BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Race To The Premiership

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TTIAR, i think you are correct. People just go off what the media tells them. Having spent 18years living in Hull, i cannot think of any instances of gun crime etc, then i moved up to Bolton to go to university, then all i hear is armed robberies, murders, gun crime, knife crime, rape etc in their papers everyday. The Hull Daily Mail has nothing like that in it everyday, yet it Bolton its a near everyday occurance. Then again i suppose its only Hull afterall, just make it sound like the Hell of the north.

Hasta, if i am correct and i should be as i were there, didn't Derby fill practically all the lower tier versus us and they were already relegated! I don't think us Blackburn fans are in any position to be doubting the support of other teams fans when we can't even make any noise ourselves or put bums on seats unless its heavily reduced prices or against top opposition and its not a tv game. Considering Hull is a poor income area, those fans will still make the trecks across the country and sell out their allocation for pretty much every away game and home game next season. TTIAR am i correct that the KC is being extended over the summer in the east stand.

ihtd,

I know nothing of Hull and agree that the people slagging it off are talking rubbish. If it's a bigger dump than most of Blackburn I'd be surprised. I also have no doubt that they have a mighty fine local support. However they are not going to fill the Darwen End and infiltrate the home ends. I'm sure they'll bring a large following, especially if it's their opening game or boxing day, but not in the numbers you're saying.

The likes of Leeds and Everton don't do it so I doubt Hull will.

As for the guy who mentioned Windass being the Vieri of the north, Hull have been heavily linked with signing Vieri over the last few weeks and i wouldn't be suprised if Brown made the signing happen. I think it is great that a man from his own city, playing for the club he supports, scored the goal that sent them to the Premiership, I think its about the only bit of magic left in football these days in an era of money and mercenries in the game.

Have you read his book?

My dad has and he said it made it even more better when it was Deano who scored the winner... as in his book, right at the end he says there is a chapter of the book missing that he'd like to write and re-issue his autobiography with later... he said it'd be his dream come true.

He said his dream when at Aberdeen was always to go back to his hometown team of Hull and be the one to score the goal that puts Hull into the Premiership.

...and now he's done just that.

TTIAR am i correct that the KC is being extended over the summer in the east stand.

The foundations are in place as the KC was built ready for Prem footie... Paul Duffen has said he'd talk to the council to get planning permission and he'd fund an upper tier with his own cash. Apparently upping the capacity to approx 32,000.

If the opening game of the season at Ewood is not a night game and against either Stoke or Hull, I'd be surprised if they did not sell out the Darwen End and I'd guess the Baggies would bring about 6,000 with them.

I think a lot of people will be very pleasantly surprised when they go to Hull next season.

ihtd,

I know nothing of Hull and agree that the people slagging it off are talking rubbish. If it's a bigger dump than most of Blackburn I'd be surprised. I also have no doubt that they have a mighty fine local support. However they are not going to fill the Darwen End and infiltrate the home ends. I'm sure they'll bring a large following, especially if it's their opening game or boxing day, but not in the numbers you're saying.

The likes of Leeds and Everton don't do it so I doubt Hull will.

True, I don't think it'd be a sell out of the Darwen End, but I wouldn't be suprised to see something similar to that of the support Newcastle brought to Ewood this season... which was quite a lot.

FFS what is with all the taking the ###### out of Hull on here, yeah its not the worlds best place but us Hull folk are proud to be from there! I think some of you from areas in the North West ought to look at whats on your own doorstep before you go off a perception of a place most of you have never even stepped foot in. I am Rovers through and through but i hope Hull do themselves proud in the Premiership and if that means doing a Derby, which tbh is probably going to happen, then at least they have done their best. What i can say is that the Hull City supporters are a lot better fans than our lot, and that is unfortunate but true. Wait until they come to Ewood and they will pack out the Darwen End and they will probably get a few in our stands too.

As for the guy who mentioned Windass being the Vieri of the north, Hull have been heavily linked with signing Vieri over the last few weeks and i wouldn't be suprised if Brown made the signing happen. I think it is great that a man from his own city, playing for the club he supports, scored the goal that sent them to the Premiership, I think its about the only bit of magic left in football these days in an era of money and mercenries in the game.

It was I.

I was being ironic (that's the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning). You know like saying "...Gordon brown is sooo popular at the moment..." or "Ooh, I bet that Christian Vieri would have a major dilemma choosing between the Renaissance inspired delights of Florence or the civic charms of Hull..."

You're not supposed to take it literally ;)

I know it's not nice to mock the afflicted, but I always suspected our Yorkshire brethren somewhat lacking any sense of humour - and being from an isolated overgrown fishing village like Hull probably exacerbates that phenomenon - but you people really take the biscuit.

