BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

He shouldnt be a 1st choice starter in the 11 though to be fair.

Not a bad squad-

England Under-21 squad: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Joe Lewis (Peterborough), Scott Loach (Watford); Martin Cranie (Portsmouth), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Michael Mancienne (Chelsea), Nedum Onuoha (Manchester City), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Andrew Taylor (Middlesbrough), Steven Taylor (Newcastle), James Tomkins (West Ham); Lee Cattermole (Wigan), Andrew Driver (Hearts), Craig Gardner (Aston Villa), Adam Johnson (Middlesbrough), James Milner (Aston Villa), Fabrice Muamba (Bolton), Mark Noble (West Ham), Jack Rodwell (Everton); Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Frazier Campbell (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derbs should be kept in my opinion and should always be at least on the bench, sure he might lack some of the skills to make it at the very top but you can't knock his ability to come up with a goal. If we need a goal with ten minutes to go I'd rather see him come on than some random unproven striker.

£3 million or so that they have reportedly bid would not be worth it compared to how important the 5-10 goals he could get for us might be. If we have bids north of £5m then it'll be hard to turn down but you have to remember he still has potential as he's still only in his early twenties. I'd never live down us selling him and then a Blackburn lad coming back to haunt us and proving to be a top talent!

England Under-21 squad: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Joe Lewis (Peterborough), Scott Loach (Watford); Martin Cranie (Portsmouth), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Michael Mancienne (Chelsea), Nedum Onuoha (Manchester City), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Andrew Taylor (Middlesbrough), Steven Taylor (Newcastle), James Tomkins (West Ham); Lee Cattermole (Wigan), Andrew Driver (Hearts), Craig Gardner (Aston Villa), Adam Johnson (Middlesbrough), James Milner (Aston Villa), Fabrice Muamba (Bolton), Mark Noble (West Ham), Jack Rodwell (Everton); Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Frazier Campbell (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

It is, isn't it. But spain and Germany are strong its a difficult group. It is nice to see that most are 21 or under.

We have a chance I don't think we'll beat spain but maybe a draw, germany are the team we must beat though. If we lose to finland I will never hear the end of it. It'll be like australia all over again.

On Derb's, let him go (he needs too) but with two conditions:

1.) buy-back price or first option

2.) Sell-on percentage

I've always wondered what derb's could do with a full season of actually playing. I honestly think we should cover our bases with him as it may bite us in the ass in the future.

Derb's and RSC has always appealed to me, but he's wanted, we'd get a decent fee and we need some funds. He's still young enough to develop, he needs pitch time to do this. But I desperately don't want another Beattie, so fine but cover our bases.

His fee would cover wages for two good freebie signings easily, we just have to find them. Its gonna have to be a "trotters independent traders" kinda summer for Rovers.

Irrelevant Mr E.

Those two aspects will not matter a jot to SA and nor should they. No room for sentiment or romance when you are managing a club with one of the smallest budgets in the Division.

No sentiment in football? Maybe then we shouldn't have played Tugay the last game vs WBA, the man's too old and his place should have gone to someone younger? Who cares about what he means to the fans? :blink:

You should always support and give more chances to the local talents. To those who want to play for the club and the fans can connect with. And it's not like Derbs can't kick a ball, often he's been the best finisher at the club. He has his weaknesses but he's still young and he will get better. We will be risking nothing more on bringing him back than on any other player.

I agree with Mr.E. How come we demand loyalty from our players, but don't give loyalty back to those who love our club?

Nothing like watching local lad Derbyshire score a goal. You can see how much it means to him to score for our club!

Derbs should be kept in my opinion and should always be at least on the bench, sure he might lack some of the skills to make it at the very top but you can't knock his ability to come up with a goal. If we need a goal with ten minutes to go I'd rather see him come on than some random unproven striker.

£3 million or so that they have reportedly bid would not be worth it compared to how important the 5-10 goals he could get for us might be. If we have bids north of £5m then it'll be hard to turn down but you have to remember he still has potential as he's still only in his early twenties. I'd never live down us selling him and then a Blackburn lad coming back to haunt us and proving to be a top talent!

Deadly Dirk is essentially right. Look at it this way. Derbyshire scored something like 5 or 6 goals for Blackburn last season. In addition he scored 5 goals in short time in Greece in a league that cant be that pants. That combined total would make him vying to be our top scorer. Not many premiership players get into double figures.

Also there were a number of times last season, like the Wigan and Portsmouth game when we had done alot of the hard work - well Samba had - but was then knackered. I wished at the time that Derbyshire was available to come on and give the oposition defence something different to think about. I feel that he really could do a job for Blackburn. I dont think that Derbyshire has peaked yet and am surprised at all of this talk about letting him go.

The main issue is that he wants to leave unless we can guarantee him first team football. We can't, because he's not good enough yet to be a first teamer for us. If he really wants a chance to go to Olympiacos and play more regularly - would the loyal thing really be to deny him that opportunity? I'm not so sure.

