BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beijing Olympics 2008

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Adrian Chiles has just said, I struggle to be indignant about a sport I don't really understand, but I think it's fair to say the British girl has been totally tucked up there against the Chinese girl in the Taekwondo.

Guest Kamy100

Aye I don't understand Taekwondo at all, but the British girl deffo hit her in the face right at the end, but then again she was up against an opponent from the host nation so she was never going to get that decision. Feel really sorry for her because that is 4 years hard work and sacrifice up in smoke through no fault of her own.

It looks like it's been overturned! Apparently this is totally unprecedented, but it would appear the officials have looked at the footage again and given Sarah Stevenson the win.

Just a comment on the BBC coverage. They've probably needed their own Olympic village there's so many of them and as a result it's been a mixed bag.

For me:

The bad...the awful Hazel Irvine(quite refreshing to have Balding and Chiles on this morning), Matt Baker, a shouty, gushing children's tv presenter replacing the quality of Barry Davies (packed off to the hockey) on the Gymnastics.

The good...Chiles, amusing and genuinely sports mad; Balding, knowledgeable and not condescending; Michael Johnson, great pundit.

What have others made of it?

First and foremost the coverage on the BBC Sport website has been tremendous. It's been very easy to follow everything that has been going on, and the live text coverage is enjoyable and relaxed.

As far as the TV side of things goes, you're pretty much spot on. The band of ex GB athletes tend to make for uncomfortable viewing - infact I've felt sorry for Johnson on more than one occasion for the stuff he's had to put up with. We all want the coverage to be GB weighted, but I don't think they ever really get the balance right.

Chiles is excellent, and the lad off of Newsround has been sound enough. Sue Barker, Hazel Irvine et al are just a necessary evil imo.

WOW! What an opening ceremony! The lighting of the olympic torch in itself was quite something else,i bet the London commitee are bricking themselves after that! :wacko:

With regards to medal prospects,i watched James Degale this morning win his first bout easily in the boxing so hopefully a medal there.

I wish i had bet on the bugger to win! :(

Well done James!

Sod the "Olympic Party" did no one see the god awful 8 minute handover bit during the closing ceremony? A few random steet dancers, a red bus, Leona Lewis who you couldn't hear and Deavid Beckham booting a football into the crowd. If that's as good as we have to offer we are going to be a laughing stock in 4 years time. I can see it now, George Sampson "street dancing" to singing in the rain again. best of british.

Sod the "Olympic Party" did no one see the god awful 8 minute handover bit during the closing ceremony? A few random steet dancers, a red bus, Leona Lewis who you couldn't hear and Deavid Beckham booting a football into the crowd. If that's as good as we have to offer we are going to be a laughing stock in 4 years time. I can see it now, George Sampson "street dancing" to singing in the rain again. best of british.

That's what I thought at the time but on reflection it was pretty good. The sound of a classic guitar riff amid all the computer organised, two years in rehearsal shiny happy people was a breath of fresh air.

And didn't that closing ceremony go on forever ? Yes technically it was impressive but bloody hell, when was it going to end ? Those poor little girls with welded on smiles looked almost freakish, and more and more boring fireworks.

We shouldn't try to compete with the Chinese ceremony in 2012, but rather put our own twist on a lower key, more natural affair with more humour.

Boris was on top form later :lol:

I hope the British don't try and go toe to toe with the Chinese olympics, 44 billion dollars is certainly a lot of money that could improve healthcare ect.

Personally I would rather see some form of collaboration of a mass afternoon tea with scones, William Wallace, Sheep Shagging and St Patrick

I hope the British don't try and go toe to toe with the Chinese olympics, 44 billion dollars is certainly a lot of money that could improve healthcare ect.

Personally I would rather see some form of collaboration of a mass afternoon tea with scones, William Wallace, Sheep Shagging and St Patrick

Well at least 2 of those options belong in different countries, one in particular in your location

:lol:

Well at least 2 of those options belong in different countries, one in particular in your location

:lol:

If you mean St Pats day? Yes you are correct - its very big in Australia..

If your referring to sheep shagging - your sadly confused, as I think you will find that is our retarded cousins, across the tasmin sea in NZ. ;)

Or a rock legend

(that didn't asphyxiate himself whilst masturbating)

:rolleyes:

Archived