BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

What difference would he make? Only talent he has is sucking up to the fans who continue to herald him as the club's golden boy.

He's an average championship level player at best. Not some messiah.

Probably and hopefully he will be sold in the summer.

Matt Derbyshire loves the club and would give everything for us, which is more than can be said for some players currently on our books. He has a fantastic talent for popping up and scoring vital goals that win us points, and points keep you up. He would be of far more use than having no strikers or playing a CB up front.

He would score for fun in the championship, remember that's a league that made Bobby Zamora look like Ronaldo. He has scored 17 goals in 72 games for Rovers and there's probably a 50/50 split in games that he played on the right wing.

Derbyshire should be a squad player for us, but with Santa Cruz more than likely leaving in the summer it would be foolish to weaken ourselves even further.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mistake of the season was allowing Matt to go on loan. Totally unbelievable. Considering Benni's lack of motivation and general lethargy. Roberts generally can't hit a cows arse with a banjo and we all knew Roque wanted to go so his attitude was always going to be iffy....England U21 with a record of scoring important goals late on in the game...pacey, good finisher.... :unsure::unsure:

What difference would he make? Only talent he has is sucking up to the fans who continue to herald him as the club's golden boy.

He's an average championship level player at best. Not some messiah.

The LET need to focus on our own players. I couldn't care less what he's doing in Greece. Probably and hopefully he will be sold in the summer.

Sorry mate, but you are a total knob. :closedeyes:

• Backroom

I'd agree with that Hughesy. Always thought of Derbs as a decent championship player, that said he does have a knack for being in the right place at the right time however his finishing skills are vastly over rated on here.

Still hope he can prove me wrong but if he comes back for the last couple of games it's last chance saloon for him.

Call BENNI all you want - FACT is, he is still our top goalscorer and has more talent in 1 leg than Derbyshire has in total.

That is correct - sadly Bennie isn't using his talent at the moment very well. He is a fantastic player, when he wants to be. But when he dosent, then he is nothing short of a lazy, waste of talent, over paid footballer. Rovers cannot aford any player like that, this season or next.

I don't think there is any argument to be had, comparing Benni and Derbs is not the real point here and now.

According to todays press reports Sam say's JR is closer than RSC to a return, so I'm guessing at JR for the City game then maybe Pompey for RSC.

My point is this that neither will be match fit, even though Sam has said he will not risk either until they are 100%, on the other hand Derbs barring an injury will be, which to me gives us far more options, as and when the strikers start to run out of steam.

We need every bit of fire power we can muster for the remaining games, one single goal could well determine where we are playing our football next season. If Derbs comes back and scores the only goal of the game against WBA and we stay up, I couldn't give a flying f@@k who is the most talented.

We seem to have forgot Derbs was joint top scorer for us when he left.

Ok he cocked up against City, name me a player this season that's not cost us points in a game.

That is correct - sadly Bennie isn't using his talent at the moment very well. He is a fantastic player, when he wants to be. But when he dosent, then he is nothing short of a lazy, waste of talent, over paid footballer. Rovers cannot aford any player like that, this season or next.

Benni is a 'box' player.

We have to give him the ball in the penalty area and he will do the business. Outside the box he doesn't offer much.

I suspect he was packed off as punishment for his City blunder as an early sign of Sam establishing his rule, not unlike Gray was made the scapegoat by Hughes of the Chelsea debacle in his 2nd or 3rd game in charge and then sent to Siberia.

Not sure why Derbyshire gets all the blame on here for the Citeh fiasco, the first goal was the real killer which gave Citeh a glimmer of hope and that was down to Ooijer breaking the cardinal rule of defending by heading the ball across his own area.

:blink:

I don't think there is any argument to be had, comparing Benni and Derbs is not the real point here and now.

According to todays press reports Sam say's JR is closer than RSC to a return, so I'm guessing at JR for the City game then maybe Pompey for RSC.

