BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview

MCMC1875

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 points from 6 is a very good return when you consider the run that we had been on. I haven't seen Roberts miss but it sounds like a complete disaster. That's why I wouldn't want to sell Roque in January, Roberts just can't be relied on to score regularly enough. He works hard, puts himself about, causes defenders problems and comes up with the odd goal. But you would think that if the ball fell at the feet of a natural goal scorer, we would have had 6 points from 6. Paul Merson, who I think speaks a lot of sense (once you actually work out what he has said :P), said last week that in big games when a chance comes to a striker in the last minute, he didn't think that Roberts would be able to take it, while Santa Cruz would and that's why it's so important that we keep him. The early signs are encouraging and if we can keep this up we have a very good chance of staying up. Beating Man Citeh would be another important result on Sunday.

It is literally inconceivable that an Ince managed Rovers would have got anything out of the last two games.

Just think about it- players were in their own positions more or less and they looked like they knew what they were doing especially when the ball was with the opposition.

As for Benni, I watched the game and so far as I was concerned, he continued to show the application and awareness he had begin to show in the Stoke game.

• Backroom
It is literally inconceivable that an Ince managed Rovers would have got anything out of the last two games.

Just think about it- players were in their own positions more or less and they looked like they knew what they were doing especially when the ball was with the opposition.

As for Benni, I watched the game and so far as I was concerned, he continued to show the application and awareness he had begin to show in the Stoke game.

An Ince managed Rovers picked up a few lucky wins (Everton, Newcastle) and beat Sunderland in the Carling Cup. I'd hardly call it inconceivable to assume he might have got something out of these games against Stoke and Sunderland. Unlikely considering our run and the performance against Wigan, but still possible.

However, Sam being in charge has likely given our players a needed boost. I firmly believe the change needed to be made and that Sam is the right man, but I'm holding off complete optimism until I see how our thus-far-underperforming players work against teams like City, Bolton and Newcastle.

I thought Benni Mac played well today, also. I hope he stays up front with RSC for whatever games are possible for that combination, and that I never see Roberts lead the line again.

Totally agree. I am amazed that he is receiving criticism today. He worked hard during the first half when our front two received little or no service at all. He showed good quality all game (the pass to set up Andrews was sublime).

I will be happy if he puts in the same level of performance that he has done for the last two games, for the rest of the season.

I heard the statistic today that we have not won two consecutive games since February - is this true? Off the top of my head it sounds correct, therefore shows that the team has been on the decline for a while now (from a purely results perspective) - did not realise it was that bad!

A lot of people are praising Benni today and going against my opinion so i'm willing to watch the game again on Football First to see if i'm wrong with my opinion. At the moment I think Roberts' missing that chance has made Benni's performance seem a lot better than it was. Fair play to McCarthy for setting up Andrews. It was a great run by Andrews and it's those chances we need to take but apart from that all Benni did was give away fouls. I think the reason why I felt he had a poor game was because there wasn't enough creativity from our midfield which restricted his performance. When he did get chances he either held onto the ball too long or they were weak attempts. After most of the game went by, I didn't feel he offered us anything which would change the game which is why I felt he should have been replaced.

Haven't seen the Roberts miss or the game today, but neither suprised me. I expected a defensiively strong performance away from home. Just a shame that Roberts couldn't finish the what sound like an absolute sitter. We all know that Roberts is capable of these sort of glaring misses, I can remember a handful of missed chances from this season alone. That chance that should have won us the game against Bolton, the chance against Chelsea which he could have done better with and I've lost count of other one-on-ones he's failed to convert, including the one against Stoke last Saturday. He seems to lose concerntration and lackscomposure when he has time to think and decide which side to slot it in.

You can't knock his general play and work-rate though. He'd make an exceptional striker in the Championship. It's just he's more of a one in three chances type of striker, which just isn't good enough for the Premiership. Which is a real shame considering he's probably our best striker in getting into the right positions to score goals. If he played every game in a season he'd probably get you 10 goals which isn't a bed return, if he could finish he'd have a lot more goals to his name and like someone already said he probably wouldn't be playing Rovers.

