BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

Interesting the comparisons with Brad and Robbo, Majiball may well tell you of the disaster which was Friedel at Liverpool!!!

He came to Rovers and was a revelation, Confidence and belief in your own ability are vital, without it you dont come for crosses, become indecisive and then neither the defence or the keeper know where they are!

Another point here regarding the ratio of shots against him, it is easier to be on your game when the shots are flying in, you are ready for it, but a keeper, like a good slip fielder at cricket is worth his salt when maybe the only one in the game flies at you and you deal with it, that is concentration and proffesionalism.

Give Robbo the support you gave Brad, call him Englands number 1, lift him, he will repay us as a club a hundred times over if we do that, look what happened to James, yes he made errors, but has been awesome at Pompy for most of the time!!

I'll go with that kelbo, I'll chant 'Englands number one' to gee the lad up, but on here anything he does that seems to be ongoing to his and the teams detriment has to be highlighted.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree we should get behind Robbo 100%, but it's looking more and more like those glory days all those years ago were a purple patch. Brad was an exception, he wasn't really getting much first team football etc etc, but once he started playing regularly he instantly came good.

Robbo hasn't even been making too many howlers, it's just his all round game (especially his shot stopping) hasn't been upto the same standards as the keepers around us.

Robbo hasn't even been making too many howlers, it's just his all round game (especially his shot stopping) hasn't been upto the same standards as the keepers around us.

His shot stopping is OK except with shots along the ground. Apart from that and his inability to cope with high balls into the area he is fine. :mellow: I guess what I am trying to say is that he's good between 3ft and 6ft and at kicking. :unsure:

Still what do I know about footballers compared to Paul Ince? <_<

I was looking for the Allardyce thread, but this seems to have morphed into goalkeepers in recent times... anyway not to be deliberately controversial but am I the only one who doesn't think Sam has done that great a job?! Given the run of "easier" fixtures we've had, we're still in the drop zone. Things will only get tougher (unless we just end up playing Sunderland EVERY week) and I'm starting to really fear for us...

I was looking for the Allardyce thread, but this seems to have morphed into goalkeepers in recent times... anyway not to be deliberately controversial but am I the only one who doesn't think Sam has done that great a job?! Given the run of "easier" fixtures we've had, we're still in the drop zone. Things will only get tougher (unless we just end up playing Sunderland EVERY week) and I'm starting to really fear for us...

I don't think he's done that well either but it is early days and he did have a lot to do in terms of rebuilding a defensive unit, restoring confidence and rebuilding the team/manager relationship. We are still definitely in a lot of trouble and i don't think anyone would deny that. I don't like the guy as is well-documented, but I think it's far too soon to judge him on his record. Most of those easier games we would have lost under the previous regime.

Interesting the comparisons with Brad and Robbo, Majiball may well tell you of the disaster which was Friedel at Liverpool!!!

He came to Rovers and was a revelation, Confidence and belief in your own ability are vital, without it you dont come for crosses, become indecisive and then neither the defence or the keeper know where they are!

Another point here regarding the ratio of shots against him, it is easier to be on your game when the shots are flying in, you are ready for it, but a keeper, like a good slip fielder at cricket is worth his salt when maybe the only one in the game flies at you and you deal with it, that is concentration and proffesionalism.

Give Robbo the support you gave Brad, call him Englands number 1, lift him, he will repay us as a club a hundred times over if we do that, look what happened to James, yes he made errors, but has been awesome at Pompy for most of the time!!

I would but people will always see Robbo as Brad's replacement and not as himself. He will always be compared to the Big man. It would seem he blagged the whole nation for 41 caps, along with several top managers, he's being found out now though and his past must have been the sun shining on a dogs arse.

Conversely, realisation that you aren't very good at coming for crosses affects confidence. Robbo's form is nothing to do with confidence. You can get over a lack of confidence a hell of a lot quicker than Robinson is taking. When was this lapse in confidence dented - years ago?

I'm not expecting much more than we're seeing now.

Some people never get over falls from grace, its all about the individual on the subject of Psychology. What takes you ten minutes to get over may take someone else years.

Everyone has seen what Robbo is capable off. So you either believe he can get back to that level or you don't? I do.

So does Sam:

"Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce is backing keeper Paul Robinson to become England's number one once again, despite missing out on Fabio Capello's squad to face Spain. (Express)" Source:BBC

I always believed Sam would stand by Robbo, now and into the future.

