BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview

MCMC1875

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been an astonishing turn around really. Players who were being purported for sale on here look like match winners all of a sudden.

The only difference appears to be renewed spirit and a willingness or instructions to play much narrower. It leaves the centre backs far less exposed to pace. Out muscling them isn't going to work so you're halfway their. Stoke didn't play any way that would exploit that as a weakness but Sunderland do and I feared the worst. Simple change in tactics from the wide expansive game (especially with no real wingers) to a narrow tight game and bingo.

Injury to Dunn is a major worry - looks a class apart - maybe Andrews is picking things up from him?

Football has been far better than I expected too and although City will be hard to stop scoring - Hey keep a clean sheet and you never know!

Wonder what Ince is thinking now?

I've seen Roberts' miss and to be honest it was bad, but not the end of the world. It makes it 'worse/ that it was the last minute.

We have a clean sheet and are now two undefeated.

We move on to the City game stronger and more confident.

I've seen Roberts' miss and to be honest it was bad, but not the end of the world. It makes it 'worse/ that it was the last minute.

Add that to the THREE one v ones with the Stoke goalkeeper (fortunately one fell to MaCarthy for a goal) doesnt make the striker look good especially when we are struggling for points at the bottom of the league.

It's all still related. If he isn't fit enough to play after several months out, then that could quite easily be the cause of a new injury. In fact, becoming injured within two games of returning suggests to me that that is the case.

If we left it up to Dunny to declare himself fully fit he'd never play would he?

It's been an astonishing turn around really. Players who were being purported for sale on here look like match winners all of a sudden.

when allardyce came 10 days ago i'd have taken 5 points from the three remaining matches of 2008 ... our very own annus horriblis.... So we are on course and but for a strange miss from roberts we'd have exceeded that.

The best thing confidence wise is keeping two clean sheets, I'd pointed out early doors that we were going to need to score 3 to win but SA's tightened things up considerably.

btw ....... anybody else think that miss was weird. Fair play to him for getting there but Roberts seemed to be shaping his body up to place it just inside the post as if there was a keeper in the nets! If he'd aimed at the centre of the goal even a seriously nobbed shot off a bobbling ball would have gone in. :blink:

btw 2...... even weirder the ball didn't bobble!!! :wacko:

I predicted a defeat so a clean sheet and a point will do for me, but Jason Roberts' sitter was a shame. Losing Dunn will also be a big blow, but hopefully Sam can keep the side ticking over until the January window.

HE could have WALKED IT TO THE GOAL LINE DONE A HANDSTAND PLAYED SUDOKO MADE A BREW AND THEN HEADED IT IN....what a miss and to think hes been paid more in aweek than most get in a year ,if he was abrain surgeon hed take the balls out instead.Personally id drop him after that ,i know hes a honest hard grafter but hes pants at what his position is all about thats four sitters in the last month missed.

I seen the Roberts miss again this morning and it looks worse than it did yesterday. It was an open goal and it wasn't a hard angle to shoot from ffs, he was virtually in the centre of the pitch. He didn't even skim the post, it went so far wide it even went wider than the back stick holding the onion bag up!

There is just no excuse for missing at this level, he is probably paid more in a week than I do in a year and to laugh about it after he missed is disgusting! Biggest pile of ###### i've seen play up front for Rovers, i mean he can't even kick a ball properly, never mind toe poke it in a straight line!

If we go down by a few points this season then this will be why!

Sell him asap, get what we can in the Jan window and send him packing.

:angry2: :angry2: :xmas:

I seen the Roberts miss again this morning and it looks worse than it did yesterday. It was an open goal and it wasn't a hard angle to shoot from ffs, he was virtually in the centre of the pitch. He didn't even skim the post, it went so far wide it even went wider than the back stick holding the onion bag up!

There is just no excuse for missing at this level, he is probably paid more in a week than I do in a year and to laugh about it after he missed is disgusting! Biggest pile of ###### i've seen play up front for Rovers, i mean he can't even kick a ball properly, never mind toe poke it in a straight line!

If we go down by a few points this season then this will be why!

Sell him asap, get what we can in the Jan window and send him packing.

:angry2: :angry2: :xmas:

Good run and a superb 1st touch before it though. :rover:

I think it was made worse considering our position in the league and the fact that it was last minute. The main thing is at least we kept a clean sheet and finally look capable of defending again. On our day, we may have nicked that. if we can defend like that against City than I anticipate a good result. I have the feeling our home form is going to hugely improve.

On a side note, does anybody know what the chances of Roque and Grella playing tomorrow are?

You're acting as if he wanted to miss! As for the laughing, it's quite often a defence mechanism. It's not that he thinks it's hilarious, it's a way of coping with stress or embarrassment.

At least he didn't twiddle his thumbs in the box for 90mins then blaze one over at the death. He fashioned the chance for himself and worked hard throughout. I know the end-product is what matters, but turning him into a hate figure? That's a bit harsh.

You're acting as if he wanted to miss! As for the laughing, it's quite often a defence mechanism. It's not that he thinks it's hilarious, it's a way of coping with stress or embarrassment.

At least he didn't twiddle his thumbs in the box for 90mins then blaze one over at the death. He fashioned the chance for himself and worked hard throughout. I know the end-product is what matters, but turning him into a hate figure? That's a bit harsh.

I'd be more sympathetic if he done say a Roberto Baggio after the 1994 WCF penalty miss......... or maybe not :P It's just so basic and it really has cost us big time!

I don't want to make anyone a hate figure but his errors have cost us this season, WHU he missed the pen, Bolton he missed a simple header and now an open goal at Sunderland!

which of our other forwards would've got that chance? he offers us something we dont have from anyone elese, pace and stregth.

granted he isnt the best finisher, but 'he should be first out the door' is a bit harsh. He works his arse off and you could see when he scored against Stoke what it meant to him. This is the type of attitude we need at our club this season.

It was a shocker though.

it's good to be gutted with not winning though, under Ince i had become resigned to it.

we have the rioght man for the job!!

which of our other forwards would've got that chance? he offers us something we dont have from anyone elese, pace and stregth.

granted he isnt the best finisher, but 'he should be first out the door' is a bit harsh. He works his arse off and you could see when he scored against Stoke what it meant to him. This is the type of attitude we need at our club this season.

It was a shocker though.

it's good to be gutted with not winning though, under Ince i had become resigned to it.

we have the rioght man for the job!!

I'm beginning to worry about his confidence now, but a player like Roberts is just as likely to go on a goal a game spree if Sam gives him support and injects some self belief.

It was a shocker though.

Completely agree. Terrible miss but we will need him whilst we are in this battle.

Archived