BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Coventry Fa Cup (replay) Preview

so let me get this right if we play a weakened side and go out of the cup we would be guaranteed to stay up??

ITS NOT A GIMME! lets WIN our next game !!!!!

Of course there is no guarantee that being knocked out of the cup means we will survive.

But if the team has just one thing to focus on i.e. the premier league then it could boost our survival chances. We have seen plenty of sides over the years struggle in the league as they were more focused on the cup competitions.

You also have to keep in mind more games = more chance of injuries. We already have several players out with long term injuries and we have several players who are injury prone.

Like I said if we weren’t fighting for our lives in the league I would want to see us give 100% in the cup.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so let me get this right if we play a weakened side and go out of the cup we would be guaranteed to stay up??

ITS NOT A GIMME! lets WIN our next game !!!!!

Exactly Abbey and should be for any game.

Irritates me completely when the clubs go on about this - the Premier League isn't the be all and end all - and it hurts me when fans feel the same way even if it has a detrimental affect on the club ( there are market matters that are doing this anyway regardless of whether we stay in the P/L or not)

If we go down we go down - as even without this cup game we are making a complete hash of staying up anyway and its all hypothetical until the end of the season.

This is one of the major trophies in our domestic season , silverware folks - yes silverware which is what the game is about. We have made the big faux pas where the draw has been favourable to us and we have slipped up with the succeeding team getting decent draws in the next round.

They can stuff the tired and malarkey irritant - you don't hear the likes of Swansea etc complaining and they have a chance of coming up.

This could turn out to be the most important game of our season and should have the respect it deserves - get the game signed sealed and delivered then think about giving players a rest.

thats rubbish rvr...we should try and win every game!!!!

Agreed

The failure to put out the strongest team is cheating the paying public.

Its no wonder that fans are turning their backs on the game.

The excuse of resting players due to league status/survival doesnt wear.

A winning team breeds confidence

Heck, the players are paid well enough, is it to much to ask that they sweat blood and tears for 90min.

oops sorry the little darlings dont live inthe real world do they.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the FA Cup and its importance this season.

But that's the thing its not just this season - its important every season regardless

Again its a one of the major trophies in the domestic season and one we are quite capable of winning if we put our mind to it and the draw is kind.

But that's the thing its not just this season - its important every season regardless

Again its a one of the major trophies in the domestic season and one we are quite capable of winning if we put our mind to it and the draw is kind.

Don't get me wrong I am torn over the whole issue as I regard the FA Cup the greatest cup competition in the world and would love to see us win as we have an illustrious history in this competition. To be part of a small group of teams that have won the domestic treble of Premier League title, League and FA Cup would be something special as well.

But the league comes as first priority for me. If we had owners who put money into the club then I wouldn’t be so concerned, but as we don’t relegation could be the first death nail in the club. We’ve seen bigger clubs like Forest and Leeds not recover from the drop. We can’t find a buyer for the club and we are in arguably the best football league in the world, imagine how hard it would be to find someone to come in and invest in the club in the championship or lower.

If we beat Coventry i will of course be happy but at the same time if we get dumped out i couldn't care less.

What is every fans hope at the start of every season that we will win some kind of silverware surely. The prem lg is becomong a bore because of the leagues within a league at least the cup competitions offer a route to success after all what is the point of supporting your club from my point of view it is not to play lame football just to stay up. Are you telling me that the players wouldn't be interested in striding out at wembley on a sunny May saturday or even in April now. They should be busting a gut for the cause. I want to win the FA cup and stay in the premier lg end off. Coventry at home and the luck of the draw in the QF and wembley beckons. Will not a good cup run boost confidence and the profile of our club ? Our history is stacked with FA cup traditions all be it long before we were here but it still is our history. Call me old fashioned

What is every fans hope at the start of every season that we will win some kind of silverware surely. The prem lg is becomong a bore because of the leagues within a league at least the cup competitions offer a route to success after all what is the point of supporting your club from my point of view it is not to play lame football just to stay up.

Staying in the premier league is for money and business reasons alone. Unfortunately because of the unhealthy state of premier league football, 133 years of footballing tradition is now mortgaged on our survival in this insidious league.

We therefore forget that football is a sport and basically weaken our team to be deliberately less competitive in one competition so we can tread water in another. Thereby handing our opponents an advantage in the process. This is cheating in my eyes.

Cheating the history, cheating the fans and basically taking money under a false pretence. We support the club for the chance to win something. That is the fundamental idea behind sports.

When finishing 17th is more important than winning the FA Cup then football as a sport is dead.

A single goal to take the game. Cant see anymore than 1 goal as Rovers will have a second string out whilst Coventry wont really be up for all out attacking football like they were when they did us last season.

