BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Do You Say(shout) ?

I thought how do you say"Yattaaaa!" in your language when I 've seen "HEROS"

I think It's "I did it" probably the literal translation of a English term. but "Yattaaa!" is more emotional word.... not a word ... neary "shout" or "emit a cry" types word... like "Woo-Hoo!" "Oh Yeah!" type.

It's not "Onomatopoeia" but I think close.

(Lot's of sound-words in Japan. It's easy to see If you see Japanese comics-Manga)

How do you say "Yattaaaa!" in your word/language?

sample of Onomatopoeia

[ Dogs' barks ]

Japanese・・・wan-wan

English・・・bow-wow, bark-bark, woof-woof, arf-arf

Chinese・・・wang-wang

・・・wau-wau

・・・ouaf

・・・guau-guau

・・・baruw-baruw

・・・bau-bau

・・・baggo-baggo

・・・hau-hau

・・・gaf-gaf

・・・mon-mon

・・・bhu-bhu

・・・wob-wob

・・・gon-gon

・・・ang-ang

・・・hav-hav

・・・hao-hao

・・・baw-gaw

Onomatopoeia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia

Japanese sound symbolism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_sound_symbolism

Lovely subject and endlessly fascinating.

Generally speaking, western languages are less descriptive in the sound pictures they conjure than their eastern counterparts. I love tuk-tuk for a motorised rickshaw for instance.

Two words in English which are onomatapeoic are cuckoo (the sound of the cuckoo) and ululate- the sound that owls make but also the term for the back of the throat tongue wagging sound common in African and Middle East cultures particularly made by women.

These sorts of words are of course common in children's talk- cock a doodle doo for the sound of a cock crowing - particularly apt for me as my office is next door to one of Malta's very few free range hen farms. It is amazing how all kinds of noises in the office are not carried by the phone but the moment the cock crows 50 meters away, my interlocuter asks me if I am calling from a hencoop! It is already warm enough to be working with doors and windows open especially to get the scent of orange blossom wafting through the offices.

Generally speaking, writers and poets brilliantly use the sound of language to conjure up images. AA Milne's stories leap to life when reading names like Winnie the Pooh, Eeyor and Tigger out loud.

Shakespeare of course was the unsurpassed genius of creating word pictures and word music.

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:

The use of mono-syllabic words requiring rapid change of mouth shape increasing the percussiveness to suggest a sudden bitter wind in May. And where would Catherine Zeta-Jones be now....?

Dylan Thomas amongst modern poets was brilliant in using the rhythm of the spoken of word to create pictures in "Under Milk Wood" and unbelievably captures the utter futility of the living in the face of the imminent death of a loved one in "Do not go gentle into that good night but rage rage against the failing of the light".

Back to poems which can be appreciated by all ages and a writer of beautiful evocative and simple yet enormously sophisticated poetry:

John Masefield- Sea Fever:

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

We could do with some laughing fellow-rovers on brfcs.com

And my Masefield favourite Cargoes-

Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir,

Rowing home to haven in sunny Palestine,

With a cargo of ivory,

And apes and peacocks,

Sandalwood, cedarwood, and sweet white wine.

Stately Spanish galleon coming from the Isthmus,

Dipping through the Tropics by the palm-green shores,

With a cargo of diamonds,

Emeralds, amythysts,

Topazes, and cinnamon, and gold moidores.

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,

Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,

With a cargo of Tyne coal,

Road-rails, pig-lead,

Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

You can hear the chug chug and clackety-clack (more onomatapoeic words) of British coaster and rattling of its cargo and slapping of the waves (two onomatapeoic verbs) in the final verse whilst the stately serene passage of quinquirene (five hundred oarsmen) and the majesty of the galleon can be heard in the words and tempi of the preceding verses.

Finally a verse which opens up the whole row about the use of halucogenic substances and the contribution of altered states of consciousness to human heritage:

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

A stately pleasure-dome decree:

Where Alph, the sacred river, ran

Through caverns measureless to man

Down to a sunless sea.

Samuel Coleridge Taylor.

I find it is impossible to read these verses without conjuring an immediate mindscape of scenes and atmospheres through the sound and meter of the words as much as their actual content.

Philip, thaks for wonderful post. I think you thought too much slightly deeply.

The words need some training for use.

However, the words are important.

(That's the reason I dislike face-marks, especially " :angry: ". I think every time see it "so what? here is not the dump site of your feelings." I think that's the most ugly face-mark. I hate to see.... anyway )

I just want know "the Words" were connected directly with your feelings... I guess these are not "right words" mentioned in a dictionary ... but the wards living in your life.

I often read (and heard) "F words"...

and "######" "Crap" types wards are not emortional words. these are "Things (noun)" mean like an ugly .dirty... something nasty things.

I think every time see it "so what? here is not the dump site of your feelings." I think that's the most ugly face-mark. I hate to see.... anyway )

I don't think there's a member of this board dillo, English mother tongue or otherwise, that could've put that better.

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

I left my vest and socks there, I wonder if they're dry ?

God bless you Spike.

Which reminds me ...

