BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see us go for Sidwell, but £5 million is way too steep.

I can't see us spending 5 million on him but I can see us going in. Theres absolutely no reason for Chelsea to sell though when they are losing players to the ANC, he seems quite happy there, and obviously no shortage of cash around.

The ANC doesn't last for ever. Do the Group stages finish by end January/early February which will see half the players on their way back (including the Axe as South Africa are hopeless).

If there is a deal to be done, I am sure a signing with a one month loan back is not impossible. We won't be playing Chelsea again this season.

Looks like Valeri Domovchiyski is set to sign for us, fingers crossed he's another Hughes gem.. right now for a few midfielders too?!

As I mentioned earlier, Domi can do a job...as a last choice striker. This pretty much seals Roberts departure I guess. But in all cases - if Righters isn't ready for the Premiership yet, neither is he. Maybe we should have saved that money to help with the other buys we'll need to make.

maybe the 9.98seconds claim is dubious, who knows, but he's at least very quick and so far has put the ball in the net both at u21 level and for his club. remember newcastle, olympiakos and sporting lisbon were also sniffing around. you can only beat whats put in front of you, and with hughes being such a great judge of players, if hes signed then i'm confident this could be a great signing.

If Tottenham needs half of that amount for Chimbonda, I'd give it a pass. He's not even that good, is he?

Sporadically outstanding, sometimes very average. Not relly the sort of mentality that Hughes needs right now either. Need more solid workers like Nelsen and Reid as a opposed to capricious egos.

If Tottenham needs half of that amount for Chimbonda, I'd give it a pass. He's not even that good, is he?

He can certainly defend and chips in with a few goals. He gives a lot of work in a game but suffers from a bit of a temper, I remember him backhanding Nickey Butt in the mouth. He was also arrested for fraud I believe. I think he would be a calming influence on our defence. :lol:

I think we have a powderpuff midfield problem to address long before we get round to thinking that Emerton at right back is a problem.

One thing which has struck me today and to a certain this is reflecting joey big nose's contribution on another thread but the players we have been seriously linked with buying are:

- Hiddlestone

- Anelka

- Sidwell (today)

- and a young goal scoring flyer from Bulgaria who is at Brockhall on trial with a deal already negotiated to buy him if he is good.

We are not exactly looking at the bottom of the market are we for all the howls about penury.

If we disregard Anelka who would be a Benny swap (and I am certain we will see Anelka in either a Chelsea or City shirt before this week is out) then the others are addressing the club's major playing issues with the exception of central defence.

I tend to think that apart from Nelsen's dramatic loss of pace, our defensive problems are largely coming from the ease with which teams cut through our midfield whilst our attack is having to live on rank bad service coming out of midfield and that has totally disrupted Benni's game.

I'm sorry Philip but I don't really share your enthusiam if we are talking about the players we have been linked to in the press.

There is not a cat in hells chance that Anelka will be playing at Rovers. Not now, not ever. I don't think that Huddlestone is good enough for the Spurs team and I don't think he would be an improvement on Savage, Reid or Dunn. Sidwell would be a good move, but the money touted is silly for a player that was signed on a free last summer and who has hardly played for Chelsea this season. The forward sounds like yet another "exciting" youngster that will no doubt fail to make the cut.

If Savage is to leave, then we need a tough tackling midfielder who can protect the back four, now. If Roberts is leaving and there is any uncertainty over McCarthy's future, then we need another forward who can slot immediately into the first team, if required. I don't think this Bulgarian sounds like he is ready for Premiership football.

I think we have a powderpuff midfield problem to address long before we get round to thinking that Emerton at right back is a problem.

One thing which has struck me today and to a certain this is reflecting joey big nose's contribution on another thread but the players we have been seriously linked with buying are:

- Hiddlestone

- Anelka

- Sidwell (today)

- and a young goal scoring flyer from Bulgaria who is at Brockhall on trial with a deal already negotiated to buy him if he is good.

