BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Race To The Premiership

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of interest, anyone know why the Play-off Finals are reversed this year?

Going 4, 3, 2 really built up the excitement and increased the attention paid on the lower levels.

I heard (admittedly think it was Chris Kamara who said it, so it's probably drivel) it was something to do with Euro 2008. The idea being that there might be some Championship players going, so they'd get a few days extra rest.

Mind you it's worked out well for me as I'm off to watch Rochdale but wouldn't have been able to if it had been on Saturday!

I would have thought that TV audience would be the motivator. Marketing the 'richest match on the planet' must be easier on Sat than on a Monday.

Only saw the last 15 mins and the pattern of the match at that time would be already set of course, but from what I did see Bristol looked to have more 'football' in em than Hull. Either way they along with the other two promoted teams will be massive favourites for the drop. Target No1 for em all next season is to get 1 more point than Derby. :rolleyes:

In the last 15 minutes, Bristol were chasing the equaliser.

Overall, Hull were the better team by some distance and have a few players with Premier League touches. The crunch difference was upfront where Bristol's Adebola and Trundle are a long way short of the quality needed even for a play-off Final, never mind an EPL season.

The challenge for Hull is above all to get RFW to change his mind about not selling Campbell who looks like a decent forward at EPL level but extremely unlikely to cause Rooney and Tevez any worries about their places. Then they have to replace Barmby and Windass who were not quite good enough ten years ago, never mind now they are in their late 30s. Then they need half a dozen EPL-standard squad players to give the squad the resilience needed for 38 games at the top level.

Put that together and they will have a shout of finishing 17th. Otherwise it will be a predictable early return.

It's a narrower list for relegation.

Wigan will accompany two out of the three promoted teams unless Bolton or Fulham have a stinker.

We've ended up in the dreaded 7th by the way- traditional "launch pad" for a relegation campaign the following season.

It's a narrower list for relegation.

Wigan will accompany two out of the three promoted teams unless Bolton or Fulham have a stinker.

We've ended up in the dreaded 7th by the way- traditional "launch pad" for a relegation campaign the following season.

We've not the distraction of European football though this year.

There also has to be big potential for a bristol team if they get into the Prem. Fair enough it is a rugby city but really the potential is enormous. Nearest decent team is probably in the Cardiff, so a huge local population in the SW of England to tap into.

Both City and Rover have been in the top tier before decades ago (I think) but with the added galmour and coverage that Premier League now has Bristol City

might be able to bring in bigger crowds. If they do come up it will be more than likely just to go back down again, but Bristol is the only major city in the England without a serious football market.

Hull has a a big enough potential with 950,000 people nearby. Hull & the rest of East Yorkshire equals near to that amount. nearest clubs are Middlesboro, Leeds & southwards for a big-ish team is probably Sheff Utd... so not a lot of competition for fans.

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_page...;_schema=PORTAL

"...In the 2001 census, Hull’s population was recorded as 253,400...Hull has experienced a sustained population decline over the over the last few decades. Between 1991 and 2001 the population fell by 5.3 per cent, mainly through people leaving the city..."

Very sharp those local government pundits in Hull... :rolleyes:

Only leaving to the outskirts though... which of arn't classed as in the council boundaries... but classed as part of the city in people's eyes. Hedon, Cottingham, Hessle, Anlaby e.t.c.

Just out of interest, anyone know why the Play-off Finals are reversed this year?

Going 4, 3, 2 really built up the excitement and increased the attention paid on the lower levels.

Its actually because of the pitch, it not great come Monday so they let the Championship have the first final

Its actually because of the pitch, it not great come Monday so they let the Championship have the first final

No it isn't. It is due to Euro 2008, the order was reversed in 2004 as well. It is because a lot of Championship teams potentially have players involved in the tournament so switching the final around with the League 2 final gave them an extra 48 hours...

Trust me Hull in particular is far bigger ****hole. Newcastle under Lyme, Trentham, Keele, Madeley are very nice places

Just as; Hedon, Preston, Kirk Ella, Cottingham, Anlaby, Hessle are too...

Yes, Hull has council estates & it's run-down, bad areas... so does every city!

It also has very nice places throughout the city... like the Georgian quarter along Albion street, The Maltings & Hull New Theatre... the old town, full of it's Ye olde pubs, following the "real ale trail" through pubs that have been standing since the 1300's! that are really nice buildings... I suggest if you go to Hull Vs Rovers to go have a walk around Hull marina... any city in the UK would kill for such an asset along with the new business quarter alongside the marina, with the new World Trade Centre @ Humber Quays 1 & 2... then there is Princes Avenue (described by The Times as "The Notting Hill of Hull") which isn't far from the KC stadium... I'd suggest you go for a wander down therre and have a drink... a mass cosmopolitan area with masses of bars, pubs & restaurants all with outside seating... on a hot day, you'd easily mistake it for a scene from a street somewhere you've been on holiday abroad. The KC stadium itself is the only stadium set in a parkland setting... mixed with the regeneration thats going on in the city, when Hull and Rovers play, if you open your eyes and have a look around... a LOT of people are going to be very suprised!

