BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

If you think that Fielding & Gallagher should be given chances at ewood - then you are deluded. I think you will find there is abit of a difference in the quality of teams that Rochdale face compared to Rovers....

Gallagher has had plenty of chances, he has had plenty of chances also at Stoke, Preston & Plymouth and again not really proved himself to the clubs (hence why none of them so far has splashed out on him).

Matty has also had alot of chances, but I do agree we should probably give him one final chance.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the moment I realised we're living on borrowed time in the Premier League.

I've felt that for a while. JW's comments in the Evening Telegraph(?) about the percentage of our income that goes on player wages and how much more that is than the percentage spent by a finnancially healthy club.

That's the moment I realised we're living on borrowed time in the Premier League.

Why? Diouf and Givet will probably add up to a hefty wage between them. Givet will be on at least 25k a week at Marseille, possibly more, and Diouf will be on 25-30k a week now, and again possibly even a bit more. That means we added probably around 60+k a week to what we were spending, so it makes sense that we may have to find a way to reduce that. Derbyshire was usually on the bench and with Diouf coming in and offering another option on the right and up front it was probably thought that Derbyshire would now play even less of a role.

:rover: i honestly think this derbs had to go on loan to free up a wage is bull,it is just an excuse to cover the bad move lardarse made.we needed derbs and he let him go,your not telling me derbs earns more than spit and givet combined,just a poor excuse by the manager,for a very serious mistake :unsure::brfcsmilie:

:rover: i honestly think this derbs had to go on loan to free up a wage is bull,it is just an excuse to cover the bad move lardarse made.we needed derbs and he let him go,your not telling me derbs earns more than spit and givet combined,just a poor excuse by the manager,for a very serious mistake :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Doesn't have to earn more than them put together for it to be true. Just has to earn the makeweight between what we needed for those 2 and what we could afford to pay. And for people still harping on about Vogel HE'S GONE. I was away on holiday when he went and I know about it so surely most of us can keep up to date.

Yes we had to free up wages, but surely there was someone else we could have sent out on loan?....

No, that's the problem. Who would want any of our other bit part players when they're all cr@p or crocked. The only one who might have got some attention would have been Zurab, and I'll bet he's on far more than Derbs and therein lies the stumbling block.

As it stands, it looks like we'll stay up, and it certainly looks like Derbs will come back a better player or we'll get a good fee for him. So is that a Masterstroker by Big Sam or a big slice of luck that all the other teams around us are so sh*t it didn't backfire big time?

So is that a Masterstroker by Big Sam or a big slice of luck that all the other teams around us are so sh*t it didn't backfire big time?

This argument about all the other teams around us being sh*t may well have a ring of truth to it, but we're likely to finish with a points total that would have seen us safe in the majority of Premiership seasons.

:rover: I think every rovers fan realises that the relagation battle has been made easier by the teams below us,to be honest i can not see 3 teams getting 37 pts that we have now,boro/bar codes and hull will fight out the remaining places,but if they do manage to win 2 games there's always sunderland :unsure::brfcsmilie:

You should try to keep up tyrone. That policy has been in place in the main since Hughes took over. 1 in 1 out. If you are lookiong to lay blame then you need to lay blame on the likes of Hodgson, Souey and Kidd who all threw money around wastefully simply cos they could. I think it's DB thats put the rules in place.

We didn't need Derbs at the time tho did we? Plus he wanted to go to greece.

We had Roque coming back, McCarthy wasn't injured, Roberts hadn't broken his foot.

We looked like we had a decent strike force for the remainder of the season.

How in all that is it a "bad move" by Sam?

Will we get a better player in to replace him that's willing to be 3rd/4th choice? Can't see it myself.

Good point. But he wasn't all that willing to be a perrenial sub either. Thats why he beggared off to Olympiakos..... where he is a perennial sub. :rolleyes:

This argument about all the other teams around us being sh*t may well have a ring of truth to it, but we're likely to finish with a points total that would have seen us safe in the majority of Premiership seasons.

Isn't 40 points the magical number because no team has ever been relegated with that many? If we get one more win then there won't be any luck involved at all, we'll have stayed up because we were good enough. Just.

Good point. But he wasn't all that willing to be a perrenial sub either. Thats why he beggared off to Olympiakos..... where he is a perennial sub. :rolleyes:

Did he go because he wanted to, or did he go because Sam wanted to wage space? Sam has had his say on that, not that I take it as gospel but I'm not sure Matt actually asked to go. If he did he would have surely asked for a permanent move somewhere? The point on his status at Olympiakos is an interesting one though - perhaps he'll now have realised that if he wants to play top level football, he'll need to accept he wont be a regular starter.

Matt is a goal scoring sub. Always good to have one of those.

Isn't 40 points the magical number because no team has ever been relegated with that many? If we get one more win then there won't be any luck involved at all, we'll have stayed up because we were good enough. Just.

Since we've been playing 38 game seasons, only Sunderland (40 points - 1996-97), Bolton (40 points - 1997-98) and West Ham (42 points - 2002-03) have gone down with 40 points or more. Interestingly, last season 3 teams actually stayed up despite getting less than 40 points.

Since we've been playing 38 game seasons, only Sunderland (40 points - 1996-97), Bolton (40 points - 1997-98) and West Ham (42 points - 2002-03) have gone down with 40 points or more. Interestingly, last season 3 teams actually stayed up despite getting less than 40 points.

Oh that is interesting, I do like a good stat, cheers. I'm surprised there is this huge thing made about 40 points then.

Oh that is interesting, I do like a good stat, cheers. I'm surprised there is this huge thing made about 40 points then.

It's just a convenient cut off point as a round number. doesn't have quite the same ring to say the magical 37 points or the magical 41 points or whatever.

Oh give it a rest will you - A bad move? Was the bad move finding Givet? Stop Crying gdpitcom6350893749.gif

Derbs will earn at least 20k, which is what Gally earns. Givet - nothing to say we are paying his wages, especially if we paid them a loan fee? So we are maybe say about 10k down if we are paying Diouf 30k, and Marseille are still paying Givet's wages?

we're likely to finish with a points total that would have seen us safe in the majority of Premiership seasons.

Dont tell him that will you

Nothing to do with the money.....Matt doesn't earn that much, so it wouldve made better sense to keep him here and benefit from the 5-10 goals he probably would have scored from Samba knockdowns....he's just type of player you need to partner Big Chris....

I think it was a bad judgement on the managers part. :rover:

You're forgetting the loan fee as well, which is said to be about £750k.

Read the Savage topic from a couple of weeks back about how his deal was going to fall through because we were offering £5,000 less than his wages at Brum. It makes perfect sense that someone had to go before Diouf could come in, and given that we had no-one who could play on the right wing and Derbyshire was 4th choice striker, it was completely the right thing to do.

Fed up of repeating that for the sake of idiots, so I'll make that my last.

Just a thought Dean - who do you think earned more, Derbyshire or Vogel? Could we not have come to terms with Vogel earlier in order to create the space for Diouf without sacrificing Derbyshire?

If you'd finished your post after the first sentence you'd probably have been closer to the truth.

You should try to keep up tyrone. That policy has been in place in the main since Hughes took over. 1 in 1 out. If you are lookiong to lay blame then you need to lay blame on the likes of Hodgson, Souey and Kidd who all threw money around wastefully simply cos they could. I think it's DB thats put the rules in place.

?

Don't think that is fair.

Archived