We are not exactly looking at the bottom of the market are we for all the howls about penury.

If we disregard Anelka who would be a Benny swap (and I am certain we will see Anelka in either a Chelsea or City shirt before this week is out) then the others are addressing the club's major playing issues with the exception of central defence.

I tend to think that apart from Nelsen's dramatic loss of pace, our defensive problems are largely coming from the ease with which teams cut through our midfield whilst our attack is having to live on rank bad service coming out of midfield and that has totally disrupted Benni's game.

Completely agree with you Philip shore up midfield and then concentrate on defence. I understand what you are saying in regards to our potential signings, the people we are after (youngsters excluded) are smart moves that Hughes could pull off and our board could finagle the transfer fee. I still think Hunt would be the best candidate but I see his club never letting him go.

tcj, My point was that the list of players we are being linked with are not:

Clogger Jones from Torquay

An Accy Stanley reserve

Burkino Faso's star juggler

etc..

ie there is a big discrepancy between all the noises that we are skint and the sort of players it appears we are serious about getting.

I don't know enough about Sidwell but I have seen £3m mentioned as Chelsea's asking price.

I do know more about Huddlestone and would be ecstatic if we were to get him. Just a great shame that Jol couldn't have had a mediocre start to the season as opposed to catastrophic as I fancy we would have got Huddlestone in this window had Jol still been there.

I don't want to swap Benni for Anelka but again the fact that one won't go away shows there must be something in our interest in Anelka.

Completely agree with you Philip shore up midfield and then concentrate on defence. I understand what you are saying in regards to our potential signings, the people we are after (youngsters excluded) are smart moves that Hughes could pull off and our board could finagle the transfer fee. I still think Hunt would be the best candidate but I see his club never letting him go.

Ditto Rebel & therefore Philip.

Valeri Domovchiyski looks a good 'un, Sidwell is just the ticket for me, I think the reflection post Coventry will confirm MH's thoughts on our passengers & youngsters not being upto the Prem.

Still can't believe we lack "Steel"

Let me guess what the chant is going to be for our Bulgarian "Domovchiyski" Clap Clap Clap Clap... :lol:

- Hiddlestone

- Anelka

- Sidwell (today)

We haven't actually been seriously linked with anyone other than the Bulgarian kid on trial have we?

The Huddlestone rumours have only to my knowledge appeared on various chat rooms and message boards, the Sidwell rumour is a completely unsubstantiated piece that has surfaced today, and we have officially denied any interest in Anelka.

The one thing we do know is that Hughes has said he has little or no money available and there is unlikely to be any activity unless an opportunity arises to trade some players.

Ditto Rebel & therefore Philip.

Valeri Domovchiyski looks a good 'un, Sidwell is just the ticket for me, I think the reflection post Coventry will confirm MH's thoughts on our passengers & youngsters not being upto the Prem.

Still can't believe we lack "Steel"

Let me guess what the chant is going to be for our Bulgarian "Domovchiyski" Clap Clap Clap Clap... :lol:

Domovchiy ski ski ski will you spell your name for me Domovchiy ski ski will you spell your name for me

:blink:

We haven't actually been seriously linked with anyone other than the Bulgarian kid on trial have we?

The Huddlestone rumours have only to my knowledge appeared on various chat rooms and message boards, the Sidwell rumour is a completely unsubstantiated piece that has surfaced today, and we have officially denied any interest in Anelka.

The one thing we do know is that Hughes has said he has little or no money available and there is unlikely to be any activity unless an opportunity arises to trade some players.

To be honest that is a very sensible stance to take,during the Jack Walker years we used to pay over the odds for players because other clubs knew we had money to burn.Also as nicko says,we are in a far better position to buy players when the `bigger` clubs have done their shopping,transfer activity in recent years back this claim up (eg:Santa,Bentley,Samba etc.).

I wouldn`t be surprised if we look like we are doing nothing until the final few days of the transfer window,then all of a sudden 2 or 3 players turn up.

Archived