I would love for us to have Derbs as a super sub next season again, vying to take over a starting berth... but if he doesn't want that, we should let him go for a decent fee.

Derbyshire would be an ideal signing for Burnley.

PL experience, wages not too high and quite pacy.

Doubt that he would go of course.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but, he turned them down when he was at Great Harwood Town.

The best way of preparing youngsters for the real deal is to encourage them to develop their game and to learn to WIN. Our youth sides get ridiculed by other countries superior technical skill and the complacent managers bleat about "learning curves" and other such tripe to hide their own pathetic failings. And nothing changes - we are still hopelessly inferior at junior levels.

Isn't the problem that we place too much emphasis on winning when players are young (and therefore selecting bigger, stronger players) instead of encouraging players to fully express themselves and become technically adept? Removing the fear of failure has to be the most important part of a young player's development because otherwise they won't try the things that could eventually see them become a much better player.

Completely agree with you on that one, Bellamy. Our youngsters need the opportunity to express themselves.

A year or two ago I remember watching some of the Gillingham kids, maybe the U11s, training down at Canterbury, where I go to Uni. One of the guys was playing on the wing and actually looked quite tricky for a player so young. Two or three times in a row he got the ball and tried to take a player on, but lost out. It was great that his confidence wasn't being knocked and that he was still trying. The problem was that he just wasn't strong enough to muscle past the opposing full back.

However, from the sidelines, I could hear one of the Dads shouting 'AH FFS, GET RID OF IT!!' or words to that effect, huffing and puffing, swearing his head off and becoming obviously animated. That is what we need to try to eliminate. Get rid of the competitive edge and let players have fun and express themselves.

At another point during the match, one of the guys lobbed the opposing keeper. The keeper should have done better with it, but those ones are always difficult for kids. Yet, at the end of the match, rather than come over and rub it in his face, the goal scorer and a few others from his side came over. The scorer put his arm round the keeper and said 'well played mate, there was nothing you could have done with that goal - it was just a great strike!' And they went off the pitch smiling and laughing together. THAT is the kind of thing we WANT to see!

On Derbyshire. £3m is a good deal all round. We want rid, Olympiacos want him. He's found his level and everyone seems happy for the deal to go ahead. We're getting greedy is we want more than that, he simply isn't worth it. I hope our kicking our heels in won't scupper the deal for Matty, because he's a good lad.

Bring back Matty! :rover:

He's already back isn't he? :blink:

Anyway, I'd be happy if we got a around £4million for Matt. Get in a replacement for around the same price, however, i'm not too sure we'd be able to find a replacement with the same finishing ability as Matt for the same money.

If so, please enlighten me...

He's already back isn't he? :blink:

Anyway, I'd be happy if we got a around £4million for Matt. Get in a replacement for around the same price, however, i'm not too sure we'd be able to find a replacement with the same finishing ability as Matt for the same money.

If so, please enlighten me...

Last time I heard, his wife was over in Greece looking for a house. And what the point of getting rid of Matty when he is more that capable of playing the premiership?

Last time I heard, his wife was over in Greece looking for a house. And what the point of getting rid of Matty when he is more that capable of playing the premiership?

He is capable of playing in the Premier League, however, he is only effective as a subsitute. As a player, you hate to have that tag. However, that is the case with Derbyshire, and if I remember, he wasn't a starter in Greece either. Came off the bench quite often to score for Olympiakos.

Matty wants to start every game, and the truth is, he isn't as effective as a starter. Every Rover will agree with that statement.

He is capable of playing in the Premier League, however, he is only effective as a subsitute. As a player, you hate to have that tag. However, that is the case with Derbyshire, and if I remember, he wasn't a starter in Greece either. Came off the bench quite often to score for Olympiakos.

Matty wants to start every game, and the truth is, he isn't as effective as a starter. Every Rover will agree with that statement.

No striker is guaranteed a start in our team. And I dont think Matty is any different. Its a shame that hes away.

David Fairclough of Liverpool was a legend there, brilliant coming off the bench and scoring but never held down a starting place!! funny, it does happen!!

soccerbase says:

Blackburn league 17starts (46)subs 10 goals FA Cup 5 starts (3) subs 4 goals league cup 6starts (1) sub 4 goals

Europe 3starts (5)subs 2 goals

It appears that Matty only scored once in a Premier league game as a starter(the other 9 times as a sub) and that was in the 4-1 loss to the red scum at OT 31-3-07.

However he did score the winning goal 3 times in league play in his career so far with us(v. 'boro 11-8-07,v. barcodes 1-3-08 and v. Fulham this year 20-9-08)

I'd be interested to know how many games in a row he has started, if those stats are even available...

He started 8 straight matches in all competetions for us in 2006-2007 in that spring from the 0-0 draw at ewood against Leverkusen until the 1-2 loss to Villa at home the week before our FA Cup semi against Chelsea.

Archived