BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your Best Rovers 11

It does come up a lot but it is always interestning becuase new players come through. For me:

---------Shearer---Bellamy

Duff-------Tugay----Sherwood----Bentley

Le Saux----Hendry--Nelsen---Niell

-------------------Freidel

Subs: Flowers, Berg, Batty, Sutton, Cruz

Only 4 of the PL winning side in the starting XI... I think that may be indicative of just how much the standard of Prem football has increased over the years. Players like Sherwood were outstanding for us in 1995 but in todays game?

Imagine if Tugay had arrived at Ewood five years earlier. He would have been considered one of the Prems all time greats. No one would have touched him the league interms of talent except possibly Cantona and a couple others. The post Bergkamp era is a different kettle of fish.

Very very tough one.

I have almost the exact same lineup as Joey, except that i would replace neill with berg (ok i know he played the vast majority for us at centreback but he has played at right back so it counts! :P). neill doesnt get a spot on my bench too, because I have to find someway to sneak matty in. hence i'll consider sutton as a makeshift centreback, and insert jansen in there. was really torn between putting jansen or bellers in the starting line up though.

Nelsen over Berg is a big bad shout.

You should carry a warning sir!

Nelsen had a bad period when he was playing for us while injured but apart from that he has been utterly outstanding for Rovers. Berg was excellent also, but I would say it is a tight call.

PlasticHead- how can you not have Tugay in the side. Or even on the bench?!?

Nelsen had a bad period when he was playing for us while injured but apart from that he has been utterly outstanding for Rovers. Berg was excellent also, but I would say it is a tight call.

PlasticHead- how can you not have Tugay in the side. Or even on the bench?!?

Sherwood and Warhust played in a team that won the league remember.....

Tuggs was a great player but needed someone to do the leg work for him.

Santa Cruz will be in that bunch if he has another year like this. Bentley getting close too but Stuart Ripley would take some dislodging on the right.

friedel

neill

hendry

amoruso.....only kidding, berg

le saux

bentley/bohinen

tugay

batty/sherwood

duff

shearer

jansen/bellamy

there's a few positions in there which i just couldnt decide upon.

This is really difficult I think - we've had some great players over the years.

Friedel

Berg

Hendry

Nelsen

Le Saux

Ripley

Tugay

Sherwood

Duff

Shearer

Bellamy

SUBS:

Flowers

Sutton

Bohinen

Jansen

Santa Cruz

(I'm using Suttons versatility on the bench - we seem to have had more quality strikers than I thought - Cole just missing out)

still discussing this with my mate even now :lol:

anyway....i think tim flowers was very very good for us, but brad gets the nod because he has performed for rovers over a longer period of time than tim flowers.

defensively i think henning has been our best right back for many years, with colin hendry and henchoz in the middle and le saux on the other side of them.

for me, stuart ripley was and is better than bents, at this stage, although bents has time on his side. tuges and sherwood in the middle with the duffer wide left.

i think shearer has to be in there simply because he was and is a rovers legend...and his strike partner is roque santa cruz.

BRAD

BERG HENDRY HENCHOZ LE SAUX

RIPLEY TUGES SHERWOOD DUFFER

SHEARER ROQUE

SUBS: FLOWERS BATTY BELLAMY SUTTON WARHURST

cant see past just naming the champions squad....top 3 finishes and champions.No matter what arguments for brad,tugs etc they are not champions of england and winners and champions push this team past the post .As much as i apreciete what hughes is doing we got the BEST players in the land and if you compare anything weve done since we HAD a bloody good team and like i said as much as hughsie is doing you cant see anyone(enks before anyone says this) from the squad today palying in the charity shield for blackburn rovers.

Friedel

Neill Nelsen/Berg Hendry Le saux

Bentley/ripley Tugay sherwood Duff/ Pedersen (when in very good form)

Cruz Shearer

Subs: Flowers , crompton, sutton, Jansen (when in good form), Batty :rover:

cant see past just naming the champions squad....top 3 finishes and champions.No matter what arguments for brad,tugs etc they are not champions of england and winners and champions push this team past the post .As much as i apreciete what hughes is doing we got the BEST players in the land and if you compare anything weve done since we HAD a bloody good team and like i said as much as hughsie is doing you cant see anyone(enks before anyone says this) from the squad today palying in the charity shield for blackburn rovers.

I see where your coming from. But I guess the quality of players in the last ten years or so in the Premiership has increased dramatically. The champions of '95 (or indeed the Man Utd side of '94) were a brilliant team but it's hard to feel that they would do so well in the league today.

Maybe thats modern bias though.

My first 11

Brad

Neill

Berg

Hendry

Le Saux

Bentley

Sherwood

Tugay

Duff

Shearer

Santa Cruz

Subs (based on next seasons 7 on the bench!!)

Flowers, Moran, Sutton, Ripley, Newell, Jansen and Bellamy.

My other favourites

Dunn, Batty, Kevin Gallacher, Pederson, Short, Warnock, Wegerle

Archived