BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Trust Mark Hughes

PAFELL

It appears that Mark Hughes has said that he does not want to add anymore players during this transfer window. How often have we all said that we trust Mark Hughes? Well if that is really true can we not support his 'choice' not to sign anybody? If he can be confident in the squad at Rovers, then why can we not do the same.

Look at Newcastle, lots of money, larger fan base, new manager etc and no signings this transfer window and no hope of doing anything this season.

At least Rovers have something to aim for this season, they can still finish 6th and could even push for 4th. There is no pressure on Rovers, all the teams above have spent lots and with it comes the pressure.

Every Rovers fan has reason to be positive for this season and beyond.

I would rather he signed no one than sign another Kevin Davies............The team is quite strong they are just a bit out of sorts...but undefeated in six is good...Hope it is seven by 4.45 on Staurday...

Do we trust MH, absobloodylutely pal, he's class act and so have the vast majority of his signings been..

Do you really think we'd have got the likes of Nelson, Samba, Bellamy, Ooijer, Warnock, Bentley, McCarthy & Santa without the likes of him as our manager?

IMO, you're Mad to even whisper it, never mind confirm insanity by posting it on here !!!

If he doesn't sign anyone then so be it... Rather that than sign any old dobber..

IN HUGHES WE TRUST!

:rover:

Do we trust MH, absobloodylutely pal, he's class act and so have the vast majority of his signings been..

Do you really think we'd have got the likes of Nelson, Samba, Bellamy, Ooijer, Warnock, Bentley, McCarthy & Santa without the likes of him as our manager?

IMO, you're Mad to even whisper it, never mind confirm insanity by posting it on here !!!

If he doesn't sign anyone then so be it... Rather that than sign any old dobber..

IN HUGHES WE TRUST!

:rover:

I do trust Mark Hughes - but I sometimes wonder if others do when you read the various negative posts on this website about being disappointed if we don't sign anybody etc etc.

IMO Hughes has a long term aim for Rovers which will not be fixed by short term signings. One thing Hughes has done is slowly added to the squad and got them playing as a team - then added again. He has never made wholesale changes all at once. Although Rovers don't have a large squad - they have a team that plays well together - all in a short period of time (3 years - geordies take note)

By not signing anybody Mark Hughes is telling his squad that he trusts them to progress further - therefore so should we.

IN HUGHES WE TRUST

I trust Mark Hughes not to sign rubbish just for the sake of making signings. I trust him not to pay over the odds for players who just aren't worth it. Doesn't mean I can't say that I think myself that we should have managed to find someone to replace Robbie Savage. We are short of decent central midfielders, were in summer and will be through to the end of the season by the looks of it, and that annoys me. Doesn't mean I support the team Hughes put out any less - just I'd like him to have more options available.

And if no suitable signings were available or feasible during this window?

I trust his judgement and people have it in their heads that Savage has 'carried' the midfield somehow - which he did until recently. When was Savage's last good game for us to warrant him being labelled as some sort of catastrophic loss, or Hughes needed to address our 'midfield crisis/issue'?

Savage was good for Rovers, then he got his injury. When he got fit again and could not get in the side, he sulked, which would have affected the whole squad - therefore Hughes let him go.

We DO need replacements but if they are not available then I like the fact the manager doesn't just keep going down the list until he gets someone. He sets his standard and that’s that.... but what if its the same in the summer?

Has our required standard and funds available diverged to such a point that dare I say it - this is the peak, as good as it gets, maximum possible potential attained given the constraints (such as the uncompetitive nature at the very top of the premier league tree)?

Its not a matter of trusting Hughes - it seems to me he has done all he can with us and potentially unsustainably over achieved.

The end is Nigh.

....or maybe not after all we are only talking about Robbie Savage and Arron Mokeana!

The logic of this thread is completely flawed.

Of course we trust Hughes, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Hughes' choice not to making a signing this window. Every interview he's done recently, he's bemoaned the lack of funds and how he's struggling to add to the squad. It's painfully obvious he wants to add to the squad but is unable to do so because there are no funds available.

Hughes probably knows the squad isn't quite good enough to get where he wants us to be, so he'll either have to perform miracles or settle for 9-10th league finish. If it's the latter then I don't expect us to hold on to him, Santa Cruz or Bentley for much longer.

Woooah hang on there,

MH took the job knowing full well that resources were limited.

If you take out:

(1)RFW's prolific spending at The Scum - he really has bought some donkeys over the years amongst the decent players

(2) Abramovich's billions at Chelsea, ditto

(3) Rafa's abysmal spending record at Liverpool

Then you are left with clubs who are all on a sensible budget. Just who are you going to say has done better than MH in bringing in decent players?

