BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Films Of The Last Two Decades

I somehow forgot The Lord of the Rings which was undoubtedly the most spectacular, awe-inspiring thing I've ever seen on a cinema screen. Any one of them can rightfully be classed as the pinnacle of fantasy film making. In my opinion, the first one is the best. Incredible stuff.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, this is now let's rate BAzzas movie collection.

Mine In Alphabetical order

Aliens - EXCELLENT

American Gangster - OK BUT A LET DOWN AFTER THE HYPE

American History X - NOT SEEN

Blood Diamond - NOT SEEN

Crash - FOUND IT TRIED TOO HARD TO DRUM HOME THE 'STEREOTYPE' ISSUE BUT GOOD

Fight Club - OK

Full Metal Jacket - GOOD FIRST HOUR !

Gladiator - OK

Heat - OK

Kill Bill: 1 - GOOD

LaVita è bella, - EMBARRASSINGLY IVE NEVER HEARD OF IT

No Country for Old Men - NOT SEEN BUT GOT IT NOW

Platoon - OK

Saving Private Ryan - GOOD

Schindler's List - EXCELLENT

The Departed - EXCELLENT

The Lord of the Rings: (Trilogy) - HATE THEM ALL - LONG WINDED

The Matrix (Trilogy) - NOOOOOOO

The Shawshank Redemption - GOOD - BIT SLOW

The Usual Suspects - GOOD

There Will Be Blood - NOT SEEN

I hate the film simply for the fact that it spawned those sequels.

Yeah the sequels were bad...really bad, i just look at it as a stand alone film and wipe the other 2 from my memory.

And as for Comic Book adaptations go, For me The Crow is head and shoulders above every other.

Mine In Alphabetical order

Aliens - Excellent

American Gangster - Not seen

American History X - Edward Norton at his best

Blood Diamond - Depressing, but would add it to the important list - great film

Crash - Been done better (see Magnolia before the frogs)

Fight Club - Overrated

Full Metal Jacket - First half was excellent, a classic, lost me once they left Paris Island

Gladiator - Just re-watched last month - really was quality

Heat - Too long, but the big shootout was in the street in front of where I used to work

Kill Bill: 1 - Classic

LaVita è bella, - Not seen

No Country for Old Men - Excellent film

Platoon - Classic and important for the Vietnam War

Saving Private Ryan - One of the best war movies made

Schindler's List - Important because of the subject matter

The Departed - Does a great job of telling about Boston

The Lord of the Rings: (Trilogy) - Booorrrriiiiinnnnnggggg, but visually stunning.

The Matrix (Trilogy) - First one was great

The Shawshank Redemption - Not seen

The Usual Suspects - One of my alltime favorites, but not on the important list

There Will Be Blood - Didn't think they built the rivalry up well enough - VERY disappointed

It is about the most important films of the last two decades.

I am doing a comparison to what films people see as "important" and which ones people label "The Best".

OK you're the student ;) can you explain to me what you mean by "important." There are some interesting lists here and some very good films but on the other hand someone mentioned Highlander - hardly good or important! Are we talking important in a cultural sense, the work's impact on society etc or do you mean technically important for being a step forward in film production, e.g Toy Story?

I'm just interested as I don't see these films, or any film as "important" just a good way of passing a couple of hours.

Yeah the sequels were bad...really bad, i just look at it as a stand alone film and wipe the other 2 from my memory.

And as for Comic Book adaptations go, For me The Crow is head and shoulders above every other.

Get out of here, whilst 1 was superb sci-fi the others were essentially a homage to earlier monster movies, it certainly doesn't take itself seriously and neither should we.

The Crow was awesome (barring the generation of faux goths it spawned) but you may also want to look at A History of Violence and Ghost World for comic book adaptations

As far as Comic Book characters, Batman Begins and X2 have to be up there

and **** Spiderman, all three were utter crap and dissapointments

Highlander is great. 'Ya no ya luv eet blaasam'.

bonjour, j'aim appelle Connor McCloud, ooh la la jimmy

and other french stereotypical noises.

I would love to see the casting meeting for that film

"So we're doing this fantasy adventure with a scotish clansman who can live for ever and goes around trying to fulfill his destiny, and his guided on his way by a middle eastern chap who has lived in spain and japan for centuries? And we have Sean Connery, the worlds most famous scotsman on board? And some french canadian with a stupid accent and massive forehead?"

"Yup, Lambert for the lead role I think"

:blink:

which just adds to the films greatness.

My favourite film is probably Starship Troopers, but it's not the most important in any shape or form, its just bloody good fun

I'm just interested as I don't see these films, or any film as "important" just a good way of passing a couple of hours.

Cultural sense and thought provoking, movies that make an impact not necessary entertain. I have seen movies that I hated but I would judge as important as they stand for something. We have to remember that it is an art, so much goes into major pictures and they can have a huge subliminal cultural impact on shifting thoughts and to a degree preaching on the screen.

To me most important (due to my past) I would have to say 'Apocalypse Now" due to the very realistic emotions towards DUTY and personal feelings.

Favorite film (just because) would be "Ghostbusters" closely followed by "Aliens".

Guilty pleasure (as I think this is a great sub section) any Chuck Norris movie, "Invasion USA" :D

**** Spiderman, all three were utter crap and dissapointments

100% agree even though the first was good, the third killed me.

I have never seen the pussification of a villain taken to such extremes. Venom lasted for less time than the bloody Green Goblin. To me this could only be beaten if they had killed the Silver Surfer in FF2.

Guilty pleasure (as I think this is a great sub section) any Chuck Norris movie, "Invasion USA" :D

Most Jackie Chan Films for me as well.

Lots of Jet Lee's chinese language films are excellent.

Although I cant believe I forgot to put Hard Boiled down as an important film, because it made John Woo and Hong Kong Gangster movies mainstream (whether that is good or bad is a different kettle of fish). Replacement Killers as well.

Apocolypse Now - I love the attack on the village, it is as perfect a set piece scene as can be, only the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan betters it.

The rest....... nah

I hate the film simply for the fact that it spawned those sequels.

Now that's definately not fair. You can't slag off a film because it was followed by a load of crap sequels.

Jurassic Park could be a contender for the computer graphics, and its outrageous story-line.

Pity the acting was so hammy you could hear "oink oink" noises in the background.

Surprised Al Pacino Scarface hasn't been listed yet, Tony Montana is probably on of the best fictional gangsters ever.

The world is not enough for this fella!

Mainly because of the moronic wanna be Tony Montana's it created. I found Tony to (in the end) be such a pathetic creature of a fellow.

Now that's definately not fair. You can't slag off a film because it was followed by a load of crap sequels.

Jurassic Park could be a contender for the computer graphics, and its outrageous story-line.

Pity the acting was so hammy you could hear "oink oink" noises in the background.

I was being a tad over the top I must admit. I remember queuing for an hour at the cinema in Dundee to see it with my dad, first film I saw in the cinema since ET.

I think in my older age I have been troubled with the twisting of the novels to fit the movie.

Mainly because of the moronic wanna be Tony Montana's it created. I found Tony to (in the end) be such a pathetic creature of a fellow.

I think that is what the director was aiming for.

Just my opinion.

Archived