BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Zurab Criticises Bentley

File under karma.....

On the day he's opened up to the Lancs Telegraph about being 'in limbo', seems Zurab's luck took another downturn today.

Looks like his Bentley GT broke down this morning, it's been dumped on road-side at top of Chapel Lane. Seems he needed to cadge a lift off Samba down to training.

Should have got a Skoda. :o

Disclaimer - the quotes aren't real. Should I have said 'an insider' or 'source', that seems to be journo lingo for 'made up guff'.

I hope we keep hold of Zurab, apart from one game against Petrov, he's generally always done a good job for us, often in thankless circumstances. Another victim of playing in a few different positions, but not strong enough in one to make it his own. Probably fallen down to a straight choice between Oojer & Zurab, rate them both myself.

He's better than Samba and Nelsen at CB and should be starting with Ooijer.

Agreed - think Oojer & Zurab were our best CB's (individually and as a pairing) last season, though they didn't play much together.

Can't help thinking why it was okay for Hughes to carry them all as a squad and now Zurab's putting his feelers out with that story, is it more he's after a move (or would consider one) or has PI told him the same thing he's told Vogel?

If he does go - which I hope he doesn't - I can't see us getting anyone as good. Hope it's not a cost-cutting exercise, he's done well for us and hope he continues to do so.

Always rated Zurab highly. However, I can also understand that at this stage of his career, he wants play more football.

Looking at the centre backs, you would always stick with Samba, as he is young and can still improve many aspects of his game.

Nelsen of course has great leadership qualities and has looked better this season. The Newcastle game showed that he is still prone to a stupid error which can be costly. I know he was coming back from injury, and was also carrying one, but he was quite poor for us last season looking back on it. So slight question mark over his position in the team, even though it would be a brave manger to drop him.

Andre Ooijer has been playing recently, abeit all over the back four. I do not think he would accept it again if he were to be left out much throughout the season.

I would be surprised if Zurab & Ooijer are still here past next summer. Shame, because on paper, it is a strong area of the squad.

Zurab is naturally a brilliant defender and its difficult to leave him out and Ive rated him very highly from the outset.

The season he was regular partners with Nelsen he was magnificent and other than a couple of lapses, giving away penalties a couple of times, with Pool being one that comes to mind, he is pretty rock solid.

He would be playing much more if it were up to me.

Nelsen is our captain so has to start, Samba is our quickest defender so I completely understand why both are first choice. Ooijer and Nelsen are both defensive leaders so perhaps are not the best combination, too many chiefs and all that. Zurab is Mr dependable, he will never let us down, I do rate him. I think he will look to move on its pretty obvious the current and previous regimes feel he is no more than back-up, pity.

Can somebody tell Ince that Zurab is one of the best defenders we have and we dont want him to leave. Hes much better than samba and nelsen...jesus

Even better than Jesus?? Blimey, didnt John Lennon get into trouble saying stuff like that?!

Given the four CB's we have at present, I honestly feel that on current form (and for the past season) Nelson is the weakest link. I say this because he is quite suspect in the tackle compared to the other three (ok only marginally so in the case of Samba), but he compensates to some extent in his "presence" and air of leadership. IMO though that is not enough, and hence I make him my 4th choice CB. Samba is the next weakest link, but only because of his inexperience; he really needs to play alongside an older and more experienced CB, and when he does so he is perfectly acceptable and does a very good job. His pace is useful and his long legs allow him to get some amazing tackles in, but he MUST have a "father figure" alongside to help his reading of the game and give him confidence.

This brings me to the two best all round CB's we have; namely Ooijer and Zurab. Both read the game very well and have excellent tackling skills, Both are confident at CB and can inspire Samba when they play alongside him, but together they are the best CB pairing we have in most games. There are exceptions were the pace of Samba and the reading and inspirational qualities of Ooijer are necessary such as in games against Chelsea or Man.U or other sides with fast attacking players.

So I would have Ooijer and Zurab for most games, and Ooijer with Samba as second choice, Zurab and Samba as third choice. Sorry Admiral!

IMO though that is not enough, and hence I make him my 4th choice CB. Samba is the next weakest link, but only because of his inexperience; he really needs to play alongside an older and more experienced CB, and when he does so he is perfectly acceptable and does a very good job. His pace is useful and his long legs allow him to get some amazing tackles in, but he MUST have a "father figure" alongside to help his reading of the game and give him confidence.
I agree with that and the theory reminds me of Hendry and Moran.

Rover6 - You could do that with all our defenders, and you could do it a lot with Nelsen and Samba.

Zurab needs to play, at his position, which is CB. Zurab has suffered at his last two clubs by only ever seemingly getting his chance at RB, which is not his position.

Surely after this evening he should get a chance at centre back? We've got the second worst defensive record in the league, it's not like it can get much worse by playing him there. Everything to gain and nothing to lose, as they say.

Archived