BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview

MCMC1875

Guest Kamy100

Bad miss from Roberts, to be fair he used great power to get into the position. Good point, all about consistently picking up points from now and end of season if we are going to survive. The big downer is the injury to Dunn, priority to sign a central midfielder as soon as the window opens.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see how Benni made any real impact in the game apart from one move which resulted in Andrews not scoring.

I felt defensively we were good, although sometimes scrappy, as we restricted the chances to long range for Sunderland but going forward I felt we were poor. We had no creativity from our flanks and when we were in their half I didn't see Roberts or McCarthy doing anything which merits why they should partner RSC.

Its just my opinion though but I find it bemusing that you lot felt McCarthy played good.

Yes, Roberts's miss was a killer but overall I think that was a "proper' Rovers performance...........in the second half we were first to every ball.

Interesting stats:

Sunderland attacks 89% down the middle. Rovers 85%....................

Welcome back tough to beat Rovers,we missed you! 4 points from 6, could be 7 from 9 if we beat City. That would be incredible and shows just what a mess Ince caused. Roberts i have no more words for you!

Yes, Roberts's miss was a killer but overall I think that was a "proper' Rovers performance...........in the second half we were first to every ball.

Interesting stats:

Sunderland attacks 89% down the middle. Rovers 85%....................

Yup, remember just a few games ago this second half we likely would have let up a couple goals with the atrocious second half play all season. Hopefully that is being righted now.

Roberts miss is indefensible but to all those getting on his case with comments like "my gran would have scored that", well your gran's first touch would haven't given her the opportunity.

In Roberts' case "first touches" that result in an opportunity tend to be accidents.

Being an upfront-target guy means you'll usually see enough opportunities that the percentages work out and a few balls drop your way, even when you suck (like most grannies do). :lol:

Welcome back tough to beat Rovers,we missed you! 4 points from 6, could be 7 from 9 if we beat City. That would be incredible and shows just what a mess Ince caused. Roberts i have no more words for you!

Sorry? How exactly is that incredible? We played the worst team in the premiership (no matter what the table says) and then fellow strugglers.

Roberts is simply not good enough to play in this league.

Sorry? How exactly is that incredible? We played the worst team in the premiership (no matter what the table says) and then fellow strugglers.

Roberts is simply not good enough to play in this league.

A team devoid of all confidence which had averaged TWO goals against every GAME, has now managed to score THREE goals and concede ZERO, in my book that is classed as excellent management by Big Sam by sorting out our biggest issue this season-the defence. Now lets move onto the creative side of our game.

Roberts is a good footballer, if he could finish he would be playing for Chelsea not Rovers. He works his socks off upfront and will score a decent number of goals for us this year. Can you name a premiership striker (currently in the first 11) that would join a club second from bottom?

Dunn out for a month:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_4702228,00.html

That is really depressing...

Eddie i was referring to a possible 7 points out of 9 as incredible if we can beat City. Dont you ever read things properly before jumping down peoples necks? It would be an incredible turn around,after the previous 16 games under Ince.

What was the actual reason he came off? He looked to be limping but I haven't heard anything since about his injury.

[/quote

Hamstring - sad as he has been playing well since last injury. maybe Grella will be back soon.

Sorry Eddie, you can't complain about four points out of six and two clean sheets after six successive defeats and fourteen goals conceded in the four games prior to that.

If we carry on in that vein we will stay up, regardless of other results.

Having said that Roberts' miss sounds like a shocker - hope those two points lost don't cost us our Premiership status in the final analysis.

The injury to Dunn once again highlights the need for heavy investment in January, we simply can't compete well enough at this level with Dunn, Reid and Grella out.

We're in Sam's honeymoon period at the moment and need to make hay while the sun shines. Interesting to see Spuds slipping back into trouble after 'arry's own initial honeymoon period and a few fortuitous early results.

Could do with three points against Citeh now. Had Roberts scored, a point wouldn't have been the end of the world.

• Backroom
Sorry Eddie, you can't complain about four points out of six and two clean sheets after six successive defeats and fourteen goals conceded in the four games prior to that.

If we carry on in that vein we will stay up, regardless of other results.

Unfortunately we won't be playing Stoke and Sunderland every week. Under Ince we beat Sunderland, albeit in the carling Cup, and it's entirely possible an Ince-managed Rovers would have beaten Stoke.

This result and '4 out of 6' is no cause for celebration. If we beat Man City, then we'll be talking. I think we can do it, but it's going to take more than just good defensive displays - our midfield and attackers (i'm looking at you, MGP, McCarthy, Santa Cruz) need to stand up and be counted.

Unfortunately we won't be playing Stoke and Sunderland every week. Under Ince we beat Sunderland, albeit in the carling Cup, and it's entirely possible an Ince-managed Rovers would have beaten Stoke.

This result and '4 out of 6' is no cause for celebration. If we beat Man City, then we'll be talking. I think we can do it, but it's going to take more than just good defensive displays - our midfield and attackers (i'm looking at you, MGP, McCarthy, Santa Cruz) need to stand up and be counted.

The massive priority was and is stabalising the defence. Sam has done that, and it is unsurpirsing as the more players we have committed to doubling up in defence, we have blunted our forces in attack. Nonethless we look hard to break down now which is vitally important.

Man City look like they are finding form again which is worrying, but we do need something from that game. Huge problem is we are back down to haivng a very poor central midfield now Dunn is out again. It really is a big issue for us.

I wonder if Sam will have any bright ideas. We have a lot of players who can play centrally: Mokoena, Vogel, Tugay, Carlos (more as a support striker though), Andrews, Emerton. But how will Allardyce use them? THe big problem is a loss of creativity and drive without Dunn.

I think we could see a signing or two very early in the window.

Also, if Cruz is fit Sam needs to find a way to get him and Benni to play well together.

there will be more now that more effort is being put in, due to the last six months of laughable training!

True, if Dunny struggled under the easy life regime thats just left, hes no (dont use thast word again)ing chance has he!

True, if Dunny struggled under the easy life regime thats just left, hes no (dont use thast word again)ing chance has he!

Still, things are looking better I would say,

the lads are looking like a team again

:wstu:

Sorry, I rarely use that sign but between you and Tim Southampton Rover wittering about Benni today, you both deserve it!

Just seen that Jal is back in with a mincing lisp about Dunn- JAL deserves it as well!

• Backroom
:wstu:

Sorry, I rarely use that sign but between you and Tim Southampton Rover wittering about Benni today, you both deserve it!

Instead of just throwing out a random insult, why don't you explain yourself?

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic after a couple of decent games, but they were against two very, very poor teams, and any assessment of improvements under BFS should stretch to the City game and beyond. 4 out of 6 points does not mean too much, right now. 7 out of 9 will, however mean a lot more, considering City would be a team we would definately lose against under Ince.

That's all I'm saying, and I haven't really said anything about Benni Mac, except that he needs to stand up and be counted, so what's your issue?

Archived