BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supermarket Parking

Rather than start a new thread thought this would be best place to say this.

Why when you drive onto a garage forecourt the car in front will wait until a pump is free that they can pull upto that is on the same side as their filler cap, don't people realise that the modern pumps will reach to the other side of the car, really infuriates me especially if it's a small forecourt and you can't get past them.

Well I have more respect for my car than to drag a reinforced hose right over the top, scratching the paintwork and rubbing off the wax. If you have to wait for a minute or two then so be it. Try to calm down before you drive away.

However, if there is space, I will move my car from the pump after filling up so that you can use it whilst I go and pay. Do you think of doing that?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dik Bleek

When I was in the South of France last summer cuing for fuel in the summer heat and with the strong smell of petrol fumes in the air, there was several cars with their windows wound down and arms hanging out flicking cigarette ash off their cigarettes, now that is something to complain about !

Just one point on taxing 4x4's - I agree entirely. But do it properly, not by increasing the fuel tax, do it by hammering road tax. The price of fuel is irrelevent if you only drive 3000 miles a year. If you drive 25,000 miles a year, then chances are you need your car for your job and therefore should not have to pay massive amount sof tax on fuel. The tax on all cars should be on the cost of ownership, not the cost of running it. You will not reduce the number of cars owned (which is what you have to do if you really want to reduce pollution) by adding a few pence to the price of fuel.

All you do when you increase the price of fuel is to increase the cost of every single product in the UK as everything is transported somewhere at some time. This is the point that our cretinous leaders continue to overlook.

The way to do it is to make the MOT test much more difficult to pass (thus driving older cars off the road) and by quadrupling road tax. HGV's will be able to spread the cost across the business, but the average car owner who suddently has to write a cheque for say £1000 every year just for the privilege of having a car sat on his drive will think twice.

It won't affect the Cayanne drivers of the world, but nothing will, so don't worry about them. Believe it or not, the make up a tiny fraction of the motorists and they really aren't the ones clogging up our roads. You see far more 10 year old fiestas on the roads than you do Cayannes, even where I live!

Wax a car? You must be as old as your avotar Al. :)

You don't have wax in your car shampoo or at the drive through car wash do you not Gordon? No wonder they rust and drop to bits is it? A hand wax and polish also helps to preserve them and make them look like new.

You worry me sometimes.

You don't have wax in your car shampoo or at the drive through car wash do you not Gordon? No wonder they rust and drop to bits is it? A hand wax and polish also helps to preserve them and make them look like new.

You worry me sometimes.

Only sometimes? I'll have to try harder. :rolleyes:

Anyway that wax n' wash stuff. How does it work? Any chemistry students able to explain this? Wax and water and wax and detergent simply do not mix. So how can a car be waxed as it is washed? :blink:

Only sometimes? I'll have to try harder. :rolleyes:

Anyway that wax n' wash stuff. How does it work? Any chemistry students able to explain this? Wax and water and wax and detergent simply do not mix. So how can a car be waxed as it is washed? :blink:

Always confused me too Theno, same as screen wash which has an "inflammable" warning on it. How can it be that when it mixes with water?

As far as waxing the car, it's nor really a car thing but I like just washing & waxing it and watching the water & rain bounce off.

Sad really. But there you go.

What's a 4x4?

Those big cars women use to take their kids to school. Range Rover, Mercedes X5 etc......can't think of any other brands. Also known as the Chelsea tractor

Another deviation off thread, but what is the difference between flammable and inflammable? They both burn. I've never been able to get my head around that one.

Inflammable is the original word picked up from French and has always meant "liable to catch fire". The French world itself orignated from the latin verb "inflammare" (to catch fire). At some stage in the English language evolution, some people may have begin to simplify it by saying just "flammable". So it is not the last which took a suffix, it is Inflammable which was shortened.

In French no such a shortcut exists.

It's the same as valuable/invaluable Cheshers.

Well you live and learn. I'd worked out the latin origin, but never really associated it with the French. I'll have to stop using it as a word now!

As for car park at supermarkets, on the odd occasion that I go, I always take up 2 spaces but I also park in the furthest corner away from the doors so that nobody is inconvenienced by my "bad" parking. It does however mean that my paintwork is still immaculate.

Not really. Most disabled wheelchair supporters would rather sit on an elevated platform where they can comfortably see the game without having to sit in the rain and the cold and peer over the perimeter barrier and round supporters arriving late/leaving early/on their way to the concourse trotting along in front of them. Yes we have many 'spaces' but that is not the be all and end all of the situation.

4x4s are those unnecessary big jeep size things that are meant for farmers. They always park next to me in the car park causing difficulty when I am reversing out because you can't jolly well see past them :angry:

4x4s are those unnecessary big jeep size things that are meant for farmers. They always park next to me in the car park causing difficulty when I am reversing out because you can't jolly well see past them :angry:

Absolutely right Mum. The damned things are a pain everywhere except off road. Take far too much room on the roads and car parks and guzzle fuel. Tax on them should be doubled for the space they take and the view of the road they block.

Archived