Good point and yet another clean sheet. Shame about Dunny picking up an (other) injury.

Roll On Citeh!

• Backroom

A win would have been huge but a draw isn't the end of the world, a few results went against us but the truth is we are now only 3 points (and some goals) away from safety.

A win on Sunday could even see us start 2009 out of the relegation zone!

Instead of just throwing out a random insult, why don't you explain yourself?

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic after a couple of decent games, but they were against two very, very poor teams, and any assessment of improvements under BFS should stretch to the City game and beyond. 4 out of 6 points does not mean too much, right now. 7 out of 9 will, however mean a lot more, considering City would be a team we would definately lose against under Ince.

That's all I'm saying, and I haven't really said anything about Benni Mac, except that he needs to stand up and be counted, so what's your issue?

To be honest I had expected the Big Sam effect to take far longer - his teams thrive on organisation, being well drilled and fit. I had feared that this would take a while to fully implement - but already we look more organised than at virtually any time under Ince.

Playing Stoke was well timed - but Sunderland were on a bit of an upper themselves - so I think it was a difficult time to play them. City will be a challenge - but if we can pick up another point or three - it will have been a good start. For me the important thing (to get out of this mess) is to keep picking up points - even if that only means draws. Keeping 0 in the against column always mean you have a chance.

A lot of people are praising Benni today and going against my opinion so i'm willing to watch the game again on Football First to see if i'm wrong with my opinion.

I watched him closely and I think you lot are mental if you would want him to play the same week in week out. He gave away fouls, caught offside, lost possession.

Just saw Roberts miss again......brilliant first touch.....open goal........even though I know what happens, I'm just hoping it rolls in.

God it makes me want to scream! :huh:

I didn't see how Benni made any real impact in the game apart from one move which resulted in Andrews not scoring.

I felt defensively we were good, although sometimes scrappy, as we restricted the chances to long range for Sunderland but going forward I felt we were poor. We had no creativity from our flanks and when we were in their half I didn't see Roberts or McCarthy doing anything which merits why they should partner RSC.

Its just my opinion though but I find it bemusing that you lot felt McCarthy played good.

Benni gave another excellent performance. He worked hard off the ball, closing down defenders and chasing lost causes. He's putting a great deal into his game at the moment - much of it off the ball or should I say away from the television camera which armchair viewers don't see.

Sunderland were rubbish at Ewood recently, but now look like Rovers, a team transformed. So we should have lost today.

It was like watching two heavyweight boxers, huge amounts of effort and desire, two resurgent teams with renewed confidence.

The game was 50:50. Sunderland were slightlyh more athletic wining more second balls but Rovers had good passing, enough to make it hard for Sunderland to mount two consecutive attacks and build up any sustained pressure at all.

Allardyce (and I was an Ince fan) has transformed the team it seems. Every player stuck his task all 93 minutes. Like last week full backs and wingers pulled infield 30 yards, defence pushing out quickly. The 6 easy offsides we picked up just added to Sunderland problems. Every one was gained by Rovers defence rather than sloppy forward play.

I expected a lot of long ball under BFS. There was some but there as some nice play too. Andrews chance was a top drawer.

Sunderland played fast desperate football determined to outplay, out muscle, out hustle, out think, out anything to beat Rovers so it was a tough game. Anything less than Allardyce's organisation would have resulted in a defeat today I believe.

Robinson 7 - must be on a catching bonus. Several important crosses caught helped ease any pressure from Sunderland. First shot to save 80 minutes - a weak shot from 25 yards straight at him.

Ouijar 7 - Sunderland played narrow but even in the second half when they tried to vary it wide had little joy down the right.

Nelsen 8 - Great game, showed great captainancy in keep pushing out the defence and squeezing the play

Samba 6 - Great desperate defending as per usual. Lost a few headers to Kenwyn Jones.

Warnock 7 - solid 110% committed. pushed on occasionally - thought BFS would have pegged the full backs back??? Clearly not.

Emerton 7 - worked his socks off. Good possesion. All the midfielders did a great up and down job.

Andrews 8 - Unsung hero. Covered miles, didn't dive in. Held a great position for BFS. Read the game as well as any other player and got up to support the attack. Didn't fade as previous. Gave odd possesion away but was behind (with Benni and Dunny) most Rovers influential player on the ball.

Dunn 7 - Great game. Started slowly but worked hard and kept getting on the ball and keeping it ticking over and going forward. Like Andrews worked back relentlessly.

MGP - 5 Poorish. Distribution, Awareness not up to it. Great free kick and fantastic pass to put Roberts n at the end, otherwise an up and down nothing player.

Benni - 7 Worked hard though he'll never cover the ground others do. Nice flicks, possesion, ball retention. Always showed for it and held it up well.

Roberts - 4 Paid to score - a golden chance. All the hard work undone!

Tugay 6 - Came on for Dunny we lost a bit of possession for a period but got into it after 15 minutes.

Sunderland were rubbish at Ewood recently, but now look like Rovers, a team transformed. So we should have lost today.

It was like watching two heavyweight boxers, huge amounts of effort and desire, two resurgent teams with renewed confidence.

The game was 50:50. Sunderland were slightlyh more athletic wining more second balls but Rovers had good passing, enough to make it hard for Sunderland to mount two consecutive attacks and build up any sustained pressure at all.

Allardyce (and I was an Ince fan) has transformed the team it seems. Every player stuck his task all 93 minutes. Like last week full backs and wingers pulled infield 30 yards, defence pushing out quickly. The 6 easy offsides we picked up just added to Sunderland problems. Every one was gained by Rovers defence rather than sloppy forward play.

I expected a lot of long ball under BFS. There was some but there as some nice play too. Andrews chance was a top drawer.

Sunderland played fast desperate football determined to outplay, out muscle, out hustle, out think, out anything to beat Rovers so it was a tough game. Anything less than Allardyce's organisation would have resulted in a defeat today I believe.

Robinson 7 - must be on a catching bonus. Several important crosses caught helped ease any pressure from Sunderland. First shot to save 80 minutes - a weak shot from 25 yards straight at him.

Ouijar 7 - Sunderland played narrow but even in the second half when they tried to vary it wide had little joy down the right.

Nelsen 8 - Great game, showed great captainancy in keep pushing out the defence and squeezing the play

Samba 6 - Great desperate defending as per usual. Lost a few headers to Kenwyn Jones.

Warnock 7 - solid 110% committed. pushed on occasionally - thought BFS would have pegged the full backs back??? Clearly not.

Emerton 7 - worked his socks off. Good possesion. All the midfielders did a great up and down job.

Andrews 8 - Unsung hero. Covered miles, didn't dive in. Held a great position for BFS. Read the game as well as any other player and got up to support the attack. Didn't fade as previous. Gave odd possesion away but was behind (with Benni and Dunny) most Rovers influential player on the ball.

Dunn 7 - Great game. Started slowly but worked hard and kept getting on the ball and keeping it ticking over and going forward. Like Andrews worked back relentlessly.

MGP - 5 Poorish. Distribution, Awareness not up to it. Great free kick and fantastic pass to put Roberts n at the end, otherwise an up and down nothing player.

Benni - 7 Worked hard though he'll never cover the ground others do. Nice flicks, possesion, ball retention. Always showed for it and held it up well.

Roberts - 4 Paid to score - a golden chance. All the hard work undone!

Tugay 6 - Came on for Dunny we lost a bit of possession for a period but got into it after 15 minutes.

I agree with all of those except Roberts. Despite the miss he didn't have a bad game. If he had put it in he would have been labelled a hero for managing to turn his man like that. Hero/Villain situation. I would say a 5/6, he wasn't great but the miss aside, he did his job.

:wstu:

Sorry, I rarely use that sign but between you and Tim Southampton Rover wittering about Benni today, you both deserve it!

Just seen that Jal is back in with a mincing lisp about Dunn- JAL deserves it as well!

Hes (Dunn)been injured on and off for the last five years only one eyed idiots support Dunny Philipl, dont cast yourself into that group.

Archived