BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No room for sentiment in football though, If he wants it bad enough then he has to take any chances given. He will be back in training with the boys this week - time for him to impress Sam if he really wants it!

I just hope we don't regret it like we did with Beattie.

Exactly how I feel. He has only really had bit parts at Ewood. The only time he was in the side and motoring was the lead up to the FA Cup semi and then he was promptly dropped. He has a good scoring track record with the Under 21's and given a proper run with us I feel he should improve to the required level.

All this, however, is irrelevant because with Sam's way of doing things I don't feel he will feature anyway. The lad does not strike me as being thick by any means. He will know what's on the cards and with a possible move to the suburbs of Athens and a lifestyle that that affords I know what I would do in his position!

No room for sentiment in football though, If he wants it bad enough then he has to take any chances given. He will be back in training with the boys this week - time for him to impress Sam if he really wants it!

With RSC all but out of the door, Roberts struggling to hit a cow's arse with a banjo and Benni's effort being questioned by many Rovers supporters I reckon Matt's our best bet.

Call Benni all you like but he scores goals, Roberts also causes alot more problems for defences that Matty.

Its like Sam said Derbs needs to show more than being able to convert the odd chance - he needs to close down the ball more, maybe add abit of physical strength to his game and also he needs to learn to look up more and be more aware of his colleagues.

Matty has found his level and that is either the championship or playing in a league like greece. He is not good enough for the prem and he will never be unless all of a sudden he adds more strengths to his game.

He is to wafer thin and gets pushed off the ball to easy in the premership and thats why he will neve be able to cut it in the prem league.

Matty has found his level and that is either the championship or playing in a league like greece. He is not good enough for the prem and he will never be unless all of a sudden he adds more strengths to his game.

next year if he moves his level will be chamions league. :rolleyes:

next year if he moves his level will be chamions league. :rolleyes:

it may well be, but Olympicos never really do much though in the champions league do they. Even a club like Burnley will manage to get in the champions league if they were playing that league!!!

I'd like Matt to stay, he is a true Rover and the more of them we have at the club the better, some say there is no room for sentiment in football, to me that's ridiculous, that's what being a football fan is based on.

I'm not certain if he is good enough or not to be first choice at some point. Sometimes he looks like he is and other times not, and he had a paricularly bad little spell just before he left. On the other hand I would guess his goals per minute ratio whilst playing up front is pretty good and he is rated as one of the best young English strikers by the U-21 set up.

At the end of the day though I think Sam doesn't rate him, as shown by his comments during the Q&A a few weeks back. It's a shame though, we all complain about players who don't care, I wish we weren't going to lose one who obviously does.

I'd like Matt to stay, he is a true Rover and the more of them we have at the club the better, some say there is no room for sentiment in football, to me that's ridiculous, that's what being a football fan is based on.

I'm not certain if he is good enough or not to be first choice at some point. Sometimes he looks like he is and other times not, and he had a paricularly bad little spell just before he left. On the other hand I would guess his goals per minute ratio whilst playing up front is pretty good and he is rated as one of the best young English strikers by the U-21 set up.

At the end of the day though I think Sam doesn't rate him, as shown by his comments during the Q&A a few weeks back. It's a shame though, we all complain about players who don't care, I wish we weren't going to lose one who obviously does.

He did have a bad spell before he left true, stuck out on the wing, hardly his natural position.

it may well be, but Olympicos never really do much though in the champions league do they. Even a club like Burnley will manage to get in the champions league if they were playing that league!!!

last season they managed qualify from there group, last 16 in the champions league beaten by the runner-up, dont think you can compare them with burnley

its silly, lots of people seam to be thinking that the only reason matty is doing will is because the league must be rubbish. granted its not spain or iEPL, but its not sunday league.

Roberts also causes alot more problems for defences that Matty.

He may do physically and he creates chances but he tends to miss them.

Matt doesn't have the physical aspect to his game but he has the knack of being in the right place and unmarked.

Goals to games they are pretty similar.

Matt: 10 in 63

JR: 14 in 69

My biggest worry is that we lose Santa Cruz, which is a big loss anyway, but then on top of that we have to replace Derbyshire as well. Why not concentrate on the areas that work is most needed on, rather than create a problem where there isn't one.

Guest Vinjay606

He gets a lot of attention considering he's not likely to ever play for BRFC again. No room for sentiment not that I have any towards him anyway.

Paul Robinson must feel appreciated for his recent form particularly against Wigan Athletic. Looking at that link below his LET article has 7 comments compared to over 40 for the golden boy.

:rover: can't believe we are thinking of letting derbyshire go,if lardarse had not let him go out on loan he would have played a big part in the last few months,lets see derbs or samba up front :unsure::brfcsmilie:

:rover: can't believe we are thinking of letting derbyshire go,if lardarse had not let him go out on loan he would have played a big part in the last few months,lets see derbs or samba up front :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Let's see: Derbs or Diouf & Givet?

Let's see: Derbs or Diouf & Givet?

:rover: now your telling me a club that has 40 million coming in every season through tv rights,has to send a player out on loan so we can bring in two players,get a grip :brfcsmilie:

That's rubbish. Who told you that....?

Sparky Marky its not rubbish, Sam Allardyce said that to answer your question in an audience with Sam, raising money for the disabled supporters club.

Any idea what wage Vogel was on as opposed to Derbs ??

Vogel, Moko, Tugay, Roque, Ooijer off our wage list come summer.

We should definitly keep Derbs IMO, ok so maybe he'll never be top 4 quality but he definitly does a job. If we wanted to get rid of him we could have easily sold him. Championship teams and Prem strugglers love nothing more than surplus prem players so selling him would have been the least problem.

We've loaned him out, we want him to gain more first team experience and within a couple of months he's become an icon !

There's nothing more he can do

Its a disgrace if we let Matty go without a long run alongside Big Sam's 2 metre Centre Forward next season.

And then Gally will go despite never being tried in midfield.....and then who starred last night for Rochdale (Answer: our next Goalkeeper:Frank Fielding who is on loan again)

There are easier ways of reducing the wages bill.

Archived