BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flights To The States

Starting to think about a trip to California and Florida next summer. It doesn't matter which way round we go, California first or second. Initially the flights are more expensive than I had expected. Any tips on how and where to find good prices?

Last time I was in the states internal flights were very cheap. Is this still the case and how best to get the information?

There are direct flights with Continental to Newark International from Belfast which are relatively affordable if I remember correctly. You do have to pass through Homeland Security on the other end (if you fly from Dublin, that aspect is completed before you take off) but it's a route not many people know about. Newark connects to most other airports in the states after that.

Paul

Just keep checking. I went from Manchester to Boston then New york to Vegas and San Fran to home for less than £400. I kept looking on expedia and the prices were initially £650 then a few weeks later £1500 then dropped to £400.

I looked at the whole trip and then booking parts individually as internal and that affected the prices as well.

Good luck :tu:

Look at the possibility of matching airlines but make sure that you do read the fare rules on these as not all airlines are in agreements with each other eg. One World & Star Alliance

Keep looking on expedia.co.uk as even though I work for Expedia (Corporate Travel) will be more costly through us as the leisure site buys in baulk and the restrictions on such tickets are more than with nett fares we get etc. Internal flights are generally good priced.

Wait for the flight sales. Its probably too early for the summer flights. Get yourself on Expedia/Airline Network/Opodos mailing list. Also consider travelling from Heathrow to save a few quid, as theres more flight options.

Have you considered getting a package flight, Mytravel tend to offer some ridiculously cheap flight only options from time to time.

I've had some cracking deals over the last few years - been to Florida twice for less than 350 a time, flights accomodation and car included.

This is all very helpful, a lot more to it than I realised. Looks as though I shall be spending a few long winter nights surfing the web.

Thanks. Keep it coming.

Can someone explain what this Homeland Security thing is and why is Newark a problem?

It's a policy to employ American thugs to terrorise anybody with a non-US passport at the point of entry.

I made the mistake of being pleasant to the gorilla behind the desk and ended up spending an extra hour in a grotty windowless room waiting for the superior to see me as anyone who appeared cheerful after standing in line for 80 minutes is deemed to be suspicious.

I now tell Americans they have to get their arses over to see me.

It is an incredibly successful way of keeping undesirables out of the USA. The $ has dropped 40% yet numbers of visitors to the USA are down 25%. Mind you the American hoteliers don't mind too much as so many Americans think they will get eaten alive by some mad middle eastern if they leave the good ol' US of A that outbound trips from the USA are not exactly booming either.

American Airlines are fine if you are willing to gamble on everything going ok. However, if there are any slight problems with transfers, or heaven forbid you miss a connection or a flight is cancelled - forget it.

They have the absolutely worst customer service I have ever encountered in any situation.

I flew with American to try to get to a friends wedding in Denver in August. Due to a storm in Chicago (admittedly not AAs fault) I ended up missing the wedding as I couldn't be accommodated on another flight for 3 days. However, my luggage did make the trip and could have attended the wedding as it arrived in Denver two days before me.

Due to this separation of luggage, double booked hotel rooms, wasted car rental, and various other incidental costs - including a mobile bill of £115 in calls trying to sort out the fiasco - at one point I was almost £400 out of pocket. Not a single word of apology let alone compensation. What was particularly galling was that different departments told me different things that were often wrong, and they seemed to go out of their way to be unhelpful and misleading. Thankfully the travel insurance paid out £150 and the car hire company were very understanding and refunded everything, so only lost £125 in the end.

When I emailed AA with complaints on my return, apart from auto-responses, it took 3 emails and a fax to get anywhere. And then it was basically 'bog off'.

But previous flights with American have passed without incident...

Newark is just homeland security all souped up on roids. You probably will get raped and violated or insulted in some way shape or form if you pass through. It's just the way it is there since they're the closest to NYC and everyone still is post 9/11 crazy. Whatever. I take it with a grain and all that, the few times I went on vacation (I leave out of there cause it's 15-30 min form my house) my family and I just got there real early and it went off without a hitch for me. My dad always gets extra screening cause he has tattoos and steel toed boots and looks like a biker and the whole thing.

