BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Trust Mark Hughes

PAFELL

Its funny how a couple games changes things. We looked very lightweight in the window when we were playing lots of games, and the lack of signings seemed a major issue, but suddenly our squad does look strong enough. THe major reason for this, in my mind, is that we are now down to one match a week which allows our players to get into a rhythm and fully rest before matches. Our stongest XVI is very decent, with the likes of McCarthy, Dunn, Pedersen and Reid threatening to hit form and Roberts, Tugay and Derbyshire providing quality from the bench. The only real question mark we have is whether Nelsen can recover.

Trusting Hughes seems like a sensible course of action.

I am just hoping we can have a day when all of our players play to their best and we destroy someone. It could be very soon.

Maybe there is a good feature in there for somebody like Nicko. Take each premiership manager, the number of points they have gained under their charge, the net amount of money they have spent and then work out the £ per point ratio. I bet it would make interesting reading (although perhaps not for a fat Spanish Max-and-Paddy bouncer lookalike... <_< )

Although on second thoughts it might just draw more attention to the good job that Hughes is doing here :blink:

I would like to see the analysis of points/£ spent. I think only Reading spent less than us in the summer, so Hughes job should be recognised.

Also, it does annoy me about Everton, they spend loads of money but Moyes still gets labelled as doing an amazing job, the commentators of City vs Everton on monday even said something like "City have spent £40m yet Everton are beating them.." - I would guess that Everton's team on the night cost more than Citys.

Although I'd possibly keep MH's record on the quiet so we don't lose him to another club!

Hughes is doing a good job, but I also think we shouldn't try and get ourselves overly excited by the lack of spending leading to good results. We also need to remember that a good number of the players he has made key parts of his team during his time here were already at the club. He's been a pretty good manager so far, let's see if he actually puts us in the next level of things. He's got a good squad now, regardless of how much they were brought in for he needs to make that good squad produce things. Many of his signings were as much to do with luck as anything else (Samba being a perfect example), just bringing in a good player on the cheap doesn't translate into points and at the end of the day that is what we all care about.

Many of his signings were as much to do with luck as anything else (Samba being a perfect example), just bringing in a good player on the cheap doesn't translate into points and at the end of the day that is what we all care about.

WHat do you mean luck? He brought him in. It was a quality find, he gave him a chance. You cannot deny him credit for that.

It is true we shouldn't get too carried away. But he has done an outstanding job on a tiny amount of money. I am not sure what he would have to do to impress you.

No it was luck, he was sent to us by an agent. Hughes had nothing to do with finding him and our scouting network wasn't involved. That is luck. I'm glad that he was smart enough to say that we should sign him once he had already come here, but it wasn't really the club that set that one up.

I will trust Mark Hughes as he pulls time on Tugays career in a Rovers shirt.

Todays lack of a performance shows that 40 a day and his age just cannot cope with Premiership football.

Sad ending but its time to let him go :huh:

Is it now the time for the usual Who stays and Who goes thread ?

For me

Out = Tugay, Mokoena, Berner, Henchoz, Enckleman

New contracts = Warnock, Bentley, MGP

Potential sales to fund alternative purchases = Benni and/or Roberts

Is it now the time for the usual Who stays and Who goes thread ?

For me

Out = Tugay, Mokoena, Berner, Henchoz, Enckleman

New contracts = Warnock, Bentley, MGP

Potential sales to fund alternative purchases = Benni and/or Roberts

Completely agree with the "out" list, I would certainly add Rigters to that and much as I like Gallagher, if Sparky refuses to give him a chance there seems little point in retaining him.

As regards sales, if we could get 5m for Benni, I would sell like a shot. Another season like this one and his value will be virtually nil. For 5m I'm sure we could get someone to contribute a lot more in terms of their all round game and two Premiership goals from open play.

Personally I would retain Roberts with a view to making greater use of both him and Derbyshire next season preferably with another striker also being brought in so we don't have to flog RSC to death.

Personally I would retain Roberts with a view to making greater use of both him and Derbyshire next season preferably with another striker also being brought in so we don't have to flog RSC to death.

Me too. He can make things happen lkate in the game. imo one of the last people that CH's want to see coming on for the last 30 mins is JR. Power and pace upsets so many defences.

Outs:

Enckelman,

Berner,

Hodge,

Gallagher,

Henchoz,

Rigters - out on loan.

New contracts to no one unless they are expiring next summer.

Let's face it though he won't get rid of Berner who is crap, Encks contract is up at the end of this year as well.

No it was luck, he was sent to us by an agent. Hughes had nothing to do with finding him and our scouting network wasn't involved. That is luck. I'm glad that he was smart enough to say that we should sign him once he had already come here, but it wasn't really the club that set that one up.

I'm sorry Eddie but suggesting some of Hughes's signings are down too luck is complete nonsense.

When a manager plucks players out of nowwhere time and time again there is alot more than luck involved.

Or is it only Rovers who recieve players from agents?

Ok, and in the last few years Hughes will have spent 15ish-20 million. So there is a difference, but 10 or so million over a couple years isn't really that huge of a difference.

Well it comes to roughly the money Everton paid for Yakubu, without him I doubt Everton would be too far ahead of us if at all.

OK eddie, not going to reveal my source but:

- Rovers get offered about 1,000 players by agents each window. So yes, Samba, Nelsen and the rest were offered by agents. (What else do you think agents do?). The skill/good luck is in choosing the one or two from the 1,000.

- Rovers were looking at Hertha Berlin players including one who came back through the reserves so whilst Samba was not the target, the club did have scouting files on him as a good scout will make notes about every player he sees.

Happy now?

Archived