• Nelsen
    • Warnock
    • Bentley
    • Emerton
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz

Judging on technical ability, Gerrard is a long way from being a world class footballer. He's a good distance behind players like Xavi, Fabregas, Scholes, Kaka, Deco etc in that regard. He is one of the top midfielders though in terms of impact he has on games and how important he is to his team. I can't ever remember a supposed 'top' team being so reliant on a single player to make them perform and win them games. One of the journos on Sunday Supplement had it right this morning when they said he can become too 'Roy of the Rovers' on occasion and feel he has to do everything himself.

Long way behind??

How long have you been watching football, You know Gerrard would walk into any team! He's world class, his technique is amazing, the timing of his runs are spot on. Xavi? Scholes?, I can't believe your comparing them to Gerrard!

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing that really angered me most though was the totally unexpected and unbelievably biased performance of the three pundits on Setanta. Macca as an ex Liverpool player and a scouser I can understand and expected no more, but the comments of Dalglish and Sherwood just beggar belief. I had expected when I saw the three to find that Macca was there to give the Liverpool angle, Dalglish as an Ex- mamager of both clubs to give a decent balanced view, and Sherwood as the ex-captain of Rovers title winning side and with no connection to Liverpool at all to give a Rovers slant on things.

But No Way!! What we got was a sickening Liverpool bias that never at any time admitted Rovers superiority in any part of the match or even to admit that Rovers were worth comparing to Liverpool. Before the match even started the anchor man asked Dalglish what he thought the prospects for the game were, and I could not believe my ears when Dalglish replied with "well don't expect me to tip Blackburn" and then for the rest of the day he never once praised anything about the Rovers. Sherwood was not much better either in this respect. Then at the end they all three sat and analysed the match from a hugely pro-Liverpool point of view, pointing out the tactical errors made by Rafa and talking for the entire time as though they were all sitting in a pub in Liverpool talking only to Liverpool fans. Bloody Disgraceful!!!

I dont know if these two had been specifically told to concentrate more on 'BIG CLUB' Liverpool with their comments and analysis but by christ what a poor do!.........again, the 'disrespect' shown to our club is f'kin woeful.

Our own title winning ex-manager and captain eh :angry2:

Just a few comments:

Somone said that Bert may need a rest given the number of games he has played - No he wont. He is the fittest and possibly the most durable player on the planet.

[i typed a number of paragraphs about how he played for the Aussies then jumped on a plane - travelled half way round the globe - got off the plane - and played that day or the following day - but I deleted them because i was ranting].

He certainly isn't the best footballer in the world. He is out of his depth in the centre of the park (at this level). His crossing and passing does my head in - but his fitness and durability are second to none. And I think he and bentley (as a right back and winger pairing) is sensational.

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT

On Sky sports in Australia the "interactive news sports channel" said (something like) "Blackburn drop points against Liverpool - leaving them on 22 points, 1 point above Liverpool on 21".

It was refreshing to see "Blackburn drop points ..." - as opposed to being "Liverpool drop points ... ".

I hope that makes sense.

AND

I thought Dunn, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Benni played well. They caused loads of problems for a shabby liverpool defence. What a great bunch. Posts. Crossbars. Penalty claims. Should've been at least one up at half time.

And (there are a lot of "Ands" in this post) I loved the way Samba took the **** out of Kuyt - collecting the ball, droppping his shoulder, leaving Kuyt for dead, storming through the midfield. Good to see him full of confidence.

These really are exceptional days to be a Rover.

Okay I will get back to work.

Just a few comments:

Somone said that Bert may need a rest given the number of games he has played - No he wont. He is the fittest and possibly the most durable player on the planet.

[i typed a number of paragraphs about how he played for the Aussies then jumped on a plane - travelled half way round the globe - got off the plane - and played that day or the following day - but I deleted them because i was ranting].

He certainly isn't the best footballer in the world. He is out of his depth in the centre of the park (at this level). His crossing and passing does my head in - but his fitness and durability are second to none. And I think he and bentley (as a right back and winger pairing) is sensational.

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT

On Sky sports in Australia the "interactive news sports channel" said (something like) "Blackburn drop points against Liverpool - leaving them on 22 points, 1 point above Liverpool on 21".

It was refreshing to see "Blackburn drop points ..." - as opposed to being "Liverpool drop points ... ".

I hope that makes sense.

AND

I thought Dunn, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Benni played well. They caused loads of problems for a shabby liverpool defence. What a great bunch. Posts. Crossbars. Penalty claims. Should've been at least one up at half time.

And (there are a lot of "Ands" in this post) I loved the way Samba took the **** out of Kuyt - collecting the ball, droppping his shoulder, leaving Kuyt for dead, storming through the midfield. Good to see him full of confidence.

