BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad's Replacement

I used to rate Robinson highly before all the high profile mistakes and poor performances over the last two seasons. If he can recover his former form, then he could be a good signing. However, he is, and always will be shockingly bad when it comes to long range shots.

Carson was sensational at Sheffield Wednesday and I think he will become a cracking keeper. I don't think we should make too much of one single mistake for England either.

I'd probably have Carson, although we could do a lot worse than either.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do have an idea if Andrews can step up since he has been tested at Championship level. And failed.

He was part of the Wolves squad which got relegated from the Premier League a few years back. And wasn't even good enough to get into the team.

Also, the 1994-1995 league wasnt full of international stars like it is today. The standard is so much higher its not even funny.

Reid and Neill were 22 and 23 respectively and were playing in the league below us (I think...) and had succeeded in their careers so far.

Andrews is 27, playing three leagues below us and has had a stop-start journeyman career.

You keep blindly supporting our manager, I'd rather be realistic...

Good for you. But do you mind not being so repetitive about it? We all heard you the first thousand times.

At least Vinjay's posts were amusing

I think Carson has all the makings for a very very good keeper, myabe not Brad but definately in the top 4 or 5 keeps in the league.

The fact that Stoke has now dropped out of the running and he wants out from Liverpiss stands us in good shape to pick up a bargain.

I love Brad but he ain't getting any younger and we need to look forward to any possibilities that come our way, especially for a young international who has another 10 years ahed of him before he peaks.

Robert Green from west ham? He's supposedly seriously cheesed off. I know there are quite a few people who wonder why he hasn't been in England squads. although presumably with Ince's history West Ham would not be keen

Good for you. But do you mind not being so repetitive about it? We all heard you the first thousand times.

At least Vinjay's posts were amusing

If people insist on being so repetitive to me with the same old tired points, then of course my replies are going to be repetitive.

Still...not really my fault you seem incapable of reading the previous posts eh?

I do have an idea if Andrews can step up since he has been tested at Championship level. And failed.

He was part of the Wolves squad which got relegated from the Premier League a few years back. And wasn't even good enough to get into the team.

Also, the 1994-1995 league wasnt full of international stars like it is today. The standard is so much higher its not even funny.

Reid and Neill were 22 and 23 respectively and were playing in the league below us (I think...) and had succeeded in their careers so far.

Andrews is 27, playing three leagues below us and has had a stop-start journeyman career.

You keep blindly supporting our manager, I'd rather be realistic...

We haven't signed him though.

You have based that entire rant on idle chit-chat.

How foolish....

:-)

We haven't signed him though.

You have based that entire rant on idle chit-chat.

How foolish....

:-)

And people were defending his signing on idle chit-chat too...works both ways.

Anyway, whether it happens or not all sources have said Ince did want to sign him, and reliable sources like nicko have said it was likely to happen. At least he's got more promising targets lined up...

Robert Green from west ham? He's supposedly seriously cheesed off. I know there are quite a few people who wonder why he hasn't been in England squads. although presumably with Ince's history West Ham would not be keen

I was hoping this guy would not get mentioned .... If Carson is overrated , then double it for this guy.

I was hoping this guy would not get mentioned .... If Carson is overrated , then double it for this guy.

I'm not suggesting it because i think he should be brought in. It was just that rumours this morning say he wants out of West Ham and I wnated to know whether anyone thought he might be suitable for us instead of the other distinctly average players we seem to be linked with.

What the 28 year old England international with 41 caps?

Whose confidence appears to be at a very low point. Difference of opinion again here and i don't want to argue. I don't rate robinson. You do. I accept your right to hold the opinion that he might come good here. end of discussion.

Phil Neville has 18 more caps.

Name me all the top class goalkeepers that Robinson kept out of the England side...

Robert Green

David James

Marco Almunia

Carlo Cudicini

Chris Kirkland

Not want any of those?

Who do you want in goal?

Robert Green

David James

Marco Almunia

Carlo Cudicini

Chris Kirkland

Not want any of those?

Who do you want in goal?

Robinson has been playing for England since 2003...

Robert Green has only been on the scene for the last two years and was injured for some time.

James was pretty far from international class for large portions of that time and only in the last year or two has he looked good again...and surprise surprise he's kept Robinson out of the team.

Alumnia/Cudicini - never serious options, they'd at least be in the squad if they were up for serious consideration.

Kirkland played 25 games in 5 years whilst at Liverpool and most of the time while he's been at Wigan it's been James keeping him out of the side.

Like I said, Robinson was only in the side because of poor options and back then he looked a better prospect than he does now. Having said that, this move may work out but it's got a big chance of us ending up with no solid keepers aswell. His international caps are a pretty poor argument.

The question was "who do you want in goal?"

Not "who do you not want in goal?"

If Sven thought Cudicini was better than Robinson, I have no doubt that he would have been in the team.

The fact is Sven thought he was good enough, and so apparently does Paul Ince (and Eric Steele), and that's good enough for me.

Plus he is an Englishman, I thought little Blackburn'ers loved that kind of thing.....

I'd rather we hung onto Friedel. Or looked beyond England, there has to be better options than Robinson out there...

He is 37! FFS

Sometimes you have to look forward.

Move on, change is difficult but is more often than not, necessary!

The question was "who do you want in goal?"

Not "who do you not want in goal?"

If Sven thought Cudicini was better than Robinson, I have no doubt that he would have been in the team.

The fact is Sven thought he was good enough, and so apparently does Paul Ince (and Eric Steele), and that's good enough for me.

Plus he is an Englishman, I thought little Blackburn'ers loved that kind of thing.....

I'm far from a "little Blackburner" seeing as I don't live there anymore and have no plans to move back, thanks...

Cudicini only qualified for England in 2005, Sven left in 2006. With the World Cup just round the corner he was hardly going to change his goalkeeper, and from wikipedia (not the most reliable source I know but things generally get edited if theyre wrong)..

Despite his eligibility, Cudicini has never shown any interest in playing for England.

He was the best of an average bunch when Sven was around and has dipped since then. I really hope this works out but if he continues his current form we are going to be weakened significantly.

Like I said, Robinson was only in the side because of poor options and back then he looked a better prospect than he does now. Having said that, this move may work out but it's got a big chance of us ending up with no solid keepers aswell. His international caps are a pretty poor argument.

England do have poor options but generally speaking he was considered a very good keeper (although not world class) till about 2 years ago.

The cards on the table seem to be:

1) Freidal wants to leave (I suspect there is a combination of something about his and Ince's past, and his relationship with Lerner and Hughes, which has prompted this)

2) He is 37 so we cannot get an enormous fee for him

3) Therefore we are going to have a limited budget to sign a new keeper.

So we cannot go out and buy a world class keeper as we don't have the money. We are going to have to (as usual, as we did with Freidal himself) gamble a bit. Robinson to me looks like he is a decent bet for the price. No other names stick out. Sure we could look abroad but that would also be a gamble.

I am pretty certian this whole situation would not have occured unless Freidal decided he wanted to leave, or Ince decided he could not work with Freidal, or, more likely, a combination of the two. I am sure the thing that got the ball rolling is that Lerner conveyed to Fredial that an enormous pay packet was waiting should he like to move.

Time to move on guys. Whoever we get in we have to get behind them and make them a success.

Archived