BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Quinton Fortune

Iceman

Hi guys.what do u all think hughes should do.should he give quinton fortune a short term contract til the end of the season? Even though im a South African and would love to see him play for us,i just dont think at this stage of the season and heading into a crucial run in,that we should take a risk on him.saying that,he is a player that can play as a left sided midfielder,he can play in central midfielder both as an attacking and defensive midfielder.he has also played as a striker and right back before.so if he is fit,and hughes feels comfortable in signing him,then he wil give us many options for the rest of the season.

Answer

On his skills as a footballer alone, we should stay well clear of signing him! But, given the fact that we perhaps have one of the worst left sided substitute in Berner, then it makes sense signing a pretty poor/crap player like Fortune.

Answer

On his skills as a footballer alone, we should stay well clear of signing him! But, given the fact that we perhaps have one of the worst left sided substitute in Berner, then it makes sense signing a pretty poor/crap player like Fortune.

And here was me thinking he was a center midfield player. I was sure he played in the middle at Villa.

As for him coming to us - no, not for me. I would sooner give one of the younger lads a run and save on wages.

Surly there are better options than this muppet.

I was sure he played in the middle at Villa.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I didnt think he ever played for Villa. You sure you're thinking of the right player. I know Djemba Djemba went to Villa from United, just wondering if you've mixed them up. Be a bit harsh to label him a muppet if you're not even thinking of the right player.

And here was me thinking he was a center midfield player. I was sure he played in the middle at Villa.

As for him coming to us - no, not for me. I would sooner give one of the younger lads a run and save on wages.

He didnt play for Villa.

midfielders with top level experience who arent 34+ and who are free agents? name ANY options you can think of who fit into this category.

if he does alright in training it's a good move. you don't make 70 odd appearances for united if you're completely rubbish and we desperately need midfielders.

When all said and done he will be an extra body that we don`t have and all he will cost is a couple of grand in wages.If he plays rubbish we can release him without having to pay his contract up,if he plays well then we will have signed somebody for nothing.

Imo lets see him play before we make a judgement,i don`t think there were too many Rovers fans keen on Robbie Savage when he arrived and yet he did a good job for us.Lets hope Fortune can have the same impact.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I didnt think he ever played for Villa. You sure you're thinking of the right player. I know Djemba Djemba went to Villa from United, just wondering if you've mixed them up. Be a bit harsh to label him a muppet if you're not even thinking of the right player.

Right yep, thats who I have got mixed up with.

In this case ignore what I have said in this thread because I cant remember who the guy is then.

To also comment, I dont want Djemba Djemba at Rovers either then :P

tony gale's mic Posted Today, 14:19

QUOTE(Cocker @ Feb 23 2008, 12:21 )

midfielders with top level experience who arent 34+ and who are free agents? name ANY options you can think of who fit into this category.

I will be honest - I can't

Right yep, thats who I have got mixed up with.

In this case ignore what I have said in this thread because I cant remember who the guy is then.

To also comment, I dont want Djemba Djemba at Rovers either then :P

I will be honest - I can't

fair enough, so at least you see why hughes wants him in? i think if he passes the trial he can do a job for us. maybe MGP needs some serious competition to wake him from his slumber? or if not, then maybe fortune can give us something a bit more on the left...it's not going to take much to be better than MGP right now.

Morten Gamst Pedersen - stuck in Crapland, home of Norwegian boyband wannabes.

Bruno Berner - second cousin of Sebastien Pelzer

Sergio Peter - in hiding

Keith Treacy - injury prone and a toddler

Martin Olsson - injured and a foetus

Which leaves a grand total of one left sided player of note at Hughes' disposal - Warnock.

Fortune may be a 1/4 of the player he once was but going on the above, he has a great chance of getting a contract. Heck, Stig Inge Bjornebye would have a good chance of getting on the Rovers bench.

Quinton Fortune, in his pomp, was a cross between Ulises De La Cruz and Kevin Muscat. He'd be an improvement on Gamst even if he just plays like Useless De La Cruz.

Yeah, why do you ask? :rolleyes:

Why? This isn't like you. :lol:

Morten Gamst Pedersen - stuck in Crapland, home of Norwegian boyband wannabes.

Bruno Berner - second cousin of Sebastien Pelzer

Sergio Peter - in hiding

Keith Treacy - injury prone and a toddler

Martin Olsson - injured and a foetus

if he does alright in training it's a good move. you don't make 70 odd appearances for united if you're completely rubbish and we desperately need midfielders.

Carlos Paredes

fair enough, so at least you see why hughes wants him in?

No mate I can't but like I said I cant for the life of me remember the bloke so thats why.

Like many have said though, can he be any worse than what we have already? We should hopefully be able to pay him peanuts and if it doesn't work out just let him go in the summer (but knowing us we will give him 25k a week and a 5 year deal)

Not good enough for Bolton, means not good enough for us. And please don't make the Nelsen/Charlton comparison, we've all seen enough of Quinton Fortune over the years to know enough about his limitations.

God knows how he wasn't deported 10 years ago - did he ever play 75% of united's game in a season?

Please tell us more....

He is 31 and a Paraguayan International. He is a creative midfielder who played for FC Porto, Reggina in Italy and recently left Sporting Lisbon. He recently signed with Olimpia in Paraguay until this summer when he is a free agent. He is solid and deserves a look much like Nelson

Cuevas.

Archived