BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

What Big Sam said tonight about Matty was,

1. he wanted first team football

2. Derbyshire moving out allowed some financial room for Givet and Diuff to come in.

3. You cannot carry someone in a team in todays game that can only score goals, they have to be able to contribute to the team when the team is out of possesion.

people cant moan about that. Both men have been very, very good since joining.

They have had more of an impact than Matty would've

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3. You cannot carry someone in a team in todays game that can only score goals, they have to be able to contribute to the team when the team is out of possesion.

Does Sam apply this logic to Benni McCarthy ?

I don't think Allardyce likes Benni that much, he just doesn't have any other options upfront at the moment and McCarthy is undeniably a better player than Derbyshire (and I doubt anyone would take him out on loan given the shape he was in around Christmas).

Does Sam apply this logic to Benni McCarthy ?

Fair point, but on the other hand benni is a supremely talented footballer who is a brilliant finisher. On his day he is world class. Derbyshire can't touch him for quality, it is hard to ardue with that.

If you are going to carry one player you would rather it is McCarthy than Derbs.

Ha ha how can people compare Derbyshire to Benni? A complete different class.

Maybe the 'other' thing he possesses that Derbs doesnt is that he knows how to hold the ball up - unlike Matty when we lost 2 points against City.

Maybe the 'other' thing he possesses that Derbs doesnt is that he knows how to hold the ball up - unlike Matty when we lost 2 points against City.

Derbyshire has got a good work-rate though. He lacks any sort of strength to hold people off and sometimes his passing can be a let down. Still think he's the best natural finisher we've got, if he can improv the other parts of his game he can be a top quality player in my opinion.

Congratulations to Matt Derbyshire. Scored quite a few goals for Olympiacos and he's had a positive impact on them winning their league with his goals. Nice to see a Rover picking up a winners medal and a British player doing well abroad in a pretty tough environment.

He will come back to us a better player!

Also, going to a foreign country with a different language/culture must've been hard enough, but at his age and with newborn twins etc, shows real courage and determination. It certainly beats going out on loan in the championship!

Matty, I salute you and as Ian Rush once said "It was like being in a foreign country!"

I noticed that on Sat. For the last couple of minutes EHD's only intention was to take the ball to the corner flag.

I hope he comes back a better player and he gets a chance. If Roberts gets so much time on the pitch with his abilities, surely Matt deserves a go.

Derbyshire should be offered 1st Div players wages cos thats what he is. If he takes them then he's an OK 4th choice or bench man. Unfortunately for him he timed his worst ever spell to coincide with Sams arrival. The city aberration and the performance at Blyth were just amateurish.

• Backroom

I personally hope he doesn't come back, he gets a lot of backing from the fans cause he's a local lad but in reality is bang average at present. If he was foreign he'd get a lot more abuse.

The fans chanting for him on saturday made me laugh, I for one was pleased we didn't have him on the pitch in the last few minutes.

That being said if he does come back lets hope the trips done him good and he can step his game up. Would be nice to be proved wrong.

I hope he doesn't come back. What TCO said is correct, if he was foreign we'd be slagging him off but because he's local he's some sort of Messiah.

He's not good enough for the Premiership, if he was he wouldn't be in Greece right now. The Greek league is nothing compared to the Premiership, yes they have a few good clubs in the UEFA Cup/Champions League but below that most teams wouldn't be able to compete in the Championship. I can only remember one good goal by Matty and that were versus Boro' last season, the rest have all been tap-ins. Yes, i understand it takes instinct to get into the position for a tap-in but he doesn't offer anything else other than that. He's rather slow for a striker, rather weak for a striker and doesn't have the finese to beat top central defences from the get-go. Impact player in a game that were chasing, i could see him as a 4th choice, other than that i really cannot say i'd miss him if he left permantely.

To sum it up, nice local lad, great story behind his success but he's just not good enough and it is a true shame given his story.

Guest Vinjay606
I hope he doesn't come back. What TCO said is correct, if he was foreign we'd be slagging him off but because he's local he's some sort of Messiah.

Absolutely right. He's done nothing to earn the level of reaction he gets. People like Jason Wilcox were treated terribly by many fans for years and never got anywhere near the level of popular reception he receives.

Hopefully he will be sold in the summer.

Absolutely right. He's done nothing to earn the level of reaction he gets. People like Jason Wilcox were treated terribly by many fans for years and never got anywhere near the level of popular reception he receives.

Hopefully he will be sold in the summer.

Derbyshire is popular because he has never been a regular in the side and because he is a striker. His game has never been exposed to the boo boys. If he was playing weekly and putting in shoddy performances, he'd hear the flak. Besides, strikers have it easier than just about every other position (aside from defensive midfield, imo). A striker can miss chances, miscontrol the ball or simply be invisible but he need only score an important goal and all the crapness is forgotten.

Compare this to a winger. People are analysing a winger's performance whenever he has the ball. He's expected to perform with every play.

I do firmly believe that after the defensive midfield position, playing the striker role is least demanding position on the pitch.

Big Sam stated that Matty has only managed to get himself on the Olympiacos bench so, he cant be that good, for me hes been a massive disappointment over the past TWO seasons showing absolutely no sign of improving so its got to be... bye, bye, Matty, unless hes a very lucky boy and circumstances give him another opportunity and he takes that chance.

Is this the same Matt Derbyshire that has scored consistantly in greece and for the under 21s. When he plays for us he scores important goals and wins us games. All this rubbish about him not doing anything else but score is just that, if your paying the lad as a striker you want him to do that and furthermore he won't do that if you insist on playing him as a right winger.

Matt Derbyshire has talent, I'd rather he was scoring goals for us than against us and he would go to another premiership club.

Is this the same Matt Derbyshire that has scored consistantly in greece and for the under 21s. When he plays for us he scores important goals and wins us games. All this rubbish about him not doing anything else but score is just that, if your paying the lad as a striker you want him to do that and furthermore he won't do that if you insist on playing him as a right winger.

Matt Derbyshire has talent, I'd rather he was scoring goals for us than against us and he would go to another premiership club.

Thats easy to say, sounds good but in reality modes, the obstacles and difficulties premiership opposition pose is far too great for Matty Derbyshire, sure we'd all love Matty over an import and have an empathy with Matty but if he doesnt want to sit on the bench what can the club do hes not shown enough strength to start a full game.

Archived