Martin O'Neill at Villa has done a decent job without splashing out millions.

David Moyes has done the same at Everton

Sven has splashed some cash at City but it looks like it's going pear-shaped

Rednapp has always been a bit of a wheeler-dealer & he's doing OK.

As previous posters have mentioned MH has bought in some decent players without spending silly money. Spending silly money is a luxury for the clubs with the silly money.

We don't have it. Neither do most other clubs. We will just have to live with it.

Woooah hang on there,

MH took the job knowing full well that resources were limited.

If you take out:

(1)RFW's prolific spending at The Scum - he really has bought some donkeys over the years amongst the decent players

(2) Abramovich's billions at Chelsea, ditto

(3) Rafa's abysmal spending record at Liverpool

Then you are left with clubs who are all on a sensible budget. Just who are you going to say has done better than MH in bringing in decent players?

Martin O'Neill at Villa has done a decent job without splashing out millions.

David Moyes has done the same at Everton

Sven has splashed some cash at City but it looks like it's going pear-shaped

Rednapp has always been a bit of a wheeler-dealer & he's doing OK.

As previous posters have mentioned MH has bought in some decent players without spending silly money. Spending silly money is a luxury for the clubs with the silly money.

We don't have it. Neither do most other clubs. We will just have to live with it.

Woooah hang on there,

O’Neil has spent close on 30 million two million and Moyes has spent over 45 million in the past three seasons. Both have been backed 10 times more than our manager. Redknapp has spent close more than 30 million since he returned to pompey.

Our manager has been given 3.5 million over the past three seasons, to put into context

To be fair to Moyes, he also sold Rooney. He'd still be ahead of Hughes in spending, but not by as much as you are making out. The other two, they've spent more for one simple reason, they've recently sold the club. Those Rovers supporters who think Walker is the long-term future should take a good look at how seriously they think we can compete with the likes of Villa and Portsmouth over the next 5 years.

My problem is, are we trusting Mark Hughes, or are we trusting our lack of spending power? I for one don't think Hughes thought we didn't need to add to the squad, he was just unable to. So you're not really trusting him, you're simply saying that our limitations won't be our downfall.

Yes, it would've been good to strengthen, especially in midfield. However, looking at the fees surrounding the vast majority of transfers into the Premiership, I'm more than happy to wait until Hughes can get who he wants. Let's be honest, without spending over the odds, would Hughes have been able to really strengthen his squad and get better than he already has? No. When you see the mess of the Benjani and Alves transfers, it also makes you grateful we didn't get involved with some clubs/players/agents. I love the way our club is run. In Hughes we trust, without doubt.

To be honest, we needed 3-4 new players to challenge for the CL. It's not going to happen. It will be a big achievement if we manage to keep this position by the end of the season. Not that it's bad, not by any means - but I really don't see us progressing further with this squad.

Money plays too large a part in football.

To be fair to Moyes, he also sold Rooney. He'd still be ahead of Hughes in spending, but not by as much as you are making out. The other two, they've spent more for one simple reason, they've recently sold the club. Those Rovers supporters who think Walker is the long-term future should take a good look at how seriously they think we can compete with the likes of Villa and Portsmouth over the next 5 years.

Eddie- moyes sold Rooney for 20 million + add onns over about years, he has spent close on 50 million since that tranfer. The gap between evertons & rovers spending during that time is massive.

Ok, and in the last few years Hughes will have spent 15ish-20 million. So there is a difference, but 10 or so million over a couple years isn't really that huge of a difference.

Eddie im not talking about gross im talking about net

Moyes in three years ill have spent 40 million net

Hughes in three yaers around 4-5 million

Eddie- moyes sold Rooney for 20 million + add onns over about years, he has spent close on 50 million since that tranfer. The gap between evertons & rovers spending during that time is massive.

Bazza, I'll stand corrected on Moyes' spending. I didn't realise how much he has spent.

As you say the gap in spending is massive. Yet they remain a less than massive five points above us. To my mind this means trust Hughes more than Moyes.

Cheers

Bazza, I'll stand corrected on Moyes' spending. I didn't realise how much he has spent.

As you say the gap in spending is massive. Yet they remain a less than massive five points above us. To my mind this means trust Hughes more than Moyes.

Cheers

That’s why I get slightly annoyed when people compare the jobs that Hughes & moyes are doing. Hughes is doing a far better job imo (although I rate moyes very highly) due to relative lack of money he has spent

• 4 weeks later...

Archived