BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beijing Olympics 2008

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem with you not supporting Murray, thats up to you.

However to say typical Scot letting Britain down again is not on IMO.

Ok i will re-phrase it "MURRAY LETS BRITAIN DOWN" he should not of gone in the 1st place, i also think that Tennis should not be an olympic sport, but who am i to say that!!!

The badminton mixed doubles was great to watch, the Chinese made a great comeback and they were just a few points from winning before a British revival.

Really enjoyed that, they were 17-12 down in the 3rd and deciding game at one stage.

Takes them in to quarter final stage.

I think athletics is okay but it is revealing about human nature that you can invent the most confusing, aimless, contrived event, call it sport and pit competitors against each other on the basis of nationality, and you'll have the partisan crowd whooping with excitement.

Cricket is a good example. Presumably it's not in the olympics because it's a hobby, not a sport. Can anyone clarify this?

Good to see we have medals in two 'proper' sports, swimming and cycling.

cricket's probably the greatest all round sport out there, physical strength, touch, intelligence, stamina and luck all play a massive role more so than any other sport i can think of.

I think they're going to try to get Twenty20 for the 2012 games

cricket's probably the greatest all round sport out there, physical strength,

Physical strength is irrelevant in cricket apart from holding a pint or two after a match. You need timing and a good eye for hitting a ball, rhythm and athleticism for bowling and throwing, nowt else.

except for fielding, bowling and being able to hit the ball when it needs to be spanked, other than that, you're spot on, physical strength doesnt come into it.

Players such as Flintoff are physically strong but his ability to hit a cricket ball a long way is down to timing and an extremely heavy bat.

Fortunately cricket is a game of beauty and the very best players are not strong men who use the bat like a bludgeon but artistes such as Peter May, Tom Graveney, Ted Dexter, David Gower, and (in his pomp) Michael Vaughan, glorious strokemakers who caress the ball to the boundary with a flashing rapier blade.

Similarly, the most beautiful bowler I have seen is Fred Trueman, certainly a strong man but a bowler who gained his great speed from a classic rythmical action. I remember also the greatest fielder of all time, the South African Colin Bland, swooping to pick up the ball and run out batsman with devastating grace and precision. No strength required there.

So yes my dear Flopsy, I am spot on.

Realy how do you know this? I played club cricket from the age of 14-21. Played for my school & sixth-form

You realy do make yourself look like a silly old fool at times.

My dear acne-ridden friend. Until I retired from playing 5 years ago, I played club cricket for more than 40 years. If you include school years, I played our glorious summer game for over half a century and loved every minute of it. So yes, I am speaking from experience.

Your middle stump has just been flattened and you're out for a golden duck.

Thanks for coming. See you next season.

except for fielding, bowling and being able to hit the ball when it needs to be spanked, other than that, you're spot on, physical strength doesnt come into it.

Agreed, the likes of Flintoff, K.P , V RIchards, Dhoni, Hayden & Symonds main asseet is/ was there physical strength.

Guys your both incorrect - Physical strength is not a key requirement for cricket.. It can help with power on the stroke, but timing and hand eye co-ordination is bar far the biggest trait/requirement, a cricketer (batting + fielding) needs, to be successful in the game.

As I mentioned on the cricket thread, upper body strength is not a key requirement for bowling either... Look at Shane Watson, after years of being told to cut down on physical aspect of his gym routine, he is now bowling a much more consistent line and length (and with good speed, I might add). Since listening to those who know and he, himself admitting this, he has become the IPL 'Man of the series' and is also now in contention for a test recall to the Aus squad.

Mental stamina, fitness and personal belief, are also other key requirement's, I would put well before physical strength attributes. Sports science journals and bio-mechanical studies, also back these claims.

Btw - In case some questions me, I also played the great game for over 15 years, playing for state schools of NSW and for university grade. In fact, I played against Matthew Nicholson (Australian Test Bowler) for two years, when he was playing for Knox College... He still plays very well for Northamptionshire. Its a pity he never got a second test (BB of 3/56 @ 28.75 and 4 wickets in total), as the likes of Gillespie, Kasper, Lee and McGrath kept him out. Well that and also he got CFS from a bout of glandular fever.

CLB - Cricket not a sport and just a hobby?!?.. :blink::lol:

EDIT: Spelling mistake

Britain, but not people who want to be Scottish rather than British. I have no ancestry or interest in the Democratic Republic of Methodonia, so if any sportsman starts supporting 'anyone playing England' and so on, I don't care for their success or failure. They see themselves as Scottish rather than British, so why should I support them?

You must be a laugh a minute!! Never heard of banter? Murray made an admittedly i'll-judged attempt at humour once and ever since people that know nothing about him have used it as an excuse not to support him. Utter nonsense.

Does any one watch Women's Gymnastics Artistic ?

Chiniese team won the gold medal.

the performance was great...How can I say... I felt someting uncomfortable.

they are children... looks only small girl!! I thought they're around 10 years old!

--- 3pleyers 16 years old, one of 15 and 20.

everbody very short and thin.Heights are 1m37cm / 4'6" to 1m52cm / 5'0". weights are 31kg / 68lbs to 43kg / 95lbs.

The words flow from my brain is "child labor"....

an I wrong? : (

You must be a laugh a minute!! Never heard of banter? Murray made an admittedly i'll-judged attempt at humour once and ever since people that know nothing about him have used it as an excuse not to support him. Utter nonsense.

I just hate that droning, arrogant tit. Is that OK? Am I allowed to do that? Or should I support and love a dog turd if it is wrapped in a flag? Three cheers for Harold Shipman, after all he was a British murderer.

they are children... looks only small girl!! I thought they're around 10 years old!

--- 3pleyers 16 years old, one of 15 and 20.

everbody very short and thin.Heights are 1m37cm / 4'6" to 1m52cm / 5'0". weights are 31kg / 68lbs to 43kg / 95lbs.

The girl that you have listed as 16 years old (Jiang Yuyuan), was in fact listed as a 14 year old, two months in another local competition. I am not sure how someone actually gains 2 years of age in two months, but do you think the IOC will actually stop them? <_<

IMO, Its quite obvious none of the Chinese gymnastics team are over 16 years old (minimum IOC age requirement)...

Click me

IMO, Its quite obvious none of the Chinese gymnastics team are over 16 years old (minimum IOC age requirement)...

Is that the minimum requirement for all Olympic events, or just Gymnastics?

Is that the minimum requirement for all Olympic events, or just Gymnastics?

From what I remember, minimum is 16 on all sports, except the marathon, which is higher 19 or 20 - I think. Some others might also have higher restrictions

EDIT: On another point - China has now admitted that the young girl singing at the opening ceremony was miming. The real 7 year old, who sang the song, was deemed to ugly by the music director - nice, eh! Here is the link

Add to this, the selections of 'pre-recorded' fireworks for the televised event and the whole show is turning into one big embarrassment for them. Pathetic really...

Archived