BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

I think people will be a little frustrated or angry to know that a fee of around £2.75million has already been agreed to sell Derbyshire, I am certain this was reported just before he left.

thats not a bad price for someone who isnt good enough to be a premier league starter.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can's say I remember any mention of a fee.

Where's Nicko when you need him, need I ask, probably in the board room down the road. :rolleyes:

I'm 99% certain Olympiakos will have paid for the loan deal, we're not in a position to be charitable.

I suspect Derbyshire was sacrificed off the wage bill to accomodate Diouf but we certainly could have done with him in the 16 today. Given Sam doesn't seem to rate Carlos we had no attacking options whatsoever available to us off the bench.

After watching some of them videos on youtube of matty im not sure he would want to leave the great atmosphere at the stadiums over there, not to mention the standard of living must be half decent too, blue skies , sunny beaches and so on, unless he misses the grey skies and donkey rides.

I suspect Derbyshire was sacrificed off the wage bill to accomodate Diouf but we certainly could have done with him in the 16 today. Given Sam doesn't seem to rate Carlos we had no attacking options whatsoever available to us off the bench.

I agree Rev. Our bench looks very barren in attacking skill when RSC is out. Matty could have been a bit of a super sub in these difficult times. Hopefully Judge will come back next season a better player and at least offer some options in midfield. he scored against our other favourite team today.

After watching some of them videos on youtube of matty im not sure he would want to leave the great atmosphere at the stadiums over there, not to mention the standard of living must be half decent too, blue skies , sunny beaches and so on, unless he misses the grey skies and donkey rides.

memories of Blackpool beach.

I think people will be a little frustrated or angry to know that a fee of around £2.75million has already been agreed to sell Derbyshire, I am certain this was reported just before he left.

We would of probably got 500-750k for the loan too. Only bit im slightly disappointed with is that I think we could have maybe got slightly more cash. Apart from that - I cant understand why people would be angry - he just isnt good enough.

I don't see peoples problems with derbyshire!! If he was on our bench yesterday, he REALLY cudv made the difference!! The West Ham defence has plenty of wit, but NO pace whatsoever!! I think we need to REALLY bring matty (if we keep him) and alan judge through to the 1st team next year. If not derbs, then Nicky Blackman. We are in need of an unpredictable striker upfront, who nobody in our league knows about. Look what happened with Stead, and Derbs when he first came thru!!

I personally think it will be a bad thing to let Derbs go in the summer. Our ONLY striker with real pace. Santa is fast, but Matty is like LIGHTNING!! AND an excellent finisher.

He scored again in the 24th minute of last night's 3-2 away win against Panionios. Olympiakos create that many chances you would expect any striker to score goals when playing for them, although having said that, he has equally if not more prolific than Diogo, Olympiakos' 9Million (i think) Euro striker.

Like his goal against PAOK he is clearly offside. But this is Greece and olympiakos always get the rub of the green.

Derbs can finish better than Roberts on the whole. Hopefully this Blackman can take over Roberts' role in the squad, and become a better striker. And if we stay up I hope Matt gets a good chance to show what he can do, after a very successful spell in Greece.

After todays missed chances, it's time for a return to Ewood for Matt IMO.

BS says RSC could be out for a couple of weeks yet.

We need a third striker, to change things around in the last 20 min or so.

We don't play for a couple of weeks.

Derbyshire really isn't that quick. He's nippy at best.

Agreed on that. If you want quick - look at Agbonlawhore & young - not derbs!

Whilst he would be a decent sub to have available (now that roque is out), he could have been the difference between getting givet or not. Which makes more of a stamp on our side? I know who id choose.

Also as for U-21s - how does that work, isnt he 24 or something now??

Agreed on that. If you want quick - look at Agbonlawhore & young - not derbs!

Whilst he would be a decent sub to have available (now that roque is out), he could have been the difference between getting givet or not. Which makes more of a stamp on our side? I know who id choose.

Also as for U-21s - how does that work, isnt he 24 or something now??

Totally agree - he has good pace - but isn't lightening quick. When people were comparing him to Owen (when he first burst on the scene) - his lack of genuine pace is what was/is sadly lacking from his game - otherwise we possibly would have had a real star on our hands.

It is a little like Carlos - if he had any pace I am sure he would play more matches - and would be a real match winner.

You can improve technique, ball control etc - but if you haven't got pace in the EPL - you will always struggle.

Totally agree - he has good pace - but isn't lightening quick. When people were comparing him to Owen (when he first burst on the scene) - his lack of genuine pace is what was/is sadly lacking from his game - otherwise we possibly would have had a real star on our hands.

It is a little like Carlos - if he had any pace I am sure he would play more matches - and would be a real match winner.

You can improve technique, ball control etc - but if you haven't got pace in the EPL - you will always struggle.

Derbyshire has the all important first yard or two of pace but his top speed is nothing special and he is easily caught over longer distances. Hence one of his weakness in wing play.

He scored again in the 24th minute of last night's 3-2 away win against Panionios. Olympiakos create that many chances you would expect any striker to score goals when playing for them, although having said that, he has equally if not more prolific than Diogo, Olympiakos' 9Million (i think) Euro striker.

Like his goal against PAOK he is clearly offside. But this is Greece and olympiakos always get the rub of the green.

Wow. I usually try not to slam referees at every mistake they do, but that decision is just shameless...

phew!!

not many rover fans over here in texas, but one of em bagged a hattrick tonight while sportin the blue n white halves! ;)

not really sure why i'm posting this here, i think it's still just the adrenaline running through my veins, but whatever, i had to tell some other rovers!

now i need a shower...

Archived