BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad's Replacement

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How good he is is completely irrelevant. Villa completely blew us out of the water by offering him far more money than we sensibly could.

Brad could have turned it down, but taking the blue and white tinted specs off, would have been pretty daft to.

Having said all that, I don't think we've handled this very well today. By accepting Villa's offer (subject to conditions) we've

1) Conceded the moral high ground to Brad. Instead of telling him he's under contract etc. the onus now sort of switches to us to conclude a deal elsewhere.

2) Given other clubs (including Spurs) carte blanche to screw us into the ground on the price of their keeper.

I've backed Rovers JW and Ince all the way on this but the way it is now developing is getting worrying.

Robinson in, Friedel out seems good long term business.

Friedel out, no real idea who's coming in, is bonkers.

Personally, unless Spurs demands for Robinson are totally outrageous, I'd pay it. 3.5m seems on the low side to me and if any add ons are linked to England appearances etc. his value will increase anyway.

Whoops, if that's true, ignore my previous post. :blush:

Great news if true.

Good post Rev.

The worrying factor that I have is the change in policy at Ewood.

Transfer dealings were allways kept under wraps untill announced as a done deal.

Why all of a sudden are the powers that be leaking so much information to the media, which in essence is as Rev put it, Given other clubs (including Spurs) carte blanche to screw us

If Robinson gets back to his best,he could easily reclaim the number 1 jersey for England.then we could have Warnock at left back and if he stays bents on the right.if dunny has a good season he could make the squad as well,even Derbyshire.as far as im concerned,its good to have more English players in the squad.

Good post Rev.

The worrying factor that I have is the change in policy at Ewood.

Transfer dealings were allways kept under wraps untill announced as a done deal.

Why all of a sudden are the powers that be leaking so much information to the media, which in essence is as Rev put it, Given other clubs (including Spurs) carte blanche to screw us

Spurs are not "other clubs", they are Daniel Levy who screws other people as naturally as he breathes.

There is nothing to lose and perhaps something to be gained by doing it this way. After all, Brad stays if we don't get a replacement so Rovers are hardly against the wall on this one.

If Robinson gets back to his best,he could easily reclaim the number 1 jersey for England.then we could have Warnock at left back and if he stays bents on the right.if dunny has a good season he could make the squad as well,even Derbyshire.as far as im concerned,its good to have more English players in the squad.

Iccy. Derbyshire and Dunn wouldn't get in the England team if there was an earthquake.

Warnock is still the third to fifth (depending on form) best English let back so I have my doubts long term about that one.

And Bentley is already gone as far as I'm concerned.

Agree about Robinson though.

Can't understand anyone complaining about Robinson... Rovers would have to shell out around £10m for a no-risk, high calibre goalkeeper, ie one of Brad's ability. Didn't Liverpool want Villa to pay that for CARSON?! Sunderland paid £9m for Craig Gordon - the market for 'keepers is crazy at the moment.

Robinson is the new David James, made mistakes, low on confidence, just needs a new club and a fresh start. Yes, signing him represents a risk, but for the amount he'll probably cost us it's a risk very much worth taking. Don't forget Friedel was making mistakes, so even the worst happens and Robinson throws the odd clanger, we haven't lost much. On the other hand, best case scenario - we end up with the best English goalkeeper in the league, earning us more points in a season that Bentley ever could for a fraction of the price.

Whatever way you look at we will have a worse keeper next year, you can spin it all you want. Robbinson is nowhere near Brads class and never will be, we should of moved heaven and earth to keep him with us, the guy doesn't even have a agent so must be he thought Ince is a muppet,

Things move on, times change - get over it!

Id rather we replaced him now for an extra £1m or so than next season when we have to blast £8-10m and all our budget on a new keeper.

Robinson is a better keeper than Gordon - he cost £9m. There is a prime example.

Things move on, times change - get over it!

Id rather we replaced him now for an extra £1m or so than next season when we have to blast £8-10m and all our budget on a new keeper.

Robinson is a better keeper than Gordon - he cost £9m. There is a prime example.

Hughesy with all due respect stop shouting or putting down people who have a different opinion than you. You are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs.

Whatever way you look at we will have a worse keeper next year, you can spin it all you want. Robbinson is nowhere near Brads class and never will be, we should of moved heaven and earth to keep him with us, the guy doesn't even have a agent so must be he thought Ince is a muppet,

A bit unfair that bubblerrovers. I think the lines will converge in about 3 years time.

Shilton was on Sky today saying how he thought Robinson was the only keeper capable of moving David James from England No.1 .....We might just fall on our feet if Brad does go.........

Really? Well imo if Friedel was English David James would not have had a sniff at a cap these past few years...... and Freidel would have been at a big 4 club for about the same length of time. :rolleyes:

If Brad wants to move to pastures new then I think we should wish him all the best, he has been a great servant to Rovers over te years. As for Paul Robinson, I feel he will make a great replacement for Big Brad. Lets not forget Robinson has played in a Champions leauge semi final (be it with dirty leeds) and has been the first choice for England. I feel that should he join Rovers he will be under less presure than he is at Spurs and will quickly regain the form that saw him wearing the England No 1 Jersey.

Archived