"As shepherds washed their socks at night

All seated round a tub

The angel of the Lord came down and gave them all a scrub ...."

Schooldays eh .... :xmas:

Thank you for that post, Philipl. I love those verses too.

Dillo, I hate the word 'crap' as well. And as for the 'f' word, it is very unnecessary and some people use it to describe everything, very sad. I always try to be mindful of others' feelings and I don't like the thought of - for example - a player being described as 'crap' in a game when 'he didn't play well' doesn't sound so unkind and nasty.

I do quite like the 'smileys'- (your face-marks) though, I imagine someone sitting there with a cross/happy/puzzled expression on their face as they write their post.

I think It's "I did it" probably the literal translation of a English term. but "Yattaaa!" is more emotional word.... not a word ... neary "shout" or "emit a cry" types word... like "Woo-Hoo!" "Oh Yeah!" type.

Dillo,

I think that most of us would say "Yes"!" If we finished a crossword puzzle, scored a brilliant goal playing football, finished decorating a room or completed an important piece of work.

I don't think we have a word that describes the emotion or feeling for that. Don't forget though that English, although it has many words, still borrows other words from other languages.

The obvious one is "Schadenfreude" from German which means "the enjoyment of troubles of others." Like we get when Burnley lose.

Maybe one day we will start to use "Yattaa!"

Thanks All. especially Philipl,Adopted scouser,Blue phil and Bryan.

I enjoyed to read your schooldays memories. (how can I say about that? Schooldaye memory, right?)

I didn't know that we've done something similar... when I was in Jr.High, learned old poems (Hiku), those are really old , around 1200 years ago! it was very hard to learn a poem by heart. ... but now, I really thanks to that.

These are good spice/supplement for my sensibility.

>T4E

fordet about what I said. ... I pass to read that posts ! ;-) Everyone is different....

>Colin

"Schadenfreude" I didn't know that! interesting story! thanks!

Interestingly, I think the closest thing to "yatta!" in Norwegian would be the word (not sound) "jada".

"Ja" in Norwegian means "yes" and the word "jada" might be translated as "sure"/"yes, sure" or used as a response when annoyed, something like "yes, yes" or "yes, alright already". But in excitement, it may be shouted out in response to something good or positive happening.

Alternatively, one might just shout out "ja!", meaning "yes!" or "yeah!".

Interestingly, I think the closest thing to "yatta!" in Norwegian would be the word (not sound) "jada".

How does it pronounce? "ja" is same pronounce in English "Jamaica" "Japan" [dзэ] ?

I think you know well about echo-word/onomatopoeia types words. a lots of that words in comics! right?

How does it pronounce? "ja" is same pronounce in English "Jamaica" "Japan" [dзэ] ?

I think you know well about echo-word/onomatopoeia types words. a lots of that words in comics! right?

I would say that it is pronounced more as a Y in English, as philip suggested.

Actually, I think that "ja" sounds about the same as "ya" in "yatta".

It's interesting to note that the pronunciation of the vowels in Japanese (A - I - U - E - O) are somewhat similar to Norwegian pronunciation, although it's not exactly the same. I'm trying to teach myself Japanese, and when I started, I thought it would be very different!

And yes, you're right that there are lots of onomatopeia type words in comics, so I'm quite familiar with them!

Hah! He would have done wouldn't he...

Yes I suppose that is pretty strong language. "Faen" is the equivalent to "f***" pretty much, although it isn't as diverse in it's use or doesn't mean exactly the same as "f***" does in English. "Faen i helvete" is putting it to the point that the situation is, shall we say, most displeasing. So perhaps a little stronger. The Norwegian word for "c***", which I shall not repeat here, is also considered quite strong and unappealing language but it is quite common nowadays.

The Bergen accent, specially the street level accent, if we can call it that (and if you know what I mean by that), can be quite colourful shall we say. So I'm not surprised Bjarte taught you those two phrases!

But this varies a lot. Northern parts of Norway are almost renowned for their ability to swear - it is almost poetic. Culturally, it's just the way they use the language and infact, there have been cases where people from the north have been charged with calling police officers by names or words that would be considered highly unflattering while being in more southerly areas. In these cases, they have mostly been let off because the words, while still being considered foul language, would not be as foul in north as in the south.

I'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick, but would 'eureka' be the English equivalent?

A general cry for success is 'Yes!' (usually accompanied by an arm piston motion especially if your team has just scored on Footy Manager...)

Northern parts of Norway are almost renowned for their ability to swear - it is almost poetic.

Very interesting! (North part of Norway... like Gamsten?)

'eureka'

I think It has beautiful sounds. i thought "Eureka" is Greek? (Who did have a eureka moment in a bath? Archimedes?)

By the way Dillo, I have heard some people say that in HEROES, that Ando's Japanese isn't very good, that he has a thick accent. Is this the case do you think? As far as I know, the actor playing Ando is originally Korean.

Yes, Ando-Kun speaking slight strange Japanese.(non-native Japanese intonation). sometimes I couldn't catch what did he speaking (in Japanese!). Also Hiro. He is not so good ('course not bad). especially Hiro speaks fast !

Archived