...most people usually are.

Don't listen to that nonsense "Location,Location,Location"!

...like you said "Hull" hase been voted in the top 2 worst places to live in the past 3 years.

I find their "facts" and "stats" very hard to back up... how can a City be "worst place to live" then a year later, not even be in the top 20!

...then the year later, go soo drastically downhill that it's back in at second worst place to live?

...it's utter b*ll*cks.

The Duchess of York spent a couple of months living on one of the worst areas of Hull (Preston Rd) and she had nothing but good words to say about the city and it's people.

Hull is a bit of an "in joke" in the media... simply because they can't get away with doing it about London, Manchester or Liverpool... with the character of the people of Hull though, they can. ...as people from Hull just laugh it off. But now it's beyond a joke and people are starting to stand up and say "enough is enough" ...I wouldn't be suprised to see out the council's promise of a "top 10 best city" within 10 years or so once "The Boom", "Quay West", "Trinity Quays", "Freedom Quays" & the "Fruit Market" are complete.

QUOTE(leftfooter @ May 24 2008, 13:46 )

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_page...;_schema=PORTAL

"...In the 2001 census, Hull’s population was recorded as 253,400...Hull has experienced a sustained population decline over the over the last few decades. Between 1991 and 2001 the population fell by 5.3 per cent, mainly through people leaving the city..."

Very sharp those local government pundits in Hull...

Only leaving to the outskirts though... which of arn't classed as in the council boundaries... but classed as part of the city in people's eyes. Hedon, Cottingham, Hessle, Anlaby e.t.c.

You're slightly missing the point.

It's such a classic no brainer that it's a classic illustration of the facts being so self evident that they speak for themselves...and you're still trying to explain it :rolleyes:

You're so funny :lol:

Hull has a a big enough potential with 950,000 people nearby. Hull & the rest of East Yorkshire equals near to that amount. nearest clubs are Middlesboro, Leeds & southwards for a big-ish team is probably Sheff Utd... so not a lot of competition for fans.

According to this 'logic' Leeds should draw bigger support than say Liverpool and Everton - just because it's a bigger city and contains only one football club. The facts prove that in real life it doesn't work like that. It's the people that make a city, not idle statistics.

If Humberside/East Yorkshire was the hotbed of football that you are deluding yourself that it is; then why has it taken it a century to produce a top flight team that as presently constituted will really push Derby for the record of worst ever Premier League club?...now Derby that is a real footballing city with proper fans (and only a few miles from Nottingham too ;)

Just as; Hedon, Preston, Kirk Ella, Cottingham, Anlaby, Hessle are too...

Yes, Hull has council estates & it's run-down, bad areas... so does every city!

It also has very nice places throughout the city... like the Georgian quarter along Albion street, The Maltings & Hull New Theatre... the old town, full of it's Ye olde pubs, following the "real ale trail" through pubs that have been standing since the 1300's! that are really nice buildings... I suggest if you go to Hull Vs Rovers to go have a walk around Hull marina... any city in the UK would kill for such an asset along with the new business quarter alongside the marina, with the new World Trade Centre @ Humber Quays 1 & 2... then there is Princes Avenue (described by The Times as "The Notting Hill of Hull") which isn't far from the KC stadium... I'd suggest you go for a wander down therre and have a drink... a mass cosmopolitan area with masses of bars, pubs & restaurants all with outside seating... on a hot day, you'd easily mistake it for a scene from a street somewhere you've been on holiday abroad. The KC stadium itself is the only stadium set in a parkland setting... mixed with the regeneration thats going on in the city, when Hull and Rovers play, if you open your eyes and have a look around... a LOT of people are going to be very suprised!

...most people usually are.

Don't listen to that nonsense "Location,Location,Location"!

...like you said "Hull" hase been voted in the top 2 worst places to live in the past 3 years.

I find their "facts" and "stats" very hard to back up... how can a City be "worst place to live" then a year later, not even be in the top 20!

...then the year later, go soo drastically downhill that it's back in at second worst place to live?

...it's utter b*ll*cks.

The Duchess of York spent a couple of months living on one of the worst areas of Hull (Preston Rd) and she had nothing but good words to say about the city and it's people.

Hull is a bit of an "in joke" in the media... simply because they can't get away with doing it about London, Manchester or Liverpool... with the character of the people of Hull though, they can. ...as people from Hull just laugh it off. But now it's beyond a joke and people are starting to stand up and say "enough is enough" ...I wouldn't be suprised to see out the council's promise of a "top 10 best city" within 10 years or so once "The Boom", "Quay West", "Trinity Quays", "Freedom Quays" & the "Fruit Market" are complete.

Do you work for the Hull tourist office? (an oxymoron if ever there was one)

"...The Duchess of York spent a couple of months living on one of the worst areas of Hull (Preston Rd) and she had nothing but good words to say about the city and it's people..."

Now an old slapper like that would feel at home there after all ;)

"...But now it's beyond a joke and people are starting to stand up and say "enough is enough" ..."

Sounds like the Levellers are on the march; get out ye old pitch forks.

