BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few reasons why he may not be able to be recalled. For one, they may have only accepted the deal on the ground that an option to recall was no included. The second reason, which is more likely, is that on top of contributing towards his wages (possibly even taking on all of them) they will also have paid a fee for the loan, which means that we cannot recall him. If this weren't the case a player could be loaned out for a deal of wages plus a one million fee only to be recalled a week later.

:rover: i can't understand why he can't be recalled now,lardarse did one of his famous deals <_<:brfcsmilie:

The simple rules of business fail you obviously. Why would Olympiacos enter into a deal where they pay us and then we just recall him a week later, leaving them a striker short. We did well out of the deal at the time but the injuries to Rocky and Roberts have made it not look so good.

Matthew Derbyshire's value and confidence will also have increased following a very successful spell.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Olympiacos' season seems to end on 28th April (Wigan weekend). Will Matty then return and be able to play?

Yes he will be able to return and play. The loan details only specify until the end of the Greek season. I just cheered up a bucketload!!! thanx for pointin out this wee flaw modes!! and u'll be seeing my flag at stoke for sure!!

By the looks of it Olympiakos have a cup final on may 2nd, so its unlikely he would be back for a few days after that

ah yes i failed to spot the drop down menu. Still that means he'll be back for pompey, chel and wba.

:rover: i can't understand why he can't be recalled now,lardarse did one of his famous deals <_<:brfcsmilie:

If you had not gone into exile in a huff you'd have seen that Derbyshire was absolutely awful in the first month of Sam Allardyces tenure. From handing City two precious points on a plate to being just about the worst player of the 22 on the park v Blyth Spartans.

He showed SA absolutely nothing worth keeping.

Can Lee or someone in the know-how confirm that?

Could his loan be until the end of the window?????

It would be good to see derb's in a rovers shirt again, what can I say I have a soft spot for anyone who loves our club player wise.

I am hopeful his stint in Greece will benefit hihm for us, if not he's in the european eye and we should be able to get decent money for him.

As long as his loan contract has a date in it he can come back and play for us if not, tough pooh.

If you people think that MD is going to return from greece and be our late season saviour then you are seriously deluded. having said that he is definitely better than Samba starting up front.

He might be OK in emergency upfront WITH Samba though. Hadn't you thought of that? Having said that neither are really Prem standard but he might have got much nearer to in support of Big Chris than the rest of the team at Lpool.

If you people think that MD is going to return from greece and be our late season saviour then you are seriously deluded. having said that he is definitely better than Samba starting up front.

He didnt do the business when he was here, and I dont see it being any different in the future. I hope to be proved wrong on this one, but i cant see it!!

Not sure these two posts are really bearing in mind our current situation. I don't think there's many of us that believe that Derbyshire is the long term answer to anything, but he always has it in him to nick the odd goal. In the games that we're talking about him possibly featuring in, that odd goal could be absolutely crucial. I'd rather have him than not.

If you had not gone into exile in a huff you'd have seen that Derbyshire was absolutely awful in the first month of Sam Allardyces tenure. From handing City two precious points on a plate to being just about the worst player of the 22 on the park v Blyth Spartans.

He showed SA absolutely nothing worth keeping.

:rover: both them games were on tv :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Not sure these two posts are really bearing in mind our current situation. I don't think there's many of us that believe that Derbyshire is the long term answer to anything, but he always has it in him to nick the odd goal. In the games that we're talking about him possibly featuring in, that odd goal could be absolutely crucial. I'd rather have him than not.

Completely agree.

Hopefully he can play after the loans over.

Nicko,

Don't suppose you know the details??????

Guest Vinjay606

What difference would he make? Only talent he has is sucking up to the fans who continue to herald him as the club's golden boy.

He's an average championship level player at best. Not some messiah.

The LET need to focus on our own players. I couldn't care less what he's doing in Greece. Probably and hopefully he will be sold in the summer.

Could his loan be until the end of the window?????

It seems doubtful, I'm not sure why Olympiakos would want to continue paying his wages when their season has finished.

Still, it would be nice to know whether he could play those remaining games. It might be a bit pointless by then though if Roberts and/or Roque are back.

As someone further back said, Derbs isnt the long term answer, but could get that crucial goal to keep us up, kicking him head-first into rovers folklore! He may not like his super-sub tag, but its how he is best used. I think we ought to keep Matty first and foremost over our other strikers in the summer (if we have that luxury).

He's the second best finisher at the club, but even so, I'd rather have him than our very best finisher, Benni McDonalds!

I for one do not believe the story about the wage bill - he must have been one of the lowest earners in the entire first-team squad. Surely we could have shipped out Zurab, who hardly ever features

I suspect he was packed off as punishment for his City blunder as an early sign of Sam establishing his rule, not unlike Gray was made the scapegoat by Hughes of the Chelsea debacle in his 2nd or 3rd game in charge and then sent to Siberia.

Any loan fee for Zurab would have been far lower than a fee for an England U21 striker though. Someone mentioned £450k a few posts back which seems about right for a half-season loan.

Go and read the story about the Savage transfer - it makes perfect sense that someone would have to go before the Diouf/Givet deals could happen.

Archived