I fancy a Carlos special to take us through.

I think we will treat this tie seriously.

We have a number of players on International duty which are: Andrews, Zurab, Grella, Mokeona, McCarthy, Pedersen and Ooijer. I imagine all of these will be rested.

Therefore you could line up:

Robbo

Simpson Samba Nelsen Warnock

Carlos Tugay Dunn Treacy (Yes, give him another chance)

Roberts Cruz

If we win this tie, we are in the q/finals of the fa cup and one game away from Wembley!

Coventry home is not a banker like last season showed but it's a great chance to progress.

I will be gutted and seriously annoyed if we don't go through. Yes the league is a priority but a cup run is great for team spirit and confidence.

I went to the worthington cup final Cardiff 2002 and to the semi final at old trafford 2 years ago. Even though the results where different, awesome days indeed.

This is a pic from sam platts i took before the game, the atmo was incredible!

2421510226a4329251110b95056745l.jpg

I'm not tall, I was just standing on a table!

Another quality game to look forward to, sure Villaneuva will start and Zurab, hopefully Treacy will be knowhere to be seen.

Of the academy lads will Andy Howarth, Aaron Doran play along with Olsson.

Surely most of the first team regulars that dont have a good reserve player to challenge them will be involved.

David Dunn desperately needs to get his wide arse moving in this game and be involved.

Just hope the public of Blackburn get their lazy arses down to Ewood to cheer on the blue and whites, enough said.

I've got mixed feelings about it in all honesty, its a tricky one.

Firstly though Warnock's comments have dissappointed me a bit, fair enough it's not the biggest priority but to say it means 'nothing' is a bit full on. Surely something like, 'On the day the players selected will try their hardest to win the game but we'll have one eye on our next league fixture.' would have sounded better.

I don't see that the potential 4 or so extra games are going to be the difference in our season, getting a win anywhere can be uplifting to the team and set them on a roll. It gives players the chance like Roque to discover their goalscoring touch and also the chance for Sam to look at one or two other players such as Villanueva again. (Who if, and it's a massive IF, he could somehow get a little stonger he could have a late impact for us similar to what Tevez did for West Ham a few years ago, not to the same extent but he certainly looks capable of scoring or creating a few goals.)

What gives you more confidence going into the Man Utd game? A 3-0 win with Roque and Carlos chipping in with goals and a place in the next round or being beaten by Coventry once again after a dissapointing and uninspiring 1-0 defeat? I certainly know which one I prefer.

The mixed feelings are the chance of injuries but then that's always the case even with training. Sure rest people like Dunn if he genuinely needs a rest but if you start putting out mickey mouse teams then you end up with replays which defeats the object of wanting to avoid the extra game!

Sure rest people like Dunn if he genuinely needs a rest but if you start putting out mickey mouse teams then you end up with replays which defeats the object of wanting to avoid the extra game!

Are you taking the micheal regarding Dunn and needing a rest or have you been away for most of the season :rolleyes: ?

Are you taking the micheal regarding Dunn and needing a rest or have you been away for most of the season :rolleyes: ?

Maybe rest wasn't the right word but I hear he is playing through the pain barrier, it could well be that the game could help him and not hinder him, still if there is any doubt he shouldn't be risked, if the match practice will help then play him.

FA Premiership:

Champions: 1994-95

Runners-up: 1993-94

Division One:

Champions: 1911-12, 1913-14

Runners-up: 2000-01

Division Two:

Champions: 1938-39

Runners-up: 1957-58

Play-Off Winners: 1991-92

Division Three:

Champions: 1974-75

Runners-up: 1979-80

FA Cup:

Winners: 1884, 1885, 1886, 1890, 1891, 1928

Runners-up: 1882, 1960

Football League Cup:

Winners: 2002

Full Members Cup:

Winners 1987

I just cannot believe, that any supporter or player would not wish to see Rovers win the FA Cup, or any other competition for that matter.

Sure Premier league survival is paramount, but for me, to add to the memories of the victories above and see Rovers win the FA Cup would come only second to 94-95.

To see rovers win the three major domestic trophies would be a life time dream (some clubs supporters get the chance every season) and one step nearer to winning the five major competitions in England and Europe.

The EC I doubt I will ever see lifted by the captain of Rovers, so two to go, then I can rest in peace. :brfcsmilie::rover:

I just hope that the axe starts. He really deserves another chance. He could play a very good role for our team. If someone out there knows what it is please tell me... But he really could be class and these games should be his bread and butter. We need to win this. Otherwise its a negative team spirit. Roque could do with a goal and he will get it.

Archived