BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supermarket Parking

4x4s are those unnecessary big jeep size things that are meant for farmers.

Absolutely right Mum. The damned things are a pain everywhere except off road. Take far too much room on the roads and car parks and guzzle fuel. Tax on them should be doubled for the space they take and the view of the road they block.

It's nonesense to suggest that any particular style or size of vehicle is defined by the term 4 x 4, just because some vehicle manufacturers following the general style of say a Range Rover.

The term 4x4 has been hijacked because it fits the headlines nicely for the politically correct nobheads and those who haven't a clue about engineering.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The term 4x4 has been hijacked because it fits the headlines nicely for the politically correct nobheads and those who haven't a clue about engineering.

I'd always thought the correct definition of 4 x 4 is a four-wheel drive vehicle designed for on and off-road driving.

Rather than becoming a term used by politically correct nobheads without a clue about engineering it has become a term of derision aimed at the vehicles and their drivers. Many people driving these wholey inappropriate vehicles don't handle them correctly, often can't park and have a blatant disregard for other road users - sadly many are women, who I'd really expect to know better. Why does one need to use a vehicle designed for off-roading, advertised as such, for a trip to Tesco? £1000 pa road fund tax would be a good start.

It's nonesense to suggest that any particular style or size of vehicle is defined by the term 4 x 4, just because some vehicle manufacturers following the general style of say a Range Rover.

Agreed, however manufacturers have hijacked the consept of the 4 wheel drive vehicle into becoming a luxury vehicle for school run. Thus giving people who actually use a 4 wheel drive as a necessity in their work environment.

Due to the nature of my job and some of the areas and terrain that I have had to cover,in inhospitable weather, I have owned the same 4 wheel drive vehicle for 7 years.

In that time clocking up nearly 130,000 miles, with a repair bills not exceeding £1500 in that time and still averaging 44 miles per gallon. Compared to the repairs by collegues attempting to undertaking similar work in the average family saloon Im quids in.

I am at a loss however as to why there is a need for the monster 4 x 4 luxury vehicle, just to ferry little Johnny to school. The nearest they get to off road terrain is mounting the kerb to squash dog turds on driveway.

The way I look at it, the much-derided Volvo drivers of the '80s have simply got bigger toys.

Volvos were very fine and safe cars. Unfortunately too many idiots bought them to make themselves and families feel safe from their own inadequate driving skills and manners.

Ditto the Chelsea tractor.

Tax em off the road. If the selfish so-and-sos want to drive their ludicrous vehicles let them pay through their aquiline noses.

And talking of tax when is this feeble government going to end the company car perk ? 57 per cent of new cars on the road are driven by people enjoying an outdated tax perk at my expense.

Many people driving these wholey inappropriate vehicles don't handle them correctly, often can't park and have a blatant disregard for other road users - sadly many are women, who I'd really expect to know better. Why does one need to use a vehicle designed for off-roading, advertised as such, for a trip to Tesco? £1000 pa road fund tax would be a good start.

Whoa Mr Paul.

I drive an X-Trail, mainly in two wheel drive mode, but sometimes in auto mode [that allows extra safety in adverse conditions].

It's very economic, so why should I pay more tax than say, a people carrier, or a large Merc?

Tax em off the road. If the selfish so-and-sos want to drive their ludicrous vehicles let them pay through their aquiline noses.

And talking of tax when is this feeble government going to end the company car perk ? 57 per cent of new cars on the road are driven by people enjoying an outdated tax perk at my expense.

Jim, it's nothing like the perk it used to be. I am retired now but when I was working I voluntarily gave up my company car because of the tax it was costing me and took a pay increase instead. At 40% it costs a fortune.

Jim, it's nothing like the perk it used to be. I am retired now but when I was working I voluntarily gave up my company car because of the tax it was costing me and took a pay increase instead. At 40% it costs a fortune.

If it's such a poor deal why are 57 per cent of new cars on the road company cars ? And if they cost "a fortune" why don't company car drivers hand in their keys and drive their own cars instead ?