If you think Hull are so well supported, bog off and follow them instead, along with the rest of the fickle hordes of weekend Wembley Warriors we saw Saturday, who'll be back at Elland Road five years down the line ;)

Where were you when you were sh*t?

Calm down leftfooter!

If Rovers were playing their first ever game in the Premiership at a ground less than 100 miles from Ewood, we would take 8,000 with us if they gave us the ticket allocation.

And we had crowds of under 5,000 at home less than 30 years ago.

Calm down leftfooter!

If Rovers were playing their first ever game in the Premiership at a ground less than 100 miles from Ewood, we would take 8,000 with us if they gave us the ticket allocation.

And we had crowds of under 5,000 at home less than 30 years ago.

Why should I Phillip?

This is what he said:

"...What i can say is that the Hull City supporters are a lot better fans than our lot, and that is unfortunate but true...."

You are obviously allowing your bias toward your alta mater (Hull Uni – don’t tell me, didn’t quite get enough to go to Bristol, Leeds or Manchester, so Hull it was as either 5th choice or through clearing) cloud your view.

Are you seriously entertaining the assertion that over the last 30 years; Hull City FC has had ‘a lot better supporters’ than we have?

There are plenty clubs from the Championship and below that might fall in to ‘great supporters’ category; Hull isn’t one of ‘em.

I missed the bit about their fans being better than our's and still didn't see it when I quickly looked back.

You disputed whether Hull would fill the Darwen End if Ewood is their first away game and I simply made the point that Hull, Stoke, Rovers and in fact probably any of about 60 clubs would sell 8,000 tickets for their first game in the Premiership at an away ground less than 100 miles from home.

I missed the bit about their fans being better than our's and still didn't see it when I quickly looked back.

You disputed whether Hull would fill the Darwen End if Ewood is their first away game and I simply made the point that Hull, Stoke, Rovers and in fact probably any of about 60 clubs would sell 8,000 tickets for their first game in the Premiership at an away ground less than 100 miles from home.

No I didn't.

FFS what is with all the taking the ###### out of Hull on here, yeah its not the worlds best place but us Hull folk are proud to be from there! I think some of you from areas in the North West ought to look at whats on your own doorstep before you go off a perception of a place most of you have never even stepped foot in. I am Rovers through and through but i hope Hull do themselves proud in the Premiership and if that means doing a Derby, which tbh is probably going to happen, then at least they have done their best. What i can say is that the Hull City supporters are a lot better fans than our lot, and that is unfortunate but true. Wait until they come to Ewood and they will pack out the Darwen End and they will probably get a few in our stands too.

There you go Philip.

Bit of a cheek if you ask me :glare:

Why should I Phillip?

This is what he said:

"...What i can say is that the Hull City supporters are a lot better fans than our lot, and that is unfortunate but true...."

You are obviously allowing your bias toward your alta mater (Hull Uni – don’t tell me, didn’t quite get enough to go to Bristol, Leeds or Manchester, so Hull it was as either 5th choice or through clearing) cloud your view.

Are you seriously entertaining the assertion that over the last 30 years; Hull City FC has had ‘a lot better supporters’ than we have?

There are plenty clubs from the Championship and below that might fall in to ‘great supporters’ category; Hull isn’t one of ‘em.

:lol:

Who is this new kid? I like him.

If you think Hull are so well supported, bog off and follow them instead, along with the rest of the fickle hordes of weekend Wembley Warriors we saw Saturday, who'll be back at Elland Road five years down the line

Where were you when you were sh*t?

So now Leftfooter am i right in you are saying i should basically F### off and support Hull City are you? My family are all from the Blackburn area, i've known nothing other than supporting Blackburn Rovers, but i am also hugely proud of where i where born and the place i were raised, TTIAR is right, Hull people are very proud people and maybe if the rest of the country took half as much pride in where they came from places that are in a rut would be working harder to get out of it, just like Kingston-Upon-Hull is.

I don't support Hull City A.F.C, i support Blackburn Rovers, followed them across Europe, across England and will do for the rest of my life. I am just not keen on people like you slagging off a place you know nothing about. Yeah i hope they do well in the Premiership, thats about it, hopefully if you can somehow be arsed to travel to the KC Staduim when Rovers play there, you might change your mind about the place. I somewhat doubt you will though as you seem set about believing an opinion set about by the media. Yet you would be the first to complain when Rovers are given a bad name in the media e.g. the bully boys tag, which isn't warranted even though anything south of the A666 would believe it. See my point! I doubt you will.

