BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i doubt it, if we've paid his whole contract up we might as well have kept him.

Not at all. Rovers effectively sacked him, but because they were legally obliged to pay up the rest of the contract I imagine that's what they did. So now, yes, he's on gardening leave until the summer.

Just like most other contracting jobs, if someone's contributing nothing then why have them hanging around when you want rid. Eating the food, using the physio, probably claiming goodness knows what else on company expenses. It's a small additonal cost saved when put in context to his wages, but then it looks like we're cutting all corners this year doesn't it?

==============================

DERBYSHIRE KEEN ON FULL-TIME GREEK SWITCH

==============================

Blackburn striker Matt Derbyshire wants to convert his loan stay at Greek side Olympiacos into a permanent one, after settling well at Ernesto Valverde’s side.

The 22-year-old joined the Greek Super League champions on loan in January. In his four months at Olympiakos, Derbyshire has become a firm fans’ favourite as his goals helped secure the Greek title and cup.

Derbyshire says the decision on his future now rests with Rovers, but has indicated what he wants to happen.

"If you're asking me if I'd like to stay here then yes, of course," said Derbyshire.

"But it isn't down to me it's down to Blackburn Rovers and Olympiacos. I'm hopeful that something will happen.”

"There haven't been any talks at all at the moment.”

"Obviously I will have to wait until the end of the English season to see what happens with Blackburn and negotiations will hopefully start then."

No contact

---------------

Since arriving in Greece, Derbyshire says he has heard nothing from Ewood Park.

"There's been no contact whatsoever," he said. "It doesn't bother me though to be honest because he's going through a difficult period where he's fighting relegation.”

"He has to concentrate on everything he has to do at Blackburn and I appreciate that."

Derbyshire added: "Overall it's s been a fantastic move for me. I've got to thank my agent for arranging this move and Blackburn for letting me come out here."

Olympiakos look set to launch a £3million bid and are expected to make their interest official early next week. Derbyshire is believed to be keen on securing a permanent switch to the Karaiskakis Stadium.

The chance of playing Champions League football next season would provide too big a lure to resist for the 23-year-old after resigning himself to having no future at Ewood Park.

Don't you? Why is it not fair?

Because I think if you look at Souness' overall transfer record it would look very good. He made one big mistake (Grabbi) and one other largeish mistake (Ferguson, although really the injury makes that harder to judge) and apart from that it reads very well.

Because I think if you look at Souness' overall transfer record it would look very good. He made one big mistake (Grabbi) and one other largeish mistake (Ferguson, although really the injury makes that harder to judge) and apart from that it reads very well.

1. He inherited some good talent.

2. Grabbi 7m wasted, Ferguson 3m wasted in little over 12 months and another 3 wasted in the same deal with Amo. Cole 7m then simply gave him away! (I have always thought that GS's tenure had an ever present whiff of corruption.)

3. Bought some plonkers Yorke, Gresko, Matteo, Di Baggio, Di Pedro(?), Yordi spring to mind. On the other hand he brought in some superb players in Freidel, Tugay and Berko, and some stalwarts like Reid, Neill, Bert and Ped.

The stark truth about Souness is that he was irresponsible with money and performed far better as a manager when he had none. His tenure at Newcastle backs that up too. This is an odd and increasing phenomenon in Pre football imo.

2. Grabbi 7m wasted, Ferguson 3m wasted in little over 12 months and another 3 wasted in the same deal with Amo. Cole 7m then simply gave him away! (I have always thought that GS's tenure had an ever present whiff of corruption.)

3. Bought some plonkers Yorke, Gresko, Matteo, Di Baggio, Di Pedro(?), Yordi spring to mind. On the other hand he brought in some superb players in Freidel, Tugay and Berko, and some stalwarts like Reid, Neill, Bert and Ped.

The stark truth about Souness is that he was irresponsible with money and performed far better as a manager when he had none. His tenure at Newcastle backs that up too. This is an odd and increasing phenomenon in Pre football imo.

He inherited some good talent in Duff, Dunn and Jansen, but mostly utter dross. He turned us around in 18 months or so and got us back in the top flight. Before he turned up the only imminent change in league was downwards.

Baggio was free, Yordi was on loan and we didn't take up the option. Yorke was a good idea on paper to partner Cole, no one complained at the time, quite the opposite infact. Gresko was cheap enough. Nicko mentioned a while ago that Cole was nowhere near £7m, and we more than got our moneys worth out of him before letting him go. Ferguson looked like a good idea at the time too, a cultured, passing, hard working midfielder at the right age. His injury ruined him, he's never been the same since. You can't see that sort of thing coming.

This is up there with the people that criticise Hughes because he signed Berner and Mokoena. No manager is going to get it right all the time, especially when they have so little cash to play with.

Agreed on the increasing amount of managers who can't spend. Thats because you can sign 5 free transfers and have 1 turn out to be fantastic and the other 4 fade away and still be considered a genuis. However if you sign 5 players at £7m+ each, they all have to work out. If one doesn't, thats the one they'll all talk about.

3 million is a great offer - Rovers can't refuse. I like Matt, but I don't think he is Premier League quality, so moving to Greece will be a good move for him and for Rovers.

Best Matt moment - Scoring the decisive second goal against Manchester City in the 2007 FA Cup Quarter Final at Ewood. Closely followed by his goal at Wigan on New Years Day.

It's widely known that Souness had interests in Proactive, of which Cole was a member at the time of the transfer.

As pointed out, he only inherited three talented players and none of them were the finished article. He played a key role in the development of all three, Jansen in particular and managed to get the best out of them.

2. Grabbi was a poor signing, but his only truly poor one. Amo wasn't 3 million. Balance that all out with Friedel, Tugay, Neill, Reid, Thompson, Emerton...the list is very long in actual fact.

3. Yorke was good for one season. Gresko was great when on loan. Yordi actually did quite a good job when on loan.

His overall transfer record was very good.

As pointed out, he only inherited three talented players and none of them were the finished article. He played a key role in the development of all three, Jansen in particular and managed to get the best out of them.

2. Grabbi was a poor signing, but his only truly poor one. Amo wasn't 3 million. Balance that all out with Friedel, Tugay, Neill, Reid, Thompson, Emerton...the list is very long in actual fact.

3. Yorke was good for one season. Gresko was great when on loan. Yordi actually did quite a good job when on loan.

His overall transfer record was very good.

Was the only manager to get out of Dunn what he has the potential to give - under his management, Dunn was an England international. Under everyone else's, he has been potential squandered. Jansen we'll never know, but also only played well under him. Duff played well the first season or two with Chelsea, but has not hit his heights of the Souness era since.

Was the only manager to get out of Dunn what he has the potential to give - under his management, Dunn was an England international. Under everyone else's, he has been potential squandered.......

..............and even Souey lost patience with him eventually.

I wonder if Dunny wishes he had listened to his manager all those years ago?

Matt's playing in the Euros for the U21s isn't he? I'd suggest we should hold off until the conclusion of that before we make any decision. He might have a stormer and his price would go up.

I like Matty but I'm not sure he has enough about him for the Premiership. I wish him well in whatever he chooses.

Archived