BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Away Preview 13th December

Majiball

Well as with all seasons there comes a time when you reach a crossroads, the path you choose determines your destiny, Saturday is ours. Wigan away should according to what we read decide what route we take to ensure our survival, a win is vital, required and must be achieved.

Wigan are premier league babies having climbed up the leagues to reach the heady heights of the Promised Land and did so in 2004/05 after finishing second. The little northern town that if they had had their way back in the 1930’s would probably have been competing with Celtic and Rangers in the Scottish leagues. Wigan are scrappers always destined to battle bravely against the odds, unfortunately such is our fall that it’s now us who must battle the odds.

William hill has us at 11/5 for the win and Wigan come in at evens, it’s gonna be close, Ya Know. So not even the bookies have faith in us, a draw looks the most likely outcome. A draw is no good for us we must battle against the opinion of the rest of the country, but don’t we always. The club that everyone disregards have to prove themselves all over again.

We have a great track record against Wigan in recent times losing only once since 1986, in this fixture last season, it would seem even last year we defended like manikins at times, Ya Know. But one defeat gives us hope.

The statto’s can check it all out here: Rovers, Wigan Head to Head

But really who cares about the history between the two of us yes it’s a derby and the cheapest game you will see all year, but the futures at stake.

We all know the scenario god knows most of us spend too much time here chasing snippets and swapping broadsides. So I caught up with a friend of mine who coaches at one of my local academies for a wonder round the Wirral, a pint, and a chat.

The man in question comes from yes you’ve guessed it Blackburn and whilst he’s another of those red shirt wearing fools, his family are rovers through and through.

So what do you think of Rovers to date so far?

What do you say, seriously? My old man’s stopped going after many a moon he says he can’t take it anymore. Personally I’m not that surprised to see you around the bottom but never thought it would go like this.

Now I need to explain why we met in the Wirral I’m hoping to catch Mr Ince himself and see if he’ll contribute so we carried on wondering round the Wirral. We thought we had spotted him in one pub but it was just full of his mates.

CJ029.jpg

So on we went.

So how do ya think Ince is doing?

(Starts laughing) Too much too soon, but would you have turned it down? No neither would I. I never thought he would end up as he has done; it’s quite a flip-round Rovers are normally a shining example of what can be done with little or nothing. A lot of questions have to be asked all round we were all surprised he got it, even I have more experience than him and I’m better qualified. But the talking and opinions come from the games, your pretty at times in fact your remind me of WBA and we all know where they are going. But it’s not all down to Paul.

I had to comment to him on how successfully he had skirted round the question and suggested we move to the local posh golf club, Perhaps Ince is having tea there after a round of golf I thought.

When finally the waiter came along, he seemed more interested in telling people where he had worked before.

gallery6-toe.jpg

So do Ya think Rovers will get out of this mess?

I hope so, I maybe a red but my families from there and I always check the result. Some sort of change is needed it’s just not working. But it’s going to need everyone to pull together, to put their opinions to one side and support the lads for the benefit of the team. I have doubts over whether Ince is the man to do it, but I also know about the finances at the club, so I guess I wish you good luck, you’ll need it.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways my mate needed to pick up his cinema tickets so we popped down. Just so you know there’s a new film coming out looks like it could be a rollercoaster of a story.

BigTimeCharlie2222.jpg

While we were waiting in the queue I posed another question:

So what do you think has gone wrong at Rovers?

Don’t as k for much do you? What do you expect really you know as well as me how it works. At the end of the day Rovers have done it too themselves, consolidation was needed after Hughes went, experience. Rovers are a gambling club, you do it with transfers, managers you don’t always win in gambling you should know all about that Majiball. Rovers seem to have lost the plot at all levels, indecision is a footballers enemy and too much of its going on, it will be the death of the club. Without being involved it’s difficult to comment, but from outside I think it’s time for a change.

What do you think of Inces dealings so far?

Robinson was a shrewd move; 3.5M for an England international is great business. Fowler, he’s a legend round here so I’ll whisper “I reckon its Ince’s way of paying back a gambling debt he owes him”, No idea what he’s doing at the club TBH it doesn’t make sense, a signing of hope. Grella when I have seen him play I’ll comment, Andrews well he’s find of the season he is. “What I replied, you could never hold your beer mate”. Seriously he’s a victim, if you where offered it you’d take it, he was never signed to play regularly and has been dropped right in it, no-one expected Reid or Dunn to get injured that never happens. However I’m sure he’ll be stand-out next season once you’re playing more on his level.

