BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] On This Day In History

Blackburn Rovers 1 Arsenal 0 - Shearer (84 mins) Att 16,454

16 blinkin years ago....What a day it was. First Premier League game at Ewood. God I feel old.

Blackburn: Mimms ,May ,Dobson ,Sherwood ,Hendry ,Moran ,Ripley ,Atkins ,Shearer ,Newell ,Wilcox

Subs not used: Price,Wegerle,Dickins

Arsenal: Seaman ,Dixon ,Winterburn ,Hillier ,Bould ,Adams ,Jensen (Pates ,77 ) ,Smith ,Campbell ,Carter ,Limpar (Groves ,84)

Subs not used: Williams

Bookings: May ,Sherwood (Blackburn)

Referee Joe Worrall (Warrington)

Blackburn Rovers 1 Arsenal 0 - Shearer (84 mins) Att 16,454

16 blinkin years ago....What a day it was. First Premier League game at Ewood. God I feel old.

Blackburn: Mimms ,May ,Dobson ,Sherwood ,Hendry ,Moran ,Ripley ,Atkins ,Shearer ,Newell ,Wilcox

Subs not used: Price,Wegerle,Dickins

Arsenal: Seaman ,Dixon ,Winterburn ,Hillier ,Bould ,Adams ,Jensen (Pates ,77 ) ,Smith ,Campbell ,Carter ,Limpar (Groves ,84)

Subs not used: Williams

Bookings: May ,Sherwood (Blackburn)

Referee Joe Worrall (Warrington)

Is the attendance correct ? If it is then that was very poor.

Yeah you are probably right as it was around that time the Ewood Park re-development took place. The pictures and footage of Ewood are something to behold, the contrast between old and new is unbelievable!

Yeah you are probably right as it was around that time the Ewood Park re-development took place. The pictures and footage of Ewood are something to behold, the contrast between old and new is unbelievable!

Don't think so. Ewood didn't start getting demolished until about February the following year. The 'old' Ewood was in full working order for the Arsenal game.

I have no idea why the attendance wasn't a full house except that maybe Arsenal didn't bring so many. I remember prior to the Arsene Wenger era their traveling support was always fairly poor.

Ah right, what a change though I never got to experience the 'old' Ewood unfortunately, one regret I will always have, I was only 7 or 8 at the time so couldn't quite afford to pay for myself then but make up for it now I can!

Just out of intrest, why have they never rebuilt the whole of the stands??

Because the riverside was relatively new when the rest of the stadium was rebuilt and there was no need to rebuild it other than for cosmetic reasons. There's a long thread on the pros and cons of rebuilding the stand somewhere but I can't find it.

"Blackburn end looked bonkers when we scored. "

And people wonder why we miss it so much.... . .

Too true.

The capacity of Ewood at the time was around 19,000...sold out in home areas but very few Arsenal travelled.Never quite understood why the hell we weren't given the Darwen End terrace too that season?

Very few foreigners in the premier league back then, how things have changed.

11 Number of players from outside UK & Ire who started first weekend of Premier League in 1992

Peter Schmeichel (Den) Man Utd

Andrei Kanchelskis (Rus) Man Utd

Jan Stejskal (Cze) QPR

Roland Nilsson (Swe) Sheff Wed

Michael Vonk (Holl) Man City

John Jensen (Den) Arsenal

Anders Limpar (Swe) Arsenal

Hans Segers (Holl) Wimbledon

Tony Dorigo (Aus) Leeds

Eric Cantona (Fra) Leeds

Gunnar Halle (Nor) Oldham

I was only 5 at the time of the game, so of course I dont remember it happening at the time. However over the years ive collected most of the season review's on video and dvd-Of all the goals we've scored at Ewood since our return to the top flight, i dont think ive seen a stand erupt quite like it did when shearer scored that winner. It looks like people are moving a coupla meters up and down with each bounce of the crowds celebration!

The Darwen end was barely half full, everywhere else was packed. Incedentially, what did the Darwen end hold when it was a terrace? And also I noticed a coupla times that away fans were not in Darwen end, where were they located-in the main stand I presume?

The Darwen end was barely half full, everywhere else was packed. Incedentially, what did the Darwen end hold when it was a terrace? And also I noticed a coupla times that away fans were not in Darwen end, where were they located-in the main stand I presume?

I would guess it held about just under 4000 but that would be a guess.

For a few games (Cambridge in the League cup QF was one) the away fans were in the upper seats of the Nuttall street stand at the Darwen End.

There was also one game which they put all the away fans in the old Enclosure at the Bburn End. I think it was the Sheff Utd FA Cup QF when we had closed the Darwen End but still had to give them 3,000 tickets. That was a bit wierd.

"Blackburn end looked bonkers when we scored. "

And people wonder why we miss it so much.... . .

Last word on this.

Not only did the Blackburn end look fantastic but so did the Rovers kit.

NAVY blue and white halves instead of the insipid Royal blue.

Who gave who ever the permission the change the colour ?

Ref:

LOL, you and me both mate! Was a great day for the BBE, I ended up about 30ft from where I started to cheer !

Shearer would be charged with assault and imagine Wengers response????!!!

Archived