BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

From what i gather he won't be playing tonight.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/117/greece/200...s-vs-olympiakos

"New loan signing Matt Derbyshire hasn’t been included in Ernesto Valverde’s travelling party to the OAKA Spiros Louis Stadium, the Spaniard having apparently not included the Blackburn Rovers striker in his initial plans for the derby clash."

Well I guess I can understand if its the first game and he hasn't trained with the squad much but I hope he hasn't been sent there to be backup, he could have done that here just as well!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could be a good move for him. He hasn't been getting as many games as he would like and which would improve his game. We simply haven't been in the position to give him more game time. He can go to a weaker league, but which is still a good standard and hopefully play some more games, score some goals and come back an improved player. Good luck to him.

out and out striker by looks of it, commentary is like the fast show, instead of chrissy waddle its matty derbyshire.

right side of a 3 pronged attack swapping with the central guy i'd say having watched a bit more, losing 1-0 with a couple of minutes to go

He should have played ninety for us yesterday and shot us through to the next round.

With Matty away along with Gally, Tony Kane and Alan Judge, and having watched that inept cup-tie performance, I'm losing the will to keep following the club.

Very despondent.

He should have played ninety for us yesterday and shot us through to the next round.

With Matty away along with Gally, Tony Kane and Alan Judge, and having watched that inept cup-tie performance, I'm losing the will to keep following the club.

Very despondent.

If you're really advocating putting a team out with those four in the starting lineup (on current form) then you should find another team to follow. The thing missing from our club at the moment is a mentality that says we refuse to be beaten, and by club I include 'supporters' as well. Following BRFC is a privilege as far as I'm concerned. The sooner we/you start observing the positives and stop carping on about the negatives the sooner we'll start achieving things again.

• 2 weeks later...

It's make-or-break time for him with this loan, I feel. If this goes wrong I can see him going into a Stead-like state of decline and ending up as a Championship journeyman. It would be a shame because there was a lot of early promise, if only as an impact player from the bench.

The best strikers start to get regular football at even younger. Look at Rooney or the few new kids that Everton are now pushing through.

That Blackman fella should be given a chance on our bench, now that we can have 7 subs - just to see if he's got anything. Then if we are actually winning a game with ease, we can give him some prem experience.

That Blackman fella should be given a chance on our bench, now that we can have 7 subs - just to see if he's got anything. Then if we are actually winning a game with ease, we can give him some prem experience.

The seven subs rule would have been better if 2 subs had to be home-grown and under 19 years old.

As for Blackman - I've only seen him twice - but he looks way short of Premiership standard at the moment.

If this goes wrong I can see him going into a Stead-like state of decline and ending up as a Championship journeyman. It would be a shame because there was a lot of early promise, if only as an impact player from the bench.

I think you underestimate not only Matt Derbyshire's game but also his mental strength.

He went to Plymouth and scored a hat-trick for their reserves within days of arrival. He was then shunned by Tony Pulis. Despite the setback he went and plundered goals at Wrexham. So, Derbs has already shown that he can overcome disappointment. At Rovers too, he has suffered the repeated disappointment of not cutting it as a starter - but he's always come back as a sub and scored the odd goal. The lad has backbone and quiet self-belief which belies his unspectacular ability. He may well fail in Greece - after all, the fans probably expect a lot from him and, let's face it, he's no genius. However, no way will he atrophy into a journeyman.

Jon Stead has more technical ability than Derbyshire - however, Steadinho's mental strength is weak and with the technical, ball to feet, game he plays, it was inevitable that once his self-belief went, his game would disappear. Incidentally, I recently saw some of Stead's goals for Huddersfield in their promotion season and I realised why he was attracting attention. The guy was doing step-overs, running at defenders, playing through balls and scoring from long-range. He had/has ability.

It would be a shame because there was a lot of early promise, if only as an impact player from the bench.

I think MD's best position for the club is as impact player. I don't know if he would be happy to settle for this, but, without knowing the stats, he has certainly seemed to have scored quite a number of goals for us from that position. A friend argues Allardyce had to move somebody on before he could get Diouf in on loan and that's why MD went out on loan.

I think he certainly has a role to play for us. If we were to allow him to move on, we would need to ensure we replaced him with a better alternative.

Archived