BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Forum

Paul

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He said as things stand a freelancer can print a story and get paid a handsome fee for it, then, if it turns out to be wrong, more often than not get paid again for printing the "actually my story wasn't correct" version!

Re: PR I think you have to realise that no matter how much spin we try to put on it, PR wise as far as the media are concerned we're never going to be a Manchester United. Nevertheless I think dinglebaiter and Philip make some decent points re PR and I would urge them to contact Paul Agnew direct to discuss their concerns further either in correspondence or face to face.

Of course that's the case - look at the latest dining out on RSC 'story'...

1 - tenuous link, another 'lost in translation'

2 - another Nicko 'exclusive'

3 - LET 'no clause'

4 - Sun (whatever that said)

5 - latest Mirror story

5 x wages, fees, paper sales - no further forwards on anything. Not bad for a 'non story'.

Your tacit acceptance of it is atypical of the club's stance I'm afraid. If we as a club keeping dropping our drawers & touching our toes, things will keep getting more painful. If the club put even 10% of their denial efforts into focusing on a positive change, that would reap dividends.

Remember the Arsene Wenger 'rumours' and how they were killed stone dead by his stance? Remember Andy Johnson's diving/pennos fate suddenly changing when Moyes challenged the situation by speaking out in the press, apparently sending a DVD in? Remember Alastair Campbell storming into the BBC during Wimbledon during the 45 mins debacle?

The more the club lie down & 'go get the gimp', the bigger the ball gag they will need.

As for approaching PAPR to address the matter directly, isn't that akin to telling your wife her posterior is getting bigger just before you're looking for rumpy pumpy?

"Paul Agnew made the same point, he said that freelance journalists hardly ever contact him, he said that if they did the majority of the time he would kill the story stone dead! "

I happen to know a couple of freelancers who say that they regularly try to contact Agnew but that he's often difficult to get hold of and only gets back to them if they keep chasing him.

He's talking rubbish.

Freelance publishes rubbish story; newspaper embarassed; editor ask freelancer for sources verification; freelancer sacked if it is made up rubbish.

If a freelacer gets a cracker, he might be careful with his timing but he'll ring up the club PO if only because the reaction itself might make good additional copy. The only time the press will NOT ring the club's PO/PR is if they do not trust the integrity of the person involved.

Over to you Paul Agnew ex-reporter.

Paul Agnew made the same point, he said that freelance journalists hardly ever contact him, he said that if they did the majority of the time he would kill the story stone dead!

Isn't the real situation that 99% of the time the journalists simply are not interested in the truth? With respect to those who do have a serious journalistic intent anything that's written in the tabloids is frankly speculative rubbish designed to sucker in a gullible public. So why bother to check it out with Paul Agnew, Rovers or anyone? If fans stopped reading this stuff then the journos would have to start looking for the true story. Seems to me Rovers could spend a lot of money denying rumours simply for the hacks to ignore them completely.

He said as things stand a freelancer can print a story and get paid a handsome fee for it, then, if it turns out to be wrong, more often than not get paid again for printing the "actually my story wasn't correct" version!

Which simply proves my point.

Re: PR I think you have to realise that no matter how much spin we try to put on it, PR wise as far as the media are concerned we're never going to be a Manchester United. Nevertheless I think dinglebaiter and Philip make some decent points re PR and I would urge them to contact Paul Agnew direct to discuss their concerns further either in correspondence or face to face.

I think this is realistic but what I would like to see is a single source we know we can trust. Rightly or wrongly I used to feel the LET was the place to go for reliable Rovers stories. Surely it would benefit both the club and the LET if this was to become the situation. I don't buy the LET these days but I might well start again if it was going to be a real source of Rovers news.

• Backroom
As for approaching PAPR to address the matter directly, isn't that akin to telling your wife her posterior is getting bigger just before you're looking for rumpy pumpy?

Eh? you wont talk to PAPR directly, but you are prepared to PAY for a 'proper' PR man to sit and discuss it with them? You could save yourself a packet mate and front them out :P;)

Eh? you wont talk to PAPR directly, but you are prepared to PAY for a 'proper' PR man to sit and discuss it with them? You could save yourself a packet mate and front them out :P;)

I just don't think the main problem lies in the level of competence of PAPR; more the brief that they're working to (or not). It's the club and their whole objectives that need considering in the first instance; until they address that (or not), the PAPR aspect may prove to be irrelevant.

As said previously, I've reservations there is a genuine will for improvement within the club on this level. If they're happy with the service they get - either through ignorance or otherwise - then there's not going to be much anyone could do.