So now Leftfooter am i right in you are saying i should basically F### off and support Hull City are you? My family are all from the Blackburn area, i've known nothing other than supporting Blackburn Rovers, but i am also hugely proud of where i where born and the place i were raised, TTIAR is right, Hull people are very proud people and maybe if the rest of the country took half as much pride in where they came from places that are in a rut would be working harder to get out of it, just like Kingston-Upon-Hull is.

I don't support Hull City A.F.C, i support Blackburn Rovers, followed them across Europe, across England and will do for the rest of my life. I am just not keen on people like you slagging off a place you know nothing about. Yeah i hope they do well in the Premiership, thats about it, hopefully if you can somehow be arsed to travel to the KC Staduim when Rovers play there, you might change your mind about the place. I somewhat doubt you will though as you seem set about believing an opinion set about by the media. Yet you would be the first to complain when Rovers are given a bad name in the media e.g. the bully boys tag, which isn't warranted even though anything south of the A666 would believe it. See my point! I doubt you will.

I don't care where you come from.

Do you still stand by your assertion that Hull City fans are better supporters than Blackburn Rovers'?

I think you're talking nonsense.

I would stand by the fact that Hull City fans are better than ours yeah. Have you ever been to a Hull City game Leftfooter, my money is on no. Having been across Europe with Rovers and then watched Hull play away and many a home game in the Old Division 3 (Now League 2) when i were a youth, i would say that their hardcore fans, not the Wembley Warriors as you called them are a lot better than ours. Your entitled to your opinion but thats all it is, but its based on no facts or experience whatsoever and many a member on here would back me up on that. Sometimes it takes a bit of success to get people supporting a team, don't you think we got a lot of our fans from the success of the 90's and the fact that we've been a Prem side every season but two. Do you still think we'd have 20k + everyweek if we were playing Yeovil or Doncaster in a lower league? I doubt that we would. The hardcore fans would still turn up, but don't you also think that many of the fair weather fans would be supporting Man Utd, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Everton or whoever from the NW who would be in the Premiership. What i am getting at, is that if a bit of success makes someone want to support a team for the rest of their life, whats the problem with these so called "Wembley Warriors" as you put it!!!! We have enough Anfield Warriors of our own!

Now if you want to accuse me of talking nonsense why don't you make the trip to the KC Stadium next season when we play Hull and then if you think the same then, fair enough.

You seem incapable of having a debate Leftfooter, seem to result to insult or jibes to get your point across, like "why don't you bog off and support them" or something along those lines. Your entitled to your opinion about the city etc fair enough, but i wish it wasn't because of what others have told you and the media etc.

I would stand by the fact that Hull City fans are better than ours yeah. Have you ever been to a Hull City game Leftfooter, my money is on no. Having been across Europe with Rovers and then watched Hull play Yeovil away and many a home game in the Old Division 3 (Now League 2) when i were a youth, i would say that there hardcore fans, not the Wembley Warriors as you called them are a lot better than ours. Your entitled to your opinion but thats all it is, but its based on no facts or experience whatsoever and many a member on here would back me up on that.

Now if you want to accuse me of talking nonsense why don't you make the trip to the KC Stadium next season when we play Hull and then if you think the same then, fair enough.

You seem incapable of having a debate Leftfooter, seem to result to insult or jibes to get your point across, like "why don't you bog off and support them" or something along those lines. Your entitled to your opinion about the city etc fair enough, but i wish it wasn't because of what others have told you and the media etc.

I have nothing particularly against or for Hull, despite the fact that most of the natives I’ve attempted to communicate with, when asked where they come from, utter with a one-syllable three lettered ape like grunt, 'ull. This simian like form of communication has the unfortunate corollary of conjuring in my mind P.J O’Rourke’s description of “…a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better …”

Given the choice, however most would prefer them to get promoted to the likes of Watford or Crystal Palace.

Hull however is not a proper football area, nor is it a proper football club.

I would compare it to the likes of Milton Keynes or Reading; whereas once there was indifference or local disdain, suddenly they are gifted a gleaming new stadium, a whiff of success and lo and behold a whole new generation of nouveaux fans appear.

Places like Sunderland and Wolverhampton are no doubt equal if not more degenerative areas. What they have however is respect in the football community for the fact that that these fans are steeped in the tradition of supporting their team, despite aberrational troughs. Also these clubs have a history of achievement, even though those may be fading in to the mists of time.

One could similarly place Blackburn in to this latter category; even Burnley.

Apart from the latter, I wouldn’t expect fans of the above clubs to come on here peddling the civic delights of their respective towns or cities, as they don’t have to. They already have a tradition of following their team and probably don’t have such a huge chip on their collective shoulder, as it appears people from Hull have.