If it's such a poor deal why are 57 per cent of new cars on the road company cars ? And if they cost "a fortune" why don't company car drivers hand in their keys and drive their own cars instead ?

Either they are crazy or the cars are not 'perk cars' but are necessary to do the job. Depends how much of the usage is on company business. Mine was purely a 'perk car' and I was better off running a cheaper second hand car myself. Maybe it is not as punitive if you are not in the 40% tax bracket!

I thought the "4x4" was an attribute to a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Originally a Land Rover (for example) where the four wheel drive was needed for covering off-road terrain.

The price was an increase in fuel consumption.

For anyone to think that they need this attribute if they don't need to go "off-road" is rather silly. I go past them on my way to work in Manchester. They have bull bars & spotlights on the racks on the roofs.

They have too much money and need to pay many thousands more to think that they are some kind of "Crocodile Dundee" character while commuting to a secure car park in the centre of Manchester before settling down to another day of marketing soap powder to the masses.

Or something.

I thought the "4x4" was an attribute to a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Originally a Land Rover (for example) where the four wheel drive was needed for covering off-road terrain.

4x4 is just the drivetrain configuration. (4 wheels x 4 driving). Nothing more, nothing less. It does not indicate the vehicle application.

It is useful both on & off highway. On highway 4x 4 vehicles include Jaguar X-type, Audi quatro & Audi TT sports cars and the Fiat Panda!

Some 4x4s are permanent 4 wheel drive, some are driver selected (old Land Rover as you mentioned) & others come in at varying degrees via automatic sensing.

So there we have it.

You're correct Colin regarding increased fuel consumption because ther's a bit more weight with the extra drive line plus rolling resistance (when engaged) but it's only a slight increase.

Mine's permanent 4 wheel drive and does almost 40mpg. It's the most economical car I've ever had in 35years of driving apart from a Reliant Regal 3 wheeler van I had in the 70's. (and yes it was even the same colour s Del Boy's).

4x4 is just the drivetrain configuration. (4 wheels x 4 driving). Nothing more, nothing less. It does not indicate the vehicle application.

It is useful both on & off highway. On highway 4x 4 vehicles include Jaguar X-type, Audi quatro & Audi TT sports cars and the Fiat Panda!

Some 4x4s are permanent 4 wheel drive, some are driver selected (old Land Rover as you mentioned) & others come in at varying degrees via automatic sensing.

So there we have it.

You're correct Colin regarding increased fuel consumption because ther's a bit more weight with the extra drive line plus rolling resistance (when engaged) but it's only a slight increase.

Mine's permanent 4 wheel drive and does almost 40mpg. It's the most economical car I've ever had in 35years of driving apart from a Reliant Regal 3 wheeler van I had in the 70's. (and yes it was even the same colour s Del Boy's).

Pontificate all you want but at the end of the day we all know what is generally meant when the term 4x4 is used. What I usually term 'Tonka Toys'.

If we were talking about an Audi Quattro one would normally say 'Audi Quattro' and might say that it has 4 wheel drive not that it is a 4x4.

Pontificate all you want but at the end of the day we all know what is generally meant when the term 4x4 is used. What I usually term 'Tonka Toys'.

If we were talking about an Audi Quattro one would normally say 'Audi Quattro' and might say that it has 4 wheel drive not that it is a 4x4.

Dogmatic or not , they're the facts.

If people want to believe otherwise, then so be it.

The term 4x4 has been hijacked just like the word 'gay' was years ago.

Dogmatic or not , they're the facts.

If people want to believe otherwise, then so be it.

The term 4x4 has been hijacked just like the word 'gay' was years ago.

Words do get hijacked but we just have to accept that. No point in standing alone against the world. You are never going to change it. I wasn't too chuffed about the word 'gay' either but I have no choice but to accept it.

Gives a whole different meaning to the Gay Cavalier. Future generations will have a totally wrong idea about the guy. (I think)

Words do get hijacked but we just have to accept that. No point in standing alone against the world. You are never going to change it.

Have to agree with you, Al. That's the reality of it.

So a 4x4 owner is someone who posesses a homosexual? I'm confused.

Huh? :wacko:

Archived