These really are exceptional days to be a Rover.

Okay I will get back to work.

You can say a lot of things about Liverpool, but I don't think they have a shabby defence. Carragher however seems to get away with everything.

I'd take 7p at the moment. At one point he walked over to the bench and I suggested he just sat down as at least then Mr Warnock would not HOPE to get assistance from him. Oh, and Philipl- the reason for Warnock not being as good today was that instead of Dunn in front of him he had the useless MGP there.

He needs dropping- preferably from the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

I think your criticisam is unfair of Pederson, hes a winger and you notice wingers by magic and game changing moments they aint in the game in an attacking role all the time so you dont notice what they are doing. TBH Bentley was actualy poorer and had a oppertunity at the game changing moment and missed the chance of the game for us, They both had bad games but that football, Pederson gives his all like Bentley, we have a technically gifted footballerdown our left hand side who is defined as a threat by every team we play against. HOW MANY PREMIERSHIP CLUBS WOULD GIVE FOR A PLAYER OF PEDERSONS QUALITY? Get behind the goup we have dont knock it.

My 2 shillings:

- Atmosphere - a few posts said it was good but I swear I spent most of the match listening to Liverpool fans, especially the beginning. I heard a few "Hughesie" and "McCarthy" chants but it didn't sound that good to me. Mind you it wouldn't surprise me if Sky altered the volumes, or put more mikes at the Darwen End.

Telly bias mate, Atmosphere was great!!!

- For a team that cost less than Torre's left leg we made 'Pool look mediocre at times, there was a sweet moment in the first half when Samba just walked the ball past their front men out of defense.

Player for player with Liverpool ID take OUR Strongest 11 over theirs bar Gerrard. We are a TEAM a great TEAM when we play we have great TEAM players but the diference now we have Technically gifted players too and Players who work along with those will make us a tough tough proposition.

We badly need a break. One game in 21 days now will do a worls of good.

Obviously there were some out there no-where near 100% fit. We were still the better side for 70 mins.

Does anyone know why the ManU game is on Sunday? Does Fergie decide when they play now?

I understand what t=you are saying but that break could stop the Rytham we have of winning. IMO Footballers want to play as much as possible with a break as last resort especially when they are winning. I bet its the last thing Hughes wants too.

Another sensible post from Seggie. Just as I was beginning to think my TV had shown some kind of "alternative dimension" view of the match.

Cheers

I think if we are on TV at the moment if we aint playing the so called big four we will get our recognition. We could win 3-0 at OT nextweek and they would be saying how unlucky Utd was.

You can say a lot of things about Liverpool, but I don't think they have a shabby defence. Carragher however seems to get away with everything.

The Guardian report was written entirely from a Liverpool perspective, nicely teeing themselves for an all out attack on Benitez should/when they fail in the CL/not recover ground in the EPL. Hicks and Gillet are not the Moores family and I suspect they will axe Rafa after Rafa so inadvisedly faced them down after the Milan final defeat- a defeat his own bizarre selection policy had helped engineer. Rafa gone before Christmas? I don't bet but if I did, I'd have a few bob on that.

Anyway there is this tailpiece to the Guardian's report:

What must Carragher do to concede a penalty?

Nov 3 Handball v Blackburn The Liverpool defender "makes himself big" and pulls off a fine block save of Andre Ooijer's shot

Oct 28 Holding v Arsenal Encouraged by his escapes against Everton, Carragher tugs Cesc Fábregas to the floor by his shirt

Oct 20 First 'penalty' v Everton Carragher practises his Greco-Roman wrestling skills on Joleon Lescott. Mark Clattenburg sees nothing amiss

Oct 20 Second 'penalty' v Everton Looking for better artistic impression marks, he hauls down Lescott again

Ooijer's connemnts in the LT suggest the ref saw the handball but decided it would have been a harsh one to give. Just out of interest, did the BBE shout for a penalty? It didn't seem that they did from the TV coverage I watched.

The Independent's coverage this morning blandly states that Liverpool will automatically rise back into the top four when they get their injured players back. That of course ignores the fact that we were beyond the bear bones in midfield ourselves on Saturday but it is true there are three of the most outstanding players in Europe currently unavailable for the Rafa random number generator method of selection (unless you are called Crouch when your number is always sub with less than 20 minutes left if you are lucky).

Long way behind??

How long have you been watching football, You know Gerrard would walk into any team! He's world class, his technique is amazing, the timing of his runs are spot on. Xavi? Scholes?, I can't believe your comparing them to Gerrard!

