• Emerton
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without the anchor Mokoena to turn to, I wonder if Hughes will go the other way and try to nick the game by throwing on Derbs or Treacy? I don't think we'll have as good a chance to beat Liverpool for a long time.

Edit: I forgot, we don't need supersubs - we've got Chrissy Samba on the pitch!

Friedel was immense and certainly is in line for man of the match (I didn't catch the sponsor's MOM; EDIT: It was Brett Emerton).

Kewell helped turn the game for Liverpool.

Gerrard played a very good game.

Kuyt could have finished us off, but luckily for us he is not the most polished of footballers.

Overall, we can be happy with a point. (That's me being a bit grounded and cautious and just happy to get something. I'm sure others think we should have come away with all three points.)

We dominated the first half and for some time thereafter, but it is against a big four club and that will do us to be going on with. We had chances, but they did too toward the end.

We have a very good chance of a top four finish if we keep limiting the "traditional" top teams like this.

We escaped that one. We seemed to dominate the first half, then fairly even the first 10-15 min of the 2nd half, then it was all Scousers the last 30-35 min. Oojier's shot should have been a PK opportunity though. THat was just rubbish how the commentators were trying to make excuses. Apparently our new defensive technique should be to line a few players up along the line, make sure they're all leaning backwards then they're allowed to stick their arms up to block shots with their hands.

Ultimately it was a fair result. Impressed with the way the team battled today in the absence of a usual central midfield pairing; this is not the type of game Tugay can really excel in, and I think that explains why we tapered off a bit in the second half.

Could have gotten a penalty on the Carragher handball, but it was surely tough to judge for the referee. Gerrard could just as easily have put away either of his chances -- excellent saves by Friedel -- so a draw is probably a fair result.

Still, we outshot them in total, had the same number of shots on target, more corners, and generally looked the more threatening side for 70 minutes. Unimpressed with Liverpool today; without Torres, they struggled to create much offensively until Crouch came on. All in all, if you can take a point off the top four sides (especially whenever you're forced to play Bentley and Tugay in central midfield for 40 minutes), you've got to be happy with that.

Samba for MOM: he was everywhere, and if Bentley and Pedersen had gotten some quality crosses in, he might have gotten on the scoresheet.

Edit: or Friedel for MOM. A couple of immense saves down the stretch.

We were playing really well and passing the ball around brilliantly until Dunny went off and then we resorted to long balls and lost our way some what. Liverpool didnt look like scoring until the last 10 minutes when Crouch came on. A point is about fair, we certainly didnt deserve to lose and should have had a pen!!

Until Dunn went off we looked the crisper and more dangerous of the two sides but we needed our crosses and corners to be much better- only one or two carried any real danger.

Samba just looks so comfortable and classy it is ridiculous at times.

Some great saves by Friedel at one end and the woodwork at the other end.

I think it speaks volumes for everything BRFC when the MIGHTY Liverpool come to Blackburn and set their stall out to take a point from the game and its even more a compliment to Rovers when you look at Liverpools recent away form.

For me, a point was a fair result. I dont agree with that fat paddy lookalike when he says Liverpool should have won. Yes they had 3 chances in the second half but we had the same in the first.

Clearly, Rovers have to obtain a central midfielder in January of we are to sustain a top 5 challenge because for me, its all we are really missing.

I cant find anything to complain about really. Great crowd of 30000, great performance and on the face of it a great result.

Next stop Old Trafford, where I believe we face a seriously fantastic attacking Manure side. God help us we would have cried a couple of years back. But nowadays, I just wonder if Rovers can sneak something from the game. maybe a draw would be good with some winnable games on the horizon pre Christmas.

Bring it on :brfcsmilie:

Just got back from the game. Despite the 0-0 scoreline it was a thoroughly enjoyable game, with Rovers proving that they can be a top 6 or higher side and also that we can play some really good football. I hope that gets picked up by the press, one booking in the whole game, no bad challenges and a rollocking good game.

I thought we controlled the first half and should have been one up, but the second half we sat back back a bit more and Liverpool, no doubt spurred on by a shouting at by their manager at half time, pushed on a bit more.

Perhaps Liverpool should have scored in the second half, but a draw was a fair result. 30,000 on as well, and a cracking atmosphere, and let's hope the walk-ons today take advatage of the half season tickets on offer and bump the crowds up in the New Year, because this team deserves all the support it can get.

There were a few candidates for MoM today. Sanba was fantastic; so was Brad when called upon, and Emerton too. He played very well and interacted well with Bentley. But for me the surprise performance came from Ooijer; he was immense, and could also easily have taken the MoM award. I am surprised that no one else has mentioned him.

First half we should have been in the lead and I really felt the game was there for the taking. It was a crystal clear penalty but of course we did not get it. Liverpool did ran the show for the last 20 minutes of the second half, and all in all a fair result.

One thing we need to sort out asap! We have some players (Dunn and Bentley in particular) who takes far TOO MUCH time on the ball every time they get it. All our attacks just stops up, we should be playing a more direct style and bursting forward...

Benni deserves a special mention for his brilliant work ethics today!

THE PENALTY WE DID NOT GET!

1194118304634_653.jpg

Contrasting day for our two full backs. Ooijer was immense and was surprisingly good at getting forwards showing brilliantly tricky footwork opening a position on the Liverpool goalline at one point. Loved the way he completely bossed Babel.

Warnock was energetic and enthusiastic but a few too many passes went astray and at the end there were acres of space in our unguarded left back area- good job Kuyt is clueless when he gets into those positions.

You can't turn your nose up at a point against Liverpool but I really felt we should have won that in the first half. Some of our passing and defending however was atrocious. Fortunately enough Liverpool have now settled firmly into their usual season-long malaise and were unable to take advantage of our deficiencies.

Was really surprised when I tuned into Radio Rovers on the way back and heard several pundits and fans commenting what an outstanding match and performance from us it was.

For me it was a disappointing performance against a poor side we showed far much respect too. I was surprised in Hughes's team selection, I didn't think the Emerton in central midfield thing worked at all. Having said that maybe Sparky thought Gerrard would be too athletic for Tugay, and if anything we went worse after the veteran Turk came on, so maybe Sparky had a point.

Too many of our players were way below their best, Warnock (Worst game in a Rovers shirt for me - carrying an injury?) Bentley (again possibly carrying an injury?) Santa Cruz (not as sharp as previously, ditto on the injury front as regards his dodgy knees?) Emerton (fish out of water in central midfield) and MGP was just poor full stop.

On the plus side I thought Samba and McCarthy were sensational and Friedel kept us in it with some great saves at the end. (THey only looked dangerous when Crouch came on) By the end a point was a decent result and for me we've not played not particularly well against either Spurs or Liverpool but still come away with 4 points which has be a good sign!

But great performance today? Not for me, I thought we were briliant when we battered Arsenal for the majority of the game and earned a draw. Today didn't come into anything like the same category. We'll have to crank our game up a number of notches to get anything at the Theatre of Merchandising.

P.S. Samba v Kuyt - what a mismatch! If it had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it at half time to spare the hapless Dutchman further punishment! If Kuyt had to come up against our star man every week I reckon he'd retire!

Another great game at Ewood,very entertaining with fans and players from both sides contributing well I thought.Samba is simply immense,a real joy to watch and if the big man is not player of the season I'll show my fat arse!

Great atmosphere and crowd,when Ewood is full its a joy.......keep up the good work Rovers we're loving this!

:rover::brfc:

Archived