That last comment meant he had to buy me a drink I was not impressed, tongue in cheek indeed. Well after spending the day looking for a glimpse of Incey I left empty handed having not tracked him down.

So there it is hope, that’s the best an ex-pro can come up with. We all know how important today is so I won’t drone on about it, there’s 200+ pages on the Ince thread for that. But I’ll leave you with my rally cry.

This is how you need to be on Saturday Ince!!!!

gallery10-toe.jpg

Make sure you turn up like this and deal out some punishment to Wigan.

Otherwise this will be the scene at the after match meal.

last_supper.jpg

Your choice, but choose wisely my son!

We all know where you'll be sat don't we Paul should it happen. The most worrying thing about all this is who took Judas's place I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Paul "Judas" Ince's Replacement?

My Thanks go to Theno for posting in between so I could get the images up, TOP MAN, and Modes98 for editting it.

Nice preview.

Too punch drunk to make a result prediction but I will say that Wigan's strengths look alarmingly to be in the places we are weakest.

West Brom to win however just to make life that bit more interesting...

wigan are very weak at the back , especially if their liability titus Bramble plays - there last line of defence kirkland as saved them on numerous occasions of recent . Going forward if zaki plays he could give our defence a very torrid time - tough one to call but still hoping we win even if just prolongs inces stay for a week longer .

INCE OUT

We really really need Grella and Dunn back, and physio room seems to reckon that the big man Grella will be available. Dunn on the other hand will not be around until about Christmas which is pretty desperate.

I am loathe to mess with the team at the moment but we need to score goals which we are not doing. We also need defensive stability. Personally I would go for:

--------------------Cruz

-----------------McCarthy

--Pedersen---------------------Derbyshire

-------------Tugay-----Grella

Warnock---Samba-----Ooijer-----Emerton

------------------Robinson

I would pay with two holding in the middle and McCarthy dropping off and give Derbyshire and Pedersen licence to get extremely forward. Their work rate against Liverpool was quite exceptional, and Pedersen looked dangerous so we want them to get in and support the sttikers.

Putting Tugay and Grella in the middle should mean we can retain the ball a bit. Emerton moves to right back with licence to go ont he overlap as he does brilliantly, Warrnock has a more defensive remit.

However I am almost certain Ince will line us like this:

--------------Cruz----Derbyshire

Pedersen---Andrews----------Emerton

-------------------Tugay/Grella

-Warnock----Nelsen----Samba---Ooijer

------------------Robinson

Big,Big game for Incey and Blackburn Rovers Football club. I assume this is one of the 9 games that Mr Williams has said we must win

team should be

Robinson

Oojier Nelson Samba Warnock

Emerton Tugay Vogel Gamst

McCarthy Santa

lets hope we will not be singing "Your not fit to manage us after the match) and we will be coming away from the JJB with 3 much needed points.

team should be

(if you're posting yours twice gaz then so am I ;) - didn't realise the other one wasn't the match thread)

I virtually agree with your team, although I'd change the midfield;

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Samba Warnock

Simpson Emerton Tugay Pedersen

Santa Cruz McCarthy

I'm fed-up of us being powderpuff in the centre. Emerton is by far the best player we have for that position at present, so put him there. He can be the legs and Tugay can be the craft. Simpson on the right isn't ideal but he can't be any worse than everyone else we try. He's got pace and, according to Man Utd fans this summer, is good at attacking with a decent cross on him. Did well against Spurs when he came on, well I thought anyway.

Although, I agree with the team Joey said we're likely to put out.

Saturday has BACK TO BSIC written all over it.

4-4-2 is the formation.

replace Ooijer with Simpson (pace)

keep samba and nelsen together with warnock as left back.

Emerton Tugay and Vogel and MGP

RSC and Benni.

Subs

Zurab, Brown, Derbyshire, Roberts, Carlos, Olsson plus 1 more.

The way forward ? Heskey and Camara plus Zaki are going to cause us real problems. Rovers have to be robust and man mark Valencia. Take him out of the game and their supply line is cut.

Their middle is the weak link. Thy expect to have Scharner back but with Bramble he is ripe for mistakes. Rovers should on paper be stronger. Its a battle of wills, whoever is up for it takes the points.

IT WONT BE PRETTY

IT WONT BE PRETTY

So no change there then.