As far as me ever being at a Hull City game? I’ve been watching Rovers since the promotion chasing days from the old Third Division in 1975. I have vivid memories of going on to see the likes of Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday and the like in the seventies and eighties – real football occasions.

And Hull? Like most people from Hull I guess; I can barely remember ever seeing them ;)

I would stand by the fact that Hull City fans are better than ours yeah. Have you ever been to a Hull City game Leftfooter, my money is on no. Having been across Europe with Rovers and then watched Hull play away and many a home game in the Old Division 3 (Now League 2) when i were a youth, i would say that their hardcore fans, not the Wembley Warriors as you called them are a lot better than ours. Your entitled to your opinion but thats all it is, but its based on no facts or experience whatsoever and many a member on here would back me up on that. Sometimes it takes a bit of success to get people supporting a team, don't you think we got a lot of our fans from the success of the 90's and the fact that we've been a Prem side every season but two. Do you still think we'd have 20k + everyweek if we were playing Yeovil or Doncaster in a lower league? I doubt that we would. The hardcore fans would still turn up, but don't you also think that many of the fair weather fans would be supporting Man Utd, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Everton or whoever from the NW who would be in the Premiership. What i am getting at, is that if a bit of success makes someone want to support a team for the rest of their life, whats the problem with these so called "Wembley Warriors" as you put it!!!! We have enough Anfield Warriors of our own!

Re: your reference regarding my lack of facts,

"...A recent survey conducted by FourFourTwo Magazine also shows City's crowds in a less than flattering light. It divides each league club's average gate by the local population. Now undoubtedly there will be some flaws in this system, but City finishing 74th out of 92 is less than impressive..."

http://www.ambernectar.org/articles/hitmyth.shtml

Still stand by your nonsensical assertion?

Just out of interest leftfooter in what way would you say Rovers fans are better than Hulls?

I know not too much about Hulls support other than they probably have a largish catchment area to draw support from. I do know that the numbers of our support is quite good at home and generally poor away.

I'm still standing by it Leftfooter! Their fans are more passionate and vocal than ours making for a better atmosphere to watch football in, thats what i am getting at. I could have already told you Hull City were averaging something like the 15th out 22 teams in terms of gates in the Championship, heck Leeds and Notts Forrest were getting bigger average gates in League One. But i will tell you, Hull will take a lot of fans to away game and sell out the majority of their allocations for all their away days.

Just wondering, you said Hull is not a proper football club. What makes a proper football club then, because last time i remember i could have sworn that Hull were a member of the Football Association and now play in the Premier League, doesn't that make them a proper football club, or do they have to be based in a big well respected place deep in tradition and history in the game to be a proper football club. What next you'll be telling me Hull isn't a proper city...ooh wait a second it actually isn't so you cannot use that one ^_^

I will agree with you on one thing though, i hate it when Hull folk say that they are from 'ull and not Hull. It makes us all look as poorly educated and lazy as some of them are.

Leftfooter, ever heard of quality over quantity? Hull might average less fans but it doesn't make them worse fans does it? I'd love to be able to say us Rovers fans are better, but in terms of atmosphere inside a ground generated by us fans, we are not. I'm sure TTIAR would agree with me when i say Hull aren't that good at it either, but they damn sure make a better atmosphere than we do.

FFS what is with all the taking the ###### out of Hull on here, yeah its not the worlds best place but us Hull folk are proud to be from there!

ihtd don't take it too personally. Those, especially leftfooter, deriding Hull and its inhabitants, are saying more about themselves and their own petty prejudices and preconceptions than they are about your city. No, I've never been there, though I may be tempted sometime in the next season, in fact the more our own locals decry Hull the more likely I am to go and see for myself. A few posting on this subject could do with looking at themselves.

I went to Hull for the very first time in Feb 1976 to watch Rovers as a birthday treat with gramps and my dad. Rovers won 1-09 with a Graham Oates goal.

I remember the scummy little ground with a paltry little crowd (I have checked the records and it was around 6k).

Since then I have been to Hull 7 times to watch Rovers play and whilst still serving in the RN on two occasions in early 1990. I last went to Hull whilst working last year for 10 days or so. Very little apart from the marina had changed. Its still the hovel it was back in the 70's.

Now then, since my first ever visit I have got to know some great people who are Rovers supporters. Over 35yrs of following Rovers I still speak to those same people and more. I am sure that Hull will have the same type/quality supporters in their ranks.

Hulls average doesnt compare with ours. Hulls ground doesnt compare with ours. Hulls history doesnt compare with ours.

Please my friend stop comparing the clubs as their is NO comparisons to be made.

As for the status of the areas. Hull is a city with a population outnumbering Blackburn and Darwen considerably. They have their problems we have ours.

End it now and get on with your summer. :rolleyes:

Archived