Your opinions don't surprise me. The English game produces midfield players who are all hustle and bustle yet are unable to keep possession of the football. It's why we fail in major tournaments and why managers invariably are forced to look abroad if they want to bring in a midfielder with any guile or craft. Michael Carrick is seemingly heralded as England's best player in this mould; a man whose passing repertoire consists of 10 yard passes sideways and backwards and/or giving the ball to Paul Scholes.

Xavi is a wonderfully gifted footballer who would walk into the England team. If Scholes was Dutch or Spanish he would have been the heartbeat of their national teams for his entire career. There is no way he would have been shunted out wide to accommodate players like Lampard. The way Scholes manipulates the ball and passes and moves to make triangles and suchlike is fantastic. The subtlety of it is lost though on most English football fans. You rating Gerrard more highly whose options on the ball consist of bursting forward and shooting on sight or playing a 50 yard cross-field Hollywood pass are evidence of this.

Until attitudes change in this country we'll continue to produce Nigel Reo Cokers and Kevin Nolans instead of Mikael Artetas and Tugays.

I dont know if these two had been specifically told to concentrate more on 'BIG CLUB' Liverpool with their comments and analysis but by christ what a poor do!.........again, the 'disrespect' shown to our club is f'kin woeful.

Our own title winning ex-manager and captain eh :angry2:

Here we are: setantauk@setanta.com

My protest has already gone in :angry:

Good effort on Saturday - not least from the fans who were excellent.

One problem though with the chants in the Blackburn end was the disjointed singing - one part of the stand starts with the singing, then the drummer joins in at a slower pace and before you know it everyone is a bar out with each other (sounds a bit like an echo). I appreciate there is always a bit of this - it just seemed particularly notable on Saturday. That could have accounted for the chants not seeming as loud for those who watched it on the telly.

I thought Dunny was excellent first half shame that predictably he went off after 60 mins then when Tugay came on i thought Rovers performance started to go backwards and he our turkish delight struggled big time.

A quality central midfielder for christmas is an absolute must for Rovers in order to progress further this season.

:rover: listened to the game on radio lancs,howard gayle was the co-comomtator and it was his first visit to the new ewood.he said it was a penalty and then retracted his statement as he is still a liverpoo fan.on radio lancs it was claimed that pedersen ran 14 km a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!which is hell off a lot,happy with a point :brfcsmilie:

Guest fernhurstblue
Good effort on Saturday - not least from the fans who were excellent.

One problem though with the chants in the Blackburn end was the disjointed singing - one part of the stand starts with the singing, then the drummer joins in at a slower pace and before you know it everyone is a bar out with each other (sounds a bit like an echo). I appreciate there is always a bit of this - it just seemed particularly notable on Saturday. That could have accounted for the chants not seeming as loud for those who watched it on the telly.

talking of the drummer, i've never really like the idea but never said anything ..... however sunday really took the biscuit "lets all do the samba" TOTALLY RUINED by that bufoon, AND I WOULD TELL HIM TO HIS FACE :angry2:

club/fans forum - GET RID OF HIM!!!!!

A view from the Rowdy Riverside....

Let`s all do the Samba!......

:tu:

I wonder why those lads cannot sing sitting down? Odd isn't it? £30 per ticket, the match in full flow and some inconsiderate pratts standing up bellowing and punching the air is simply not fair on those behind. Reminds me of why I moved across the park.

talking of the drummer, i've never really like the idea but never said anything ..... however sunday really took the biscuit "lets all do the samba" TOTALLY RUINED by that bufoon, AND I WOULD TELL HIM TO HIS FACE :angry2:

club/fans forum - GET RID OF HIM!!!!!

I've already given my solution...... trade his drum for some bongo's.

Guest fernhurstblue
I wonder why those lads cannot sing sitting down? Odd isn't it? £30 per ticket, the match in full flow and some inconsiderate pratts standing up bellowing and punching the air is simply not fair on those behind. Reminds me of why I moved across the park.

GET A BLOODY LIFE! (and no, i dont sit in the riverside)

Long way behind??

Xavi is better then Gerrard.

Also the comments about Bert, he has the highest score in the beep test the australian institute of sport has ever recorded. So yeah he is a pretty fit player. He is currently ranked as Australia's fittest athlete.

Guest fernhurstblue
Not much of a life if you can't see past the person in front of you.......... :angry:

the point is,YOU CAN SEE THE WHOLE PITCH FROM THE FOOTAGE SHOT.

jesus .....

Ha Ha, that's your age showing, you grumpy old sod :lol:

the point is,YOU CAN SEE THE WHOLE PITCH FROM THE FOOTAGE SHOT.

jesus .....

Are you terminally stupid or what? The 'camera' holder is sat at least 4 rows back from said inconsiderate d1ckheads. Those directly behind could see sod all. And before you come back with some equally pointless retort just remember......... You cannot defend the indefensible!

Archived