Since most won't I'll stick my neck out 2-1 Rovers and the saga will continue. However this year I have a unique record in that I am yet to witness victory in the flesh. Anyways my monies on Wigan half time and Rovers full time with Andrews to score the winner.

I am keen to see how much effort is put in by the lads, given the mixed rumours of discontent in the camp.

I think we should play

................Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelsen Warnock

..........Grella Vogel Tugay

Santa Cruz..................Pedersen

................McCarthy

A decent back 4, 3 players in the middle who can put their foot on the ball and actually pass to a player and keep possession and let the front 3 roam and do the damage up front.

50/1 on another 3-0 victory.

Since most won't I'll stick my neck out 2-1 Rovers and the saga will continue. However this year I have a unique record in that I am yet to witness victory in the flesh. Anyways my monies on Wigan half time and Rovers full time with Andrews to score the winner.

The key to victory is to keep Andrews away from the pitch young man

The key to victory is to keep Andrews away from the pitch young man

He was signed as a squad player, its not his fault Ince did not think that Reidy or Dunny who have spent more than halve their careers on the table would not be back there.

When I gamble I take of my Rovers Hat. Paul Ince will play Andrews at some point and what odds that the signing no-one else but Ince wanted saves his bacon.

And thank you for the compliment, its not everyday someone my age gets called young, it must be my moisturiser. But just so you know my ears still work perfectly!

Yes, we know you don't like Andrews for seemingly non-footballing reasons, we don't need it drummed into us every single day. Getting worse than JAL and Dunn.

Its because of footballing reasons that I think he is useless in a Rovers shirt. I have witnessed forst hand his inability to play football.

I cant think of any other reason why I should dislike him :lol:

He was signed as a squad player, its not his fault Ince did not think that Reidy or Dunny who have spent more than halve their careers on the table would not be back there.

When I gamble I take of my Rovers Hat. Paul Ince will play Andrews at some point and what odds that the signing no-one else but Ince wanted saves his bacon.

And thank you for the compliment, its not everyday someone my age gets called young, it must be my moisturiser. But just so you know my ears still work perfectly!

Why as a squad player majiball when we needed more than just a squad player, its damming of Ince and his knowledge and understanding of the requirements of todays premier league. Ince has to take the blame for his naivity if hes too thick to understand his mistakes then what hope is there for the immediate future of Blackburn Rovers football club.

Its just one of along list of mistakes made by Paul Ince during his tenure in such a short space of time at Ewood Park yet Inces arrogance is he thinks he knows it all.

I think this is a really tough game for us regardless of our form.

They have just come off a 5 game unbeaten run, losing to Arsenal at the Emirates. They have been a bit inconsistent like most teams, but have some really decent players. Heskey has been in good form and Zaki as well looks a handful so we will need to defend well. In midfield, with Valencia and Palacios they have a bit of class as well.

Yes, we know you don't like Andrews for seemingly non-footballing reasons, we don't need it drummed into us every single day. Getting worse than JAL and Dunn.

I think you'll find 1864 talking about his footballing ability or lack of it to be precise.

By the way were is super duper Dunny :rolleyes:

Why as a squad player majiball when we needed more than just a squad player, its damming of Ince and his knowledge and understanding of the requirements of todays premier league. Ince has to take the blame for his naivity if hes too thick to understand his mistakes then what hope is there for the immediate future of Blackburn Rovers football club.

Its just one of along list of mistakes made by Paul Ince during his tenure in such a short space of time at Ewood Park yet Inces arrogance is he thinks he knows it all.

Whooo there I never said he was what we needed, merely described the situation as was.

He should have thought more about Dunns injury record and Reids, but as always Hindsight is a wonderfully useless thing. If he learns from it its the best we can expect. We've had a number of injuries this year they need to figure out if there's a route cause.

Look I don't disagree his time is up and should already be so, unfortunatly it would seem if we do it the situation does not improve. Rock and a Hard place, I completely sympathise with JW's position (before some say it, it does not matter how much he gets paid he loves this club like one of us, could you really make this decision?).

With regret I must admit the ideal senario for all parties is for Ince to succeed and JW will hang on in there with it till its absolutly no longer possible. Defeat on Saturday should spell the end, 3 points from 33 will see no wins in 11, I wonder what the record is? (Winless run). I do wonder what a draw would bring? Is a point enough for him I would suspect so.

Perilous is the position we find ourselves in no matter what way we go its a massive gamble, lets hope JW is a gambling man.

Archived