th). John Newsome will be coming along so we should haver a clear view from the club about what, if anything they are doing about the issue by Tuesday morning.

Let's hope for some common sense and an area provided outside of the stadium. It's done at other clubs so i'm sure it wouldn't cause any problems at Ewood. This would instantly stop the problem of people smoking in the toilets or anywhere else for that matter.

Again I have to emphsise that you , like Den , are taking for granted the government spin as to the extent of the danger of passive smoking . Only a fool would believe half of what they claim .

Also , if we're talking about the interests of the majority over the minority then the simple solution is to let landlords of pubs and clubs (for instance) determine for themselves whether smoking should be permitted on their premises .

Obviously some would be smoking and others non smoking . That way people get the choice to indulge in what is a perfectly legal pastime and those who like to be in a smoke free atmosphere can also have their way .

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing . Unless , of course , you're so far down the road to senility that you need a nanny state to determine your every action in life ..... :lol:

This idea of the nanny state... does it mean we can't have statutory pensions, the National Health Service, education, unemployment benefits, street lighting and anything else that wouldn't be fully funded unless the state (or the local equivalent) didn't do it? I take it those who criticise the 'nanny state' are totally against any public sector provision and, therefore, fund their own health care, education, welfare and anything else.

Or is it just one of those silly little expressions that gets banded about by some people to try and undermine (and usually fail) others arguments, such as "political correctness gone made"?

Anyhow, back on topic ...

The big screen had a number of messages about smoking on Thursday. If I understand correctly, companies that don't take appropriate action to counteract the illegal act of smoking in the workplace can face severe penalties; for example, pubs could lose their licence if they aren't seen to be compling with the law, and I guess Rovers could lose use of stands, similar to any H&S breach.

Trouble is, the message doesn't seem to be getting round to the youngsters not to start the daft habit in the first place......... :unsure:

The best way to get youngsters to do something is to tell them that it is forbidden. Such is the perversity of youth! :)

Something needs to be sorted and quick. If there is nowhere for people to 'nip out' to then they are going to smoke no matter how many times it displays messages on the big screen! A simple solution as I mentioned earlier would be to provide such an area outside of the stadium.

This idea of the nanny state... does it mean we can't have statutory pensions, the National Health Service, education, unemployment benefits, street lighting and anything else that wouldn't be fully funded unless the state (or the local equivalent) didn't do it?

I think it's a question of where it all ends .......

Hope you washed your hands if you wnt to the loos at half time last night :ph34r: :unsure:

Archived