My point is this that neither will be match fit, even though Sam has said he will not risk either until they are 100%, on the other hand Derbs barring an injury will be, which to me gives us far more options, as and when the strikers start to run out of steam.

We need every bit of fire power we can muster for the remaining games, one single goal could well determine where we are playing our football next season. If Derbs comes back and scores the only goal of the game against WBA and we stay up, I couldn't give a flying f@@k who is the most talented.

We seem to have forgot Derbs was joint top scorer for us when he left.

Ok he cocked up against City, name me a player this season that's not cost us points in a game.

:rover: roberts has cost us 6 points this season :angry::brfcsmilie:

:rover: he can't play for us again this season,it;s a bloody nightmare :brfcsmilie:

:rover: he can't play for us again this season,it;s a bloody nightmare :brfcsmilie:

Have to agree. We seem to be desperately hoping that Roberts will return to fitness as if this will save us. This just demonstrates just how deeply in the merde we are.

Roberts might be a @#/? finisher, but he sure as hell causes more trouble for opposite defenders than any of our other squad members. At least he gives his all for the cause and shows some guts, grit and work ethic, which is more than can be said about 95% of our team.

What about the winner he scored against Fulham?

Also does anyone stop to think that our other strikers wouldn't have even got into some of the positions Roberts finds himself in?

He's a good player but a poor finisher. 20 starts, 5 sub appearances and 7 goals is a perfectly reasonable league record for a backup striker to have, and he certainly isn't a player defences enjoy playing against.

I for one do not believe the story about the wage bill - he must have been one of the lowest earners in the entire first-team squad. Surely we could have shipped out Zurab, who hardly ever features

I suspect he was packed off as punishment for his City blunder as an early sign of Sam establishing his rule, not unlike Gray was made the scapegoat by Hughes of the Chelsea debacle in his 2nd or 3rd game in charge and then sent to Siberia.

According to SA tonight Derbyshire and Gallagher cannot be recalled and he said that both preferred to have regular 1st team football over starring on BRFC's bench.

Straight from the horses mouth so it's time to move on I guess.

At the moment I can see Gally sliding the ball thru to Jonny Stead to score versus the Scum.

In every sense it feels better than the present hoof or lie-down football.First season I have

ever seen this since becoming a supporter. Very sad.

At the moment I can see Gally sliding the ball thru to Jonny Stead to score versus the Scum.

In every sense it feels better than the present hoof or lie-down football.First season I have

ever seen this since becoming a supporter. Very sad.

Yep, can't remember ever having seen football this poor in the time I've supported the Rovers (the early 70's).

It's not just the fact it's long ball, there appears to be no real direction to it our game plan to focus on.

According to SA tonight Derbyshire and Gallagher cannot be recalled and he said that both preferred to have regular 1st team football over starring on BRFC's bench.

Straight from the horses mouth so it's time to move on I guess.

As usual the horse forgot to expand on the quote, and tell us why.

So to put this one to bed, a scout has informed another MB as to why.

"because they are both registered with the 2 clubs until the 30th of june 2009, in line with the uefa legislative.

they are not rovers players again until the 1st of july 2009".

End of chat.

Its funny that, because wasnt Sam the one who said he wont let anybody go if there were no suitable replacement? I could be wrong though, might have been aimed at Roque only

El Hadj Diouff was his replacement in the squad and on the wage bill.

Has Diouf played much as an out and out striker? I doubt he was Derbs replacement, as he was more in midfield running down the right.

Derbs played more times this season as a wide player rather than an out and out striker and as Bid Sam desperately wanted Diouf, Derbs was the one who had to be sacrificed and as such Diouf was Derbs replacement in the squad.

Read that Gally and Judge have been sent a letter recalling them after 3rd may, Plymouth's last game. I would assume Matty got a greek version.

So we could go from Benni being the only fit striker to getting Roberts, Matty and Gally all available for Pompey.

Archived