Then having had one mis-translation, what happens when RSC goes to South America? An almost identical replication of the mis-translation farce. You'd have thought PAPR would have learnt its lesson with the first episode.

Not that it affects your point Philip but Roque never even went to South America during the last break.

I may have missed this if it has but has it been publicised and a contact number given? I know there were a couple of BBEnders willing to do the job but was that followed up? As long as such a flag is brought out initially folks will soon get the idea and pitch in to help surely?

Mum,

We asked around as well as posting on here and in the end all we had were a couple of tentative offers. I don't doubt that we would get plenty of support to carry it across but what is needed are enough people to collect it, roll it out, fold it back up and put it away again at every match. We need more than a couple of people for that.

I'd be delighted if we could find enough volunteers and maybe a message on the big screen would be a good idea.

Crikey - PA must read this thread; seemingly Ince has got some copy in one of the rags today, interpreted as Benny retaining his hunger/shedding pounds and Villa not being able to afford Roque.

Wonder if Kerry Katona is the other 25% of PAPR's client base? THAT interview yesterday perfectly highlights the difference between positive PR and good PR. When they say 'don't read your publicity, weigh it', they must be on overtime at her clippings service! Still, guess it achieved it's aim, it's getting her show in the mind of the public, will sell more magazines, and the Receiver will be placated somewhat.

This flag seems a good idea, and agree it seems a bit churlish to ban flags in upper tier because of the boxes. There's often a simple solution to these things, if the will is there of course. Rovers must know what the 'drop' is from where the flags could be fastened to - they could even be 'proactive' and fit some plas-ties to clip the flags in - so then all they have to do is measure the flags 'drop' and say 'yay' or 'nay'. Crikey, they could even be a permanent fixture.

Not that it affects your point Philip but Roque never even went to South America during the last break.

Mum,

We asked around as well as posting on here and in the end all we had were a couple of tentative offers. I don't doubt that we would get plenty of support to carry it across but what is needed are enough people to collect it, roll it out, fold it back up and put it away again at every match. We need more than a couple of people for that.

I'd be delighted if we could find enough volunteers and maybe a message on the big screen would be a good idea.

Hhhmm, I'm sure folks would come forward but it's a bit like asking "Would you like an ice cream" and if the answer is "Yes" then saying "Well, we'll bring the ice cream van round a week on Thursday..."

Get the flag made please, I'd stake my season ticket that plenty of folks will step forward to help once they see the flag is there for them to use.

If the idea is mooted on the Big Screen, perhaps someone could be at the Blackburn End to draw folks attention to it and take names, and make sure it's clear to whom or where those interested need to make themselves known.

I have seen reports that Roque was obliged to join the Paraguay squad despite them knowing he would not be fit to play.

The tag line on the interview was that he was interviewed in Asuncion. Now it could be he got rung up from Asuncion and that was something else lost in translation.

I have seen reports that Roque was obliged to join the Paraguay squad despite them knowing he would not be fit to play.

The tag line on the interview was that he was interviewed in Asuncion. Now it could be he got rung up from Asuncion and that was something else lost in translation.

Tom Finn said at the FF that Rovers had had a hard time convincing the Paraguay FA that Roque was injured but that he did not travel in the end.

I think Rovers have missed some good free publicity so far by not linking the Blackburn girl 'Diana Vickers' from the X-FACTOR.

You can gaurantee if it gets close to the final it will start to look more at where the girl grew up, so what better way to get some free publicity and link the Girl with the club and maybe get her to make a guest appearance. Bolton have done it with the girl from Bolton.

I think Rovers have missed some good free publicity so far by not linking the Blackburn girl 'Diana Vickers' from the X-FACTOR.

You can gaurantee if it gets close to the final it will start to look more at where the girl grew up, so what better way to get some free publicity and link the Girl with the club and maybe get her to make a guest appearance. Bolton have done it with the girl from Bolton.

That's a good idea, she'd probably be up for it because it would boost her profile and votes, plus she's got a good chance of winning it too.

Who can i contact at the club to suggest this? Anyone got an email address for the commercial/ marketing department? Makes sense to me. You never know one day she might become an international star and pump some money into our club ha ha!

That's a good idea, she'd probably be up for it because it would boost her profile and votes, plus she's got a good chance of winning it too.

The current PR being done with local band Morning Call is excellent all round in my opinion. Would be nice to see Rovers increasing the profile of other local bands/artists in the future too.

Archived