I think that this is his strong point! It's the crosses that make me cover my eyes!

Here's an attempt to unify both threads of discussion.

In the last ten games before Allardyce took over (nine featuring Robinson I believe), we conceded 26 goals.

In the ten games Allardyce has been in charge (nine featuring Robinson I believe), we have conceded 7 goals.

So Sam has had a pretty dramatic effect if you ask me. Ten games either side of the appointment is enough to say its not luck and also I hope is too long to be put down to beginner's luck or honeymoon.

From a keeping perspective the seven goals were:

City 1- tap-in from 6 yard line after defender's header mis-cued.

City 2- first time shot by £32m forward from 10 yards after pass was threaded through the defence from left to wide right

Bolton 1 - cannot remember

Bolton 2 - tap-in on the goal line after three blocks

Sunderland 1 - accurate first time driven goal across the keeper from deflected shot/pass into striker's path

Villa 1 - deflected driven shot across goal

Villa 2 - driven shot from 8 yards to far post deflected in at near post

I think it is very difficult to lay more than perhaps two of those as Robinson's issues and even then you have to be hyper critical and say Brad might only have saved the Robinho equaliser for City and Healy's strike for Sunderland but I have seen him beaten by those sorts of first time driven shots across him as well.

So does Sam:

"Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce is backing keeper Paul Robinson to become England's number one once again, despite missing out on Fabio Capello's squad to face Spain. (Express)" Source:BBC

I always believed Sam would stand by Robbo, now and into the future.

Thats the confidence building we are talking about. One week after the transfer window slammed shut he's hardly going to say he's crap and that he wahts to replace him asap in May is he?

In the last ten games before Allardyce took over (nine featuring Robinson I believe), we conceded 26 goals.

In the ten games Allardyce has been in charge (nine featuring Robinson I believe), we have conceded 7 goals.

So Sam has had a pretty dramatic effect if you ask me. Ten games either side of the appointment is enough to say its not luck and also I hope is too long to be put down to beginner's luck or honeymoon.

I'd be interested to see the stats regarding goals scored under Ince/Sam - shoring up the defence is important but 0-0 everyweek will see us relegated. We also have to take into account that Ince's ten games were against better opposition.

There's obviously been an improvement, I'm just not convinced it's going to be enough - and I'm an optimist by nature :blink:

Facts are indisputable normally but Sam at 50+ would have scored the chance that Roberts missed at Sunderland for sure and he would no doubt have made a better job of holding the ball out of harms way against Man City as gormless Matty Derbyshire did. And I've also a feeling he'd have notched with the pan v Notlob that Benny screwed up with.

Those were a collection of absolutely unbelievable errors made by experienced professional footballers with international experience. How tf can the manager be blamed for that?

If you hadn't been swilling ale in Rishton and been at Ewood like you used to be you would have seen RSC subbed with a toe injury. Still why let the facts get in the way of a good moan eh?

:rover: bloody hell not only a clairvouyant you know of injuries no one else has heard of,if he was injured why have him on the bench.what you don't like lardarse has failed to strengthen the team,kept someone who wants to leave to the detrement of the club.we needed at least 4 players in the transfer window and ended up with a freebie and spit the dog :angry::brfcsmilie:

I think, listening to Sam's recent comments, in particular following our failure in the transfer window, that he judges the situation the club is in,to be far worse than he thought.

That's the way it seems to pretty much all the supporters Paul. More, or just as worryingly, is the total silence from anyone in authority at Ewood. The closed season, transfer windows come and go one after another and there's nothing from the people who matter to say which direction, if indeed there is one, the club is aiming for.

Sometimes it's what's not said that's significant.

I am finding it all really funny.

This is funny though Bucky, and I swear this is no lie-I had a dream about you last. Dreamt we met in a muddy farmyard, trying to get an old van started. You were slightly chubby, with a mustache and glasses, but very pleasant and affable.

No offence, but I really did!

This is funny though Bucky, and I swear this is no lie-I had a dream about you last. Dreamt we met in a muddy farmyard, trying to get an old van started. You were slightly chubby, with a mustache and glasses, but very pleasant and affable.

No offence, but I really did!

I think this post belongs here................ http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?showtopic=12923

Archived