You know, I almost feel sorry for you :rolleyes:

If I read write, the message you are giving out is something akin to this......

BURNLEY is a throbbing metropolis of modern day buildings filled with forward thinking people :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lets be real about it.

Burnley is a hovel

Hull is a hovel

Bristol is slightly better than the above 2

Every town/city has its issues with townships and slums.

Football wise, a visit to Hull with be good for us Rovers fans as its another new ground, its a far better stadium than Boothferry Park every was and I am sure that the chippy nearby is going to be a lot more healthier than the one that used to be adjacent to the away end at their previous home :rolleyes:

BURNLEY is a throbbing metropolis of modern day buildings filled with forward thinking people :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lets be real about it.

Burnley is a hovel

Hull is a hovel

Football wise, a visit to Hull with be good for us Rovers fans as its another new ground, its a far better stadium than Boothferry Park every was and I am sure that the chippy nearby is going to be a lot more healthier than the one that used to be adjacent to the away end at their previous home :rolleyes:

Might be a tricky away fixture for us...what with the twin threat of the rapier like Nick Barmby and the regal Dean Windass gracing the hallowed Hull turf (known locally as the Christian Vieri of the north). Not to mention the cat like instincts of Boaz Myhill between the sticks :lol:

Still, we might get the chance to visit THE World Trade Centre; Daniel Libeskind; eat yer heart out :rolleyes:

According to this 'logic' Leeds should draw bigger support than say Liverpool and Everton - just because it's a bigger city and contains only one football club. The facts prove that in real life it doesn't work like that. It's the people that make a city, not idle statistics.

If Humberside/East Yorkshire was the hotbed of football that you are deluding yourself that it is; then why has it taken it a century to produce a top flight team that as presently constituted will really push Derby for the record of worst ever Premier League club?...now Derby that is a real footballing city with proper fans (and only a few miles from Nottingham too ;)

A lot of the people that go to the football are from outside of the city, at least 1/3 are.

"If Humberside/East Yorkshire was the hotbed of football that you are deluding yourself that it is; then why has it taken it a century to produce a top flight team?"

The team nearly made it to the old Div 1 a couple of time in it's history. The main reason I'd say is because Leeds were always seen by people as a lot bigger team especially their bigger era's in the 60s (?) then the second major reason from the past 20 years or so...

MONEY! the club was VERY close to being extinct, and because of it, went right down to the old division 3 (when the Prem started ?) not many people get interested in a Div 3 team when there was Leeds the nearest team away doing well in the Prem, so most either supported them or Man Utd or Liverpool during the 90s... now the clubs fortunes have turned around and the club is on the up and it's shown with all the support it's now gaining. I think the club does well with attendances considering it shares the city with 2 Super League teams.

It's a hotbed of Rugby League.

Sounds like the Levellers are on the march; get out ye old pitch forks.

You know, I almost feel sorry for you :rolleyes:

...so when was the last time you visited the city?

most people just go by the drivel which the media write about the city and have a view on it without ever being to the city itself.

No I don't work for the HullForward/Citybuild, but I did a project on showing that there is a media bias against the city... and most at uni said; A) they had a bad persception of Hull & B) that they'd also never been there!

turned out one of my tutors had gone to uni in Hull and he said it was the best time of his live.

The only thing Hull is a hot bed is for young ladies who have no morals when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex !!

if your a virgin, after a night out in Hull you wont be any longer and it will only cost you a half of bitter :rolleyes: ALLEGEDLY :rolleyes:

FFS what is with all the taking the ###### out of Hull on here, yeah its not the worlds best place but us Hull folk are proud to be from there! I think some of you from areas in the North West ought to look at whats on your own doorstep before you go off a perception of a place most of you have never even stepped foot in. I am Rovers through and through but i hope Hull do themselves proud in the Premiership and if that means doing a Derby, which tbh is probably going to happen, then at least they have done their best. What i can say is that the Hull City supporters are a lot better fans than our lot, and that is unfortunate but true. Wait until they come to Ewood and they will pack out the Darwen End and they will probably get a few in our stands too.

As for the guy who mentioned Windass being the Vieri of the north, Hull have been heavily linked with signing Vieri over the last few weeks and i wouldn't be suprised if Brown made the signing happen. I think it is great that a man from his own city, playing for the club he supports, scored the goal that sent them to the Premiership, I think its about the only bit of magic left in football these days in an era of money and mercenries in the game.

Lets be real about it.

Burnley is a hovel

Hull is a hovel

NOPE. I went to Bumley earlier in the year... now that IS a dump... Hull has changed a hell of a lot since the days of old 'fer 'ark... just as the football team has.

FFS what is with all the taking the ###### out of Hull on here, yeah its not the worlds best place but some of us quite proud to be from there!

Thats one of the biggest things the city has... local pride. there's soo much of that at the moment too. I thought it was funny seeing a little old lady putting a "C'mon the Tigers!" banner she'd made herself, up in the front window of Help the Aged :lol:

...as for all the ###### taking, it's because most either have the media's persception in their minds or one from the last time they went to Boothferry Park.

Archived