Avoid going through New York if you can. All security is a nightmare and they will lose your bags. AA are particularly hopeless.

Chicago is a decent hub to fly through or you can go through Dallas which is also quite a good airport. Small enough to get through easily and you can laugh at all the Ten Gallon hats.

US Airways has some cheap flights from Manchester to Philiadelphia at times (right now around £400, but I've seen it much cheaper). Then it is easy to get from Philly to other destinations (well, easy being that they have a lot of flights - never been to that airport and not had a delay leaving!). Once you get to the states, there are a couple of discount Ryanair type airlines. Spirit Air is the one I can most think of, and they seem to go down to resort areas such as Florida and the islands.

Book with American Airlines and pay in Dollars if you have the option. And yes the flights to the States baring NY and Florida are on the expensive side.

dont go with them...you are crammed in ,tellys are ###### and you have to pay for your beer at stupid prices...AND DONT BREAK YOUR ARM 2 DAYS BEFORE YOU GO BECAUSE ITS A MARE THRU IMMIGRATION AND YOU WILL END UP WITH SNIFFA DOGS AND YOUR ARM BEING X RAYED FOR BOMBS!!!.....and dont get snowed in chicago for 6 hours because you will end with a bar bill of $120 hahaahah or at least i did

i like delta and us airways...and every flight ive seen online ,text or anywhere ive printed it off and althams in blackburn have beaten every offer ive ever had and you get transport.

I'd suggest United, but they are usually a bit overpriced and inconvenient for the routes you are looking to do. That being said by the end of December I'll have traveled 25,000 miles with them in 3 months without any major problem (just one re-direction, where I had to go US Airways and remembered why United is so much nicer to travel in!), including the busiest day for travel in the US.

Once you get here to the States, Spirit Air is the best company to travel on. Great rates, and I've never had a problem with delays or cancellations from them. Plus, my bag's always made the trip with me, and that's a plus!

well for around states travel id suggest southwest or jetblue. always got low fairs and are pretty desent about getting your stuff there with you.

SteB's advice (and others) rings true based on my experience - keep trying, keep looking, and hold out for special offers and flight sales.

I haven't flown anywhere for over 18 months, but a couple of reasons have prompted me to want to go to New York in March. I bagged returns on British Airways from Heathrow for £228 each - booked during their recent flight sale.

The same BA flights are now £350 each, which is close to the prices quoted by Virgin, AA, Delta and Continental on the night that I booked. I also checked ex-Manchester and that priced itself out compared with Heathrow - as did hopping with Lufthansa, Air France, KLM or Icelandair. PIA and Air India came closer but I'd rather go in a canoe.

Zoom Air claim to be the bargain option over the pond, but they can't come close to the prices I got in BA's flight sale. You've got plenty of time, so I'd hang fire and see what the big players offer in January - the traditional lull in their income which comes after the Christmas holiday period.

Also - don't just rely on the internet - benchmark prices against every other possible form of booking, especially the round-trip type deals that others have already described.

SteB's advice (and others) rings true based on my experience - keep trying, keep looking, and hold out for special offers and flight sales.

I haven't flown anywhere for over 18 months, but a couple of reasons have prompted me to want to go to New York in March. I bagged returns on British Airways from Heathrow for £228 each - booked during their recent flight sale.

The same BA flights are now £350 each, which is close to the prices quoted by Virgin, AA, Delta and Continental on the night that I booked. I also checked ex-Manchester and that priced itself out compared with Heathrow - as did hopping with Lufthansa, Air France, KLM or Icelandair. PIA and Air India came closer but I'd rather go in a canoe.

Were going at Easter, but doing the hop on KLM. No flight sale available for those times for obvious reasons. Technically were only paying taxes, but still could have gone for cheaper from Heathrow.

Even if you do get a cheap flight, hotels arent cheap mind.

Archived