BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

I can't believe Walcott is in that squad. He's a starter in the full national side when fit, all he's doing is needlessly taking up the valuable learning experience of someone like Derbyshire.

I couldn't really give a toss whether we win that competition or not, the sole purpose should be to prepare players for the full squad, and Walcott doesn't need that. I hope he does the right thing and pulls out.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe Walcott is in that squad. He's a starter in the full national side when fit, all he's doing is needlessly taking up the valuable learning experience of someone like Derbyshire.

I couldn't really give a toss whether we win that competition or not, the sole purpose should be to prepare players for the full squad, and Walcott doesn't need that. I hope he does the right thing and pulls out.

More ridiculous is the selection of Wellbeck infront of Derbyshire, unless of course Derbs is injured or something ?

Players who were U21 when the qualifying campaign started are eligible to play the tournament. Reason for that being so that those who get the team to the championship will also be able to play there. Makes it look a bit silly, but better than the alternative IMO.

The whole idea of playing for the under 21s is a stage towards playing for the full squad, this is stupidity and Pearce should be sacked for even asking, the players welfare is not being considered, nor the club who pay his wages, bloody stupid.

The whole idea of playing for the under 21s is a stage towards playing for the full squad, this is stupidity and Pearce should be sacked for even asking, the players welfare is not being considered, nor the club who pay his wages, bloody stupid.

Arsene hit the nail on the head he will get one week off this year, next year its SA and the world cup with one week off training in two years. He'll be knackered and won't perform, fatique and heat are a bad combo especially when your not used to it.

If he's in the main squad he should not be in the U21's, period.

£3m for a young international striker with a 70% goal record (on-loan) is a giveaway. Hopefully we can haggle the price up and include a sell-on fee.

It would be in the Premier League, but remember the Greek league is of a lower standard and has much less cash flowing through it. £4m would be the absolute max we can get for him I think, if we do that its an excellent bit of business.

It would be in the Premier League, but remember the Greek league is of a lower standard and has much less cash flowing through it. £4m would be the absolute max we can get for him I think, if we do that its an excellent bit of business.

Yet Olympiakos signed Diogo (only a year younger than Derbs) from Brazil for almost £8m - who also has a lower scoring ratio than Derbs.

Yet Olympiakos signed Diogo (only a year younger than Derbs) from Brazil for almost £8m - who also has a lower scoring ratio than Derbs.

It's not just about scoring records - a quick glance at Diogo's page suggests he's a second striker so wouldnt net as much anyway, and:

In July 2008, several teams had been attracted to Diogo's talents, including Arsenal , Chelsea , Liverpool , CSKA Moscow , Lokomotiv Moscow , AC Milan, Juventus, Fiorentina, Benfica, Real Madrid and Olympiakos.

Haven't seen him play but that level of talent would suggest he'd be worth double what Derbs would be worth. Remember how many Stead scored in his first half season with us...

Diogo had in career total 0.58 goals per game ratio prior to joining Olympiacos. That's double the ratio compared to Derbs. Granted, the premiership is a tougher league, but at the same time, goals aren't everything and we don't know anything about Diogo... :P

People are exaggerating Matt's ability a bit I think. I love the lad because he's talented and a local lad, great finisher, but he has some sides of his game which are extremely weak and those haven't improved at all since he's been with the first team imo (although he might've improved from his recent loan spell). £3m and a pretty hefty sell-on clause would be brilliant business imo though... for all parties. Would prefer him to stay but he doesn't seem willing to sit on the bench anymore.

Well, TGM seemed to be implying that the Greek league worked under a tight budget. But they can sign hopefuls from Brazil for £8m.

Derbs went to Greece and scored 5 in 7 games, without being a first-team regular. We should be doing everything to emphasize that and get the best coup possible.

No offence, but that attitude is one of the reasons that the England national side is so pathetically incapable in international tournaments.

You check the records and you will see that, generally, the successful youth international countries are also the ones who often win the senior tournaments. The Argie side that impressed so much (but fell earlier than expected) in the last World Cup had a core of players who had come through the ranks and won junior international competitions.

The best way of preparing youngsters for the real deal is to encourage them to develop their game and to learn to WIN. Our youth sides get ridiculed by other countries superior technical skill and the complacent managers bleat about "learning curves" and other such tripe to hide their own pathetic failings. And nothing changes - we are still hopelessly inferior at junior levels.

That Pearce is going to win and play well is a good thing for English football - which supposedly prides itself on its integrity and desire to play at full intensity whatever the circumstances.

No, we need Derbs back at Ewood! He is a good young English talent that is also a Rover. How often does that happen?

Irrelevant Mr E.

Those two aspects will not matter a jot to SA and nor should they. No room for sentiment or romance when you are managing a club with one of the smallest budgets in the Division.

Very true - but Derbs wouldnt join them.

To be fair - you have football for a team would could win the league, champs league footy, lots of sun & sea and your already seen as a hero. Its a no brainer for Matty. If we cant offer him 1st team football then Greece it is!

No offence, but that attitude is one of the reasons that the England national side is so pathetically incapable in international tournaments.

You check the records and you will see that, generally, the successful youth international countries are also the ones who often win the senior tournaments. The Argie side that impressed so much (but fell earlier than expected) in the last World Cup had a core of players who had come through the ranks and won junior international competitions.

The best way of preparing youngsters for the real deal is to encourage them to develop their game and to learn to WIN. Our youth sides get ridiculed by other countries superior technical skill and the complacent managers bleat about "learning curves" and other such tripe to hide their own pathetic failings. And nothing changes - we are still hopelessly inferior at junior levels.

That Pearce is going to win and play well is a good thing for English football - which supposedly prides itself on its integrity and desire to play at full intensity whatever the circumstances.

Don't you think its just papering over the cracks??

We'll have to wait for the tournement but we have germany and spain to get past, finland shouldn't pose a threat. Belerus are dark horses and serbia very under valued at 8 to 1.

You'll notice none of the other countries have say called up Fabregas for example. All we are doing is showing that we have a lack of talent coming through.

What I mean is once they progress to the full squad and are an active part of that squad, they don't pull them back to the U21's (they have progressed beyond this level) they promote from below.

The spainish team is very strong but only because they have a strong youth set-up across the country, they are No1 in the world for this currently.

Walcott is a starter in the first 11 for england, but yet we still need him for the U21's.

Archived