BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

The only possible reasons that Warnock would want to leave here for Newcastle is for i) money or ii) to play in front of bigger crowds every week.

I say this because we're not that great with the wages from various stories I've read and obviously the crowds at places like Newcastle, Sunderland, Tottenham, Villa etc are bigger.

From a purely footballing point of view, I think our players are better off where they are. If their hunger is for wages and big crowds, then we cant really compete with that.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It HAD to be Ince's decision.

Friedel put Rovers in a very difficult position. He used his record and long service to apply what amounts to moral blackmail.

Ince makes it clear that he wanted to keep Friedel and offered him more money - here:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport..._a_tough_start/

He is as brassed off as anybody at the unsettling behaviour of some other clubs. It seems to me that he is busting a gut in his efforts to fight off the predators. I think he deserves and needs our support.

Update from Sporting Life Transfer News:

1135: Back to Newcastle's hunt for defenders and Metz's French defender Sebastien Bassong has told Setanta Sports he is hopeful of making the move to St James' Park following a trial.

He is as brassed off as anybody at the unsettling behaviour of some other clubs. It seems to me that he is busting a gut in his efforts to fight off the predators. I think he deserves and needs our support.
The quote in that article that grabbed my attention was

""It’s been a hard start, what with the Brad situation, and the Bentley situation, and Warnock,” conceded Ince. "

Now, if it's true that Brad was the one who wanted out, and we know that Bentley has intimated the same thing, can we take the grouping of them all together that the Warnock story is in a similar vein?

Friedel put Rovers in a very difficult position. He used his record and long service to apply what amounts to moral blackmail.

Ince makes it clear that he wanted to keep Friedel and offered him more money - here:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport..._a_tough_start/

Is telling it as it is, tantamount to writing Ince off, - as Blue Phil suggested some people are saying?

IT WAS INCE'S DECISION TO LET FRIEDEL LEAVE FOR ONE OF OUR COMPETITIORS. I'll support Ince as everyone else will do, come season start.

Don't let the blue 'n White specs cloud your judgement of the situation. If Bentley leaves, - who's decision will that be?

Brad had been here 8 years, we've had his best years, got a small fortune for him (considering his age) and have replaced him with a much better goalie....Where was Brad when he was 28? In the same position as Robinson. Ince has done well. ;)

Is telling it as it is, tantamount to writing Ince off, - as Blue Phil suggested some people are saying?

IT WAS INCE'S DECISION TO LET FRIEDEL LEAVE FOR ONE OF OUR COMPETITIORS. I'll support Ince as everyone else will do, come season start.

Don't let the blue 'n White specs cloud your judgement of the situation. If Bentley leaves, - who's decision will that be?

Bentleys. He's said so months ago.

The Portugal trip was completely different and that’s what pre-season tours should be about – coming to places where the weather is good.

Good lad Incey, get those priotities straight. Although you forgot to mention cold beer.......

Brad had been here 8 years, we've had his best years, got a small fortune for him (considering his age) and have replaced him with a much better goalie....Where was Brad when he was 28? In the same position as Robinson. Ince has done well. ;)

Much better goalie ? Someone has been out in the sun too much............... :lol:

Like for like....when Brad was Robinson's age, he was in Liverpool's reserves. Brad wasn't gonna last for ever....Incey did the right thing in my opinion.

Like for like?! Just because they were both rotting away in the reserves, it doesn't mean that Robinson is going to be anywhere near as good as Friedel has been for us. Even Robinson at his best wasn't a patch on Brad.

regarding the robinson/friedel deal. i cant see one point of that deal that was not 100% superb for rovers. friedel will start losing form soon, so we had to get someone anyway. and we get a fortune for him! then we get paul robinson, who like it or not IS a quality keeper. much more than what friedel was when he came. robbo is young, and only need to get his confidence back up where it should be.

bottom line is we got a england international keeper for under 1m. in two years time we would have to get a new keeper. how could we get a similar/better keeper for that price then?

More news...

1156: The transfer market is certainly picking up with the new season just a matter of weeks away and another huge signing could be about to go through with Robbie Keane set to complete his £18million move from Tottenham in the next 24 hours.

The Republic of Ireland international is believed to be undergoing a medical with the Anfield club today.

1153: Andy Johnson's agent says the Everton striker is having a medical at Fulham.

Brad had been here 8 years, we've had his best years, got a small fortune for him (considering his age) and have replaced him with a much better goalie....

You didn't rate Brad then - or you think Robinson is the best keeper in the Prem/World? :lol:

Friedal on last seasons form was 1 of the best 3 goalkeepers in the premiership. Robinson was a joke figure how this could ever be a good deal is beyond me.

if you JUST look at the coming season, yes. i would prefer friedel any day. but looking at the next 3-5 seasons there is no way i would stick with brad. we have to look further than one or two seasons at a time. if ince doesnt do great this year, and we end up 10-12th, its no crisis. if we are back up in the top 6 in 3-4 years it doesnt matter what happens this year. planning and long term relationships is key in football.

Friedal on last seasons form was 1 of the best 3 goalkeepers in the premiership. Robinson was a joke figure how this could ever be a good deal is beyond me.

The season before that Roque Santa Cruz was the laughing stock of the Bundesliga whilst Benni McCarthy was setting the Premiership alight...see where I'm going here?

Yes, in the end we could have kept Brad. Initially I wanted Ince to tell him that he had to fulfil his contract but on reflection I don't think it would have worked. The club did the best they could in a crappy situation - insisting on a big fee and refusing to sell until Robinson was in the bag. Reading this board, it seems that many people feel that it makes good sense overall. We are talking about a major Rovers hero here and it hurts.

As far as Bentley is concerned, I don't think many want him to stay do they? He has made it clear that he doesn't want to be a Rover anymore. Nevertheless, I don't think Ince will let him go unless the same conditions that applied to the Brad transfer are in place. Namely, we want big money and an adequate replacement.

I don't think I said that you were writing Ince off but your posts have become more pessimistic recently. I genuinely feel that Ince will be good for the club - let's face it, we don't know the minutiae of what is going on but with my "blue and white specs" I prefer a more upbeat interpretation.

The season before that Roque Santa Cruz was the laughing stock of the Bundesliga whilst Benni McCarthy was setting the Premiership alight...see where I'm going here?

I only hope it not... Andrews was the laughing stock!

Archived