BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

• Backroom

I think Matty should definately stay in Greece. Nice lifestyle, more money (I assume), better weather, easier opposition. I think sometimes Derbyshire's performances are looked upon with blue-and-white tinted glasses, particularly considering he's a local lad. I wish him every success, wherever he's at, but I don't think at this point at time he's premiership standard... and we can't afford to wait another two or three seasons to find out if he ever will be.

He should enjoy Greece and take an opportunity most people from his background will never get.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just quote the above to confirm my belief in Derbs' mental strength. He is inferior to Jon Stead, in terms of skill and, in fact, many aspects of the game. However, Derbyshire has the invaluable quality of not being easily downcast by failures.

Very much like Michael Owen, imo.

Can't disagree with that Rover6

Derbs is yet another quality striker who's fallen victim to the strength before skill that exists in the Prem. And unless we bring in some quality creativity and change our style somewhat then he'll struggle again. He isn't the kind of striker who can feed off scraps, so the Jason Roberts of this world will always get the nod ahead of him.

I give him no chance of returning, and honestly its mutually beneficial.

We all know he is not premiership starting standard, dont let a successful stint in greece convince you of otherwise.

Ill be over there in a couple of weeks for a few months so ill get the official word from the supporters on what they think of him. If the supporters want him to stay then he will. I have been to Karaiskaki stadium and Ewood, i know which one i would rather play in week in week out.

It will most likely be beneficial for both sides. Matty does not seem to be likely to become a first team regular for us in the Prem and he does not really seem like a Sam-style forward anyway.

If both Roque and Matty (as well as probably Gally) go we really do desperately need at least two replacements...what´s the betting we will just get the one? Don´t rule out Samba up front next season just yet...

I think Matty should definately stay in Greece. Nice lifestyle, more money (I assume), better weather, easier opposition. I think sometimes Derbyshire's performances are looked upon with blue-and-white tinted glasses, particularly considering he's a local lad. I wish him every success, wherever he's at, but I don't think at this point at time he's premiership standard... and we can't afford to wait another two or three seasons to find out if he ever will be.

I can accept most of your points except that one. As a footballer, surely you want to compete against the very best? And outside the Champions League, Derbyshire has taken a big step-down domestically.

If Rovers want him, Derbyshire stays - its that simple.

Derbyshire is a local lad and wants to play for us, thats still the case, but if Sam cant offer him plenty of 1st team opportunites then he will leave.

That comes from a member of his family.

Try listening to Matt's recent interviews on Five Live.

Seems like an tough choice to me, a decision between sitting around Ewood or playing football in Greece. Not a very difficult decision really. It's obvious Allardyce doesn't see a role for Derbyshire and he won't be back.

Guest Kamy100

This morning's Lancashire Telegraph reports that Birmingham are targetting Derbyshire, however they believe that the striker's first preference is to move to Greece on a permenant basis.

Playing in the Greek sunshine, a boatride away from some of the best island beaches in the world, European Cup beckoning, team playing short sharp passes to his feet, average defenders, Athenien booty everywhere, worshiped as a Greek god, OR

Hey Matty, come back to a tough season here, you'll be mainly on the bench, chasing long balls for the last 15mins - if picked, rain, hail, bitter fans away, home fans who think you're worse than Jon Stead!

I know where I'd be!

I think he's spent most of his loan spell on the bench in Greece so no change there then.

As I have said many times he is a super sub type who is awful when played from the start. Nothing wrong with that of course but lets not pretend that he is some kind of undiscovered and unappreciated superstar please.

• Backroom
I can accept most of your points except that one. As a footballer, surely you want to compete against the very best? And outside the Champions League, Derbyshire has taken a big step-down domestically.

That should and no doubt is his aim, but I don't think he's got the quality to compete against the very best, and he may also suspect this of himself. His best bet might be with Olympiakos, where he may have an easier domestic season but WILL get to play in the Champions League. Will he ever get that chance in the Premiership? I doubt it.

I think he's spent most of his loan spell on the bench in Greece so no change there then.

As I have said many times he is a super sub type who is awful when played from the start.

It doesn't help when he spent most of his time out on the wing .

People tend to forget that these days there is no such thing as a first 11 with the subs only ever getting 10 minutes at the end if someone gets injured - it's much more of a squad game . If Derbyshire wasn't in Greece he'd have played regularly enough .

MD should try and get back into the prem at the first opportunity and prove himself in the best league in Europe - he'll regret not doing so if he stays in the minor league of Greece . A change of club might be his best option but he should give it a go at least .

• Backroom

I think it'd be wise for him to spend a couple of seasons in Greece showing what he can do, getting some Champions League experience under his belt, then maybe looking at moving to a better league.

Matty should go to Greece, playing regularly will do him the world of good and champions league can't be all bad. Its a good country to live in and its great when the tourists come!!!

I still think he should have been given a run alongside RSC (when he was fit), but times moved on we need money and his fee would cover most of Givets.

I just don't believe that Derbyshire is good enough for the Premier League and it looks as though he's found his level in Greece. So let's forget the fact he's a local lad, thank him for his efforts and let him make the move permanent.

I would certainly agree with a sell on clause.

Many are of the opinion Matty can't cut in the Prem, maybe his game is more suited to one of the other leagues in Europe.

If after a season or two in Greece he suddenly becomes on interest to one of the big clubs in Germany, Italy or spain for instance, we need to make sure we get a share of the spoils, 99.9% would not be to greedy IMO. :lol:

I just don't believe that Derbyshire is good enough for the Premier League and it looks as though he's found his level in Greece. So let's forget the fact he's a local lad, thank him for his efforts and let him make the move permanent.

Spot on.

Archived