BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is about realism rather than computer game playing, I'll offer two observations:

- Hughes has far more stickability in pursuing transfer targets than most managers. Look at how Benni arrived after 18 months and the resolute chase for Savage. Despite the last minute dramatics, Dunn had clearly been monitored for a long time before he had arrived. I'd dust down the list of people we have been linked with in the past.

- Who we get is going to be critically dependent on our points total and league position at the end of the New Year holiday. I guess, the Trust's spending budget and Williams/Hughes tactical plans are probably already in place but in the scrap for securing what talent there is going to be around, sitting 5th and only four points off a CL place is going to be very helpful in supporting the attractiveness of the club and its management.

No doubt there are going to be all kinds of howls about making big sums available. Finding meaningful and acquirable targets is probably going to be the bigger issue than funds availability. There will be players available with £5m+ tags who are worse than we have got already but that is only progress in the world of football game make believe.

With the downturn in optimism about Reidy plus the question marks over Sav & Tugs I wouldn't be surprised to see a youngish attacking midfielder turning up in January. We did look at Huddlestone a while back, I think, though I'm not convinced about his quality given his performance overall so far this season.

Personally I'm quietly confident about the transfer window, as Hughesey has proved himself more than capable of strengthening the team in key areas without breaking the bank.

if steve sidwell has ambitions of playing for england he does need to leave chelsea-unless he forces himself in the squad..

i personally think 2 central midfielders are needed-one replacing tugay-i would like huddlestone, and the other for when we get injuries..abou diaby(on loan maybe?)

I imagine it will be a very tough transfer window for Sparky.

I can't imagine we have much funds and with the amount of money in the league, the likes of City, West Ham, Newcastle etc. will be able to outbid us, and teams won't be letting plays go easily, as cover is needed for the African nations.

I fell we definitely need a couple of central midfielders, we might have to look at loan signings if the transfer budget is tight.

Possibilities of loans I have thought of.

MF

Fletcher - Man Utd

Diaby - Arsenal

Denilson - Arsenal

Sidwell - Chelsea

Permanents

Huddlestone - Spurs

Gera - West Brom

RB

Hoyte - Arsenal

Hopefully the scouts have spotted a few abroad as there doesn't seem to be much talent about in the Championship that could improve us.

Sidwell- very unlikely.

1) He went to Chelsea on a free so his wages are likely to be very high.

2) Until a few days ago, Rovers were ahead of Chelsea in the table- they are hardly likely to do anything which would help to strengthen us are they?

I don't think your second point will come in to it, but I certainly think his wages will be too high for us, they will be unlikely to let him go with Essien leaving for the ACN and on top of that I'm sure he feels that giving up after only 6 months is probably too soon.

Sidwell- very unlikely.

1) He went to Chelsea on a free so his wages are likely to be very high.

2) Until a few days ago, Rovers were ahead of Chelsea in the table- they are hardly likely to do anything which would help to strengthen us are they?

1.Yes he is on over 40k, a loan deal maybe

2. Irrelavant, Chelsea will finish a good 15-20 points + in front of us

You cannot seriously be entertaining the thought that Rovers have what it takes to finish above Chelsea?

Sidwell came to Chelsea in the knowledge that he will have a chance to impress and cement his place in the side come the African Cup of Nations. Likewise, Chelsea will need him as cover for when that time does come. Until Essien and Mikel return from their international duty, he will not be going anywhere.

I stand corrected.

Chelsea are so convinced of their massive superiority over us, they will start gifting their players to Rovers and paying half their wages so they will fit into our wage structure. Rovers are absolutely no threat to Chelsea whatsoever.

I stand corrected.

Chelsea are so convinced of their massive superiority over us, they will start gifting their players to Rovers and paying half their wages so they will fit into our wage structure. Rovers are absolutely no threat to Chelsea whatsoever.

Stop backtracking Pip, that wasn’t your original point. You tried to make some sort of assumption that Chelsea and us were at a similar level, we are not.

Yes Chelsea are superior to us in terms of First XI, and overall squad and 99% of Rovers fans would not try to think otherwise. That’s what you get when you spend over 500 million of transfers and wages.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we try to loan a sidwell or huddlestone type in the Jan transfer window. Or if we have the cash and they are within our budget try to get them permanently. Our best bet IMO is to sniff around the reserves/fringe players of Europe’s giant clubs

With us losing Benni ti the African Nations and the likelihood opf Roberts leaving would like to see this guy if this is anything to be believed from the BBC website

'Reading boss Steve Coppell has told striker Leroy Lita that his days at the Madejski Stadium are numbered unless he adds to the solitary goal he has scored so far this season. (Various) '

If they can sell Lassana Diarra to Arsenal I doubt they'll have any concerns by selling one of their rejects to us.

FFS, its mid NOVEMBER!

Too many things can happen between now and then to start speculating on specific player, or even positions, really. Last season we got breaks in the legs of Sav and Ooijer which changed priorities a bit. Rigth now, there's a month and a half till the windows open for things like that to happen again not only to us, but to potential targets and other teams we might "poach" from as well. And the ANC will stretch many clubs depth to the breaking point near the window as well.

I see this being a very tight market this winter (being not wanting to part ways with talent), meaning higher prices, which is a mixed bag for us. It might drive prices up on players we want, which is bad with our limited funds, but at the same time, with the market getting pushed high, there's the occasional gems that fall through the cracks for lower prices, such as a Roque, but they will come with risks (Roque's form and dodgy knees, Benni